PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Guru

Mitch
01-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I got a guru DigiQ for use with the LBGE and Stumps (not that they really need it....but what the heck). I used it on the Egg to do rib tips and the temps went too high. I started the lump (R.O.) and set the pit temp for 175*. The I bumped it up 10 degrees at a time to 250* and put the rib tips on. After an hour or so it was running to 275* and after 2 hours it was at 300*.

I had the "choke" on the blower (viper 10CFM) set to 1/2. Had the top of the daisy wheel slide open about 3/4 inch. Normally, the egg will cruise all day at 250* ... but the guru must have a bigger learning curve than I thought. Any ideas/suggestions?

MilitantSquatter
01-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Seems like you had too much airflow..

Either close the top vent slightly more or close the choke on the blower even further. Maybe a combination of the two. Have it pump less air more frequently.

I'm not that familiar with cooking on a BGE but I do have a 25 CFM fan for my medium Spicewine with the DigiQ. I keep the choke open only a sliver (maybe 1/4). It pushes air steadily but in small shots which I believe helps prevent it from running away and igniting too much.

Good Luck

Keller Steeler
01-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Agree with the above post. I have a 10 cfm fan and when I would use it on a WSM, I would choke the blower down to 1/4 or less.

Mitch
01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Agree with the above post. I have a 10 cfm fan and when I would use it on a WSM, I would choke the blower down to 1/4 or less.

How much damper (choke) do you use on the Stumps. That will be my next experiment.

vr6Cop
01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
For those temps, my daisy wheel is slid closed, and the petals are open to less than half moons. I had the same problem the first couple of times I used mine. Also, I have the 4cfm blower, and it does the trick for me perfectly.

Big Mike
01-01-2008, 09:15 PM
How much damper (choke) do you use on the Stumps. That will be my next experiment.

I got a DigiQ for christmas and I have used it on my 223 twice now. The first time I forgot to dampen down the fan and I overshot my temp. The second time I dampened it so that it was only open about 1/4". This worked really well. Once I hit my cooking temp, it stayed there.

The only thing I noticed was the fan was constantly cycling on and off through the entire cook. It would run for about 10 seconds and shut down for about 10-15 seconds. It did this through the entire cook. I cooked a 9.5lb brisket in just under 5 hours.

My next cook I am going to open it a bit more to see if I can get the fan to shut off for a longer period of time.

Keller Steeler
01-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Actually, I have never hooked it up to the Stumps, although I know quite a few that do. I "loaned" my guru about a year ago to my Dad who cooks on a WSM.

RichardF
01-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I got a DigiQ for christmas and I have used it on my 223 twice now. The first time I forgot to dampen down the fan and I overshot my temp. The second time I dampened it so that it was only open about 1/4". This worked really well. Once I hit my cooking temp, it stayed there.

The only thing I noticed was the fan was constantly cycling on and off through the entire cook. It would run for about 10 seconds and shut down for about 10-15 seconds. It did this through the entire cook. I cooked a 9.5lb brisket in just under 5 hours.

My next cook I am going to open it a bit more to see if I can get the fan to shut off for a longer period of time.

What Vinny and others said above-

The egg (and stumps) is a very efficient cooking chamber, you really need to regulate the airflow. You need to choke the blower down, probably more than you think.

The Guru is supposed to cycle frequently, almost like it's breathing. A breath every 6-seconds is what the guys from Guru talk about. You want the fan on/off to control the temp, not opening the choke on the fan.

Mitch
01-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys. I'll report back next weekend. A brisket in 5 hours? Wow! That seems real fast...unless it was cooked hot (or off a "baby" steer).

scottyd
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
call the 800 number, but for now move the slide so it closes off the fan somemore. I have one on my stumps they are great, love my digi q

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-02-2008, 07:33 PM
It really takes alot of practice to get any pit right, mu stick burner I leave open 60% of the way, my vert 100% of the way ( pit minder 10cfm) all are different!! good luck!!
Sal

Big Mike
01-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys. I'll report back next weekend. A brisket in 5 hours? Wow! That seems real fast...unless it was cooked hot (or off a "baby" steer).

I couldn't believe it either. The only thing I can figure is even though it is not putting out much air, because the fan is running so much it creates enough of a convection to where it is cooking faster.