PDA

View Full Version : First WSM cook

Coz
01-01-2008, 09:29 PM
I was lucky and found a pair of used WSMs close to home and forced myself to wait till today to do the first cook.I did a chicken and was very impressed how well the cooker held temp in spite of the temps we had to work with today 5-12 degrees.(Insert Harbormaster says I told ya so.LOL)I may have had a little more wood then needed but it wasnt overbearing.After the chicken the wife tried the bacon weave thing but I didnt get a pic of that.It looked nice but we didnt leave it on long enough.If it had crisped up a little more it would have been great,still tasty but not done enuff for my liking.Now all I gotta learn is not to let the water pan run dry.DOH

swamprb
01-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Cool! Glad you finally got the WSM's! If you do the flower pot mod to the waterpan you'll never add H20 again!

yelonutz
01-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Actually one of the first things you need to learn is to get rid of the water pan. Either google "Piedmont Pan" or "The virtual weber bullet" Your gonna love yourself in the morning!! Nutz

Harbormaster
01-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey man that looks better than any bird I've ever pulled off a WSM.
(Maybe cuz I only do bird pieces? Been meaning to do a whole bird.)
So what all did you do to the bird, and how did it taste?

DaChief
01-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Looks good....esp for your first WSM experience!

sfisch
01-02-2008, 07:50 AM
You did good, whats next?

Scott

Larry Wolfe
01-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Nice first cook! Looks like you gotta handle on how the WSM works, now lets do as the others have stated and take you right from using water in the pan to something else. I would recommend either switching to sand (fill the WSM water pan up 1/3 with play sand and double foil), or place 2 firebricks in the water pan and foil (what I have been using recently and prefer it) or the Piedmont plan. All of these methods will help give you steadier temp control as well as simple clean up (after the cook let the grease harden, then remove and toss the foil, then refoil). Plus you will never need to worry about adding or running out of water again! It will also help crisp your skin!

Divemaster
01-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Gotta love that smoked chicken... My Daughter and I did one on Sunday!!!

michiana mark
01-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Got to love that nearly set and let it go feature on that WSM. Use mine all the time. Chicken looked good.

smokinbadger
01-02-2008, 09:20 AM
That chicken looks great. What did you use for a rub?

BBQ_MAFIA
01-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Great looking Chicken

Ernie3
01-02-2008, 02:01 PM
mmm...mmm...mmm........looks great!

VA BBQ PIRATES
01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Looks Great. You will Love the WSMs. Some times I think I'm the only one still using the water pan. I do use a Brinkman Charcoal pan in place of the weber water pan. It holds a lot more.

Tom

jestridge
01-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Now that chick have a nice tan. You did great! P.S. you should broke your new cooker in with pork or pork product.

icemn62
01-02-2008, 05:33 PM
What am I doing wrong? I don't recall having any problems with the water pan in my WSM. I have cooked ribs. chicken, Brisket, roasts, just about everything. I have had to refill the pan on longer cooks, but I never looked at it as a problem. Gave me a good excuse to stay around the smoker and not be able to do any "chores" while cooking, also I seem to have plenty of time to enjoy a cold one or two while cooking.

Larry Wolfe
01-02-2008, 06:01 PM
What am I doing wrong? I don't recall having any problems with the water pan in my WSM. I have cooked ribs. chicken, Brisket, roasts, just about everything. I have had to refill the pan on longer cooks, but I never looked at it as a problem. Gave me a good excuse to stay around the smoker and not be able to do any "chores" while cooking, also I seem to have plenty of time to enjoy a cold one or two while cooking.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem.........I just don't like cleaning the mess in the water pan. With the sand or brick method, clean up is as simple as changing the piece of foil. I'm lazy so that's the biggest reason I don't like to use water! :mrgreen:

Coz
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
It had plenty of water when the chicken was done.Then I opened up the bottom vent to run the heat up for the bacon weave and it still had water but then I left her run and went in and ate my fill of chicken and came back out and she had very little water.I just forgot to either add water or take the pan out after the bacon was done.I have plans for the Piedmont Pan deal when I get somewhere to get pans.Harbormaster has been schooling me a little on the WSM but till I get some where I may throw the clay pot base in and foil.Jestrige,these were used and just cleaned up and I didnt think they needed to season again.I also wanted to keep the first run nice and simple and usually chicken is something I dont Fark up.Next up will be a butt.I am going to rest the clone for a little and get aquainted with the WSMs as june( First attempt at Comp) will come before you know it,and I have a lot of confidence in the clone so its time to learn the new weapons.For those that asked all I did with this bird was pull it out of the package and wash it and let it dry a little.Then I pulled the skin away from the flesh and shook a little Plowboys Yardbird rub in there then dusted the outside with what was left of the rub and popped it in the cooker.Sad day I am out of Plowboys wife wont get any more chicken till we get more.

JD McGee
01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
WSM Flower Pot Mod...
http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x206/johnrhana/?action=view&current=6df8a022.pbw