PDA

View Full Version : Burping the Big Green Egg

Plowboy
01-01-2008, 02:26 PM
So I had heard all about "burping the Egg" all over the forums, YouTube videos, and documentation. Apparently, gases build up in the dome of the egg. If you open the lid all the way, the gases could flashback. So, you lift the lid a few inches (the burp) and then open completely. The burp allows the gasses to escape enough to hinder the flashback.

During the first cook today, I remembered the burp.... the first couple of times. Randy and I were cooking and talking away and I forgot to burp. Well, it belched! No visible flames, but you could hear the gases ignite. WHOOOM!!! The evidence was all over my hand... and the smell of burnt hair.

It was kinda cool, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

ique
01-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Ouch, flashback. Naked Whiz has a nice primer on this topic

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

Jeff Hughes
01-01-2008, 02:37 PM
It's the rapid introduction of oxygen that causes flashback. The same thing happens on my Klose firebox when I open the door when running it with the damper almost closed.

It's much more common with the egg, and seems to happen more often the more beer you drink...

swamprb
01-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the club! At least you got it out of the way on your first cook! Been over a year until I got my first taste of the flashback, I was careless and didn't burp and before it happened I knew I screwed up!
On the other side Saturday morning I fired the Egg up at 6AM and while waiting for it to stabilize, I was getting blue flames out the top around the platesetter and through the slide draft, it looked pretty cool!
I've got to go back to sorting the lump and lose the dust.

Glad your OK!

SmokeyBear
01-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Yikes. Glad you weren't seriously hurt. What temp were you running?

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-01-2008, 03:48 PM
smells kinda like toast, eh? :biggrin:

i find the flashbacks happen when there's a lot of small lump pieces; when you are running at high temps, then close the dampers down and then open the dome.

Norcoredneck
01-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Todd,
Know your a good parent but just had a vision of your little helper checking on his favorite Q and getting blasted. Know little guy would not be there unattended but what a scary thought.

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Todd,
Know your a good parent but just had a vision of your little helper checking on his favorite Q and getting blasted. Know little guy would not be there unattended but what a scary thought.

that is exactly why no one touches my eggs! and if they do, they have more problems than a potential flashback.

i had a guy try to pickup the metal top, and cause it was hot, he kinda dropped it back on. not a good idea.

i had another guy reach to open the egg when it was coming up on 700 degrees and i had just come out the door with a tray of beef tenderloin... he was just trying to help, but i had to yell at him and explain what could happen.

Ron_L
01-01-2008, 04:13 PM
So far I haven't been bitten by Eggbert, but I'm sure that it will happen one day.

JohnMcD348
01-01-2008, 07:13 PM
My son is pretty careful when he;s outside and I'm cooking. He knows not to touch the cookers, he'll even wave his hand by them and ask if they're hot or not. He's 4 now, can't wait till he actually wants to start cooking. He loves to help but the attention span isn't there yet.

Mitch
01-01-2008, 07:41 PM
i had another guy reach to open the egg when it was coming up on 700 degrees and i had just come out the door with a tray of beef tenderloin... he was just trying to help

Just buy life insurance policies on your friends....and run that sucker to 1000* (just kidding).

Plowboy
01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
smells kinda like toast, eh? :biggrin:

i find the flashbacks happen when there's a lot of small lump pieces; when you are running at high temps, then close the dampers down and then open the dome.

The first thing I cooked with my BGE was ME! :eek:

I have a scar on my right knuckle where I touched my dad's red kettle grill when I was 2-3 years old. I can completely remember the moment to this day. Wondering if it was hot, I put my knuckle up to the grill. A few third degree burns later... I still have the scar. Branded by BBQ.

Growing up BBQ, my boys know to stay away. They both do a good job of either trying to sense if something is hot without touching or asking first.

Jorge
01-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I was sold when I saw, first hand, what they turned out for Ray at the Royal. There's not a lot of capacity, but I want one.

PS. that picture of Michael in the egg should be your Christmas card for next year!

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-01-2008, 08:14 PM
The first thing I cooked with my BGE was ME! :eek:

I have a scar on my right knuckle where I touched my dad's red kettle grill when I was 2-3 years old. I can completely remember the moment to this day. Wondering if it was hot, I put my knuckle up to the grill. A few third degree burns later... I still have the scar. Branded by BBQ.

Growing up BBQ, my boys know to stay away. They both do a good job of either trying to sense if something is hot without touching or asking first.

my new egg barney got me a little yesterday.

Plowboy
01-01-2008, 08:15 PM
I was sold when I saw, first hand, what they turned out for Ray at the Royal. There's not a lot of capacity, but I want one.

PS. that picture of Michael in the egg should be your Christmas card for next year!

I could do a whole calendar of my kids sitting in cookware. I have Michael sitting in a turkey fryer and in a 30" Oklahoma Joe. Here's Christian sitting in the 14" skillet I got for Christmas.

vr6Cop
01-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Mine has gotten me a few times, especially when doing pizzas and t-rexing. It got my pinky the other day accidentally.

My 2 year old knows not to touch hot things, especially the egg.

I wear an oven mitt sometimes when I open mine up, just in case. :wink:

jacob
01-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Good boys Todd, although in that last pick, Christian looks like he might be up to something. Very COOL.

smokinbadger
01-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I made pizzas in my newly acquired XL BGE yesterday, and was careful to avoid cooking myself, but somehow I did end up pretty badly cooking the felt gasket. I had the egg running at about 650F with the platesetter in place. Can somebody tell me how to avoid cooking these gaskets? I think a new one is going to set me back around $15.

Norcoredneck
01-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Just curious can the gasket go on the lid? In the pics I see it appears to be on base. Seems to me to be better protected if on lid?

JD McGee
01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
So I had heard all about "burping the Egg" all over the forums, YouTube videos, and documentation. Apparently, gases build up in the dome of the egg. If you open the lid all the way, the gases could flashback. So, you lift the lid a few inches (the burp) and then open completely. The burp allows the gasses to escape enough to hinder the flashback.

During the first cook today, I remembered the burp.... the first couple of times. Randy and I were cooking and talking away and I forgot to burp. Well, it belched! No visible flames, but you could hear the gases ignite. WHOOOM!!! The evidence was all over my hand... and the smell of burnt hair.

It was kinda cool, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

Whoa!...been there...done that! :lol: Glad to see that it's not a bad one! :-P

Plowboy
01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Just curious can the gasket go on the lid? In the pics I see it appears to be on base. Seems to me to be better protected if on lid?

The gasket is two pieces: base & lid.

swamprb
01-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I made pizzas in my newly acquired XL BGE yesterday, and was careful to avoid cooking myself, but somehow I did end up pretty badly cooking the felt gasket. I had the egg running at about 650F with the platesetter in place. Can somebody tell me how to avoid cooking these gaskets? I think a new one is going to set me back around $15.

I'd go with a Rutland stove gasket on the bottom only.

Plowboy
01-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Anyone have an extra gasket for my base? Just need one gasket, not the set. I'm embarrassed to say that I set my electric element down on it and burned a spot in it. Now it leaks. Was so pissed. Only cooked on it once for burgers and I burned the gasket by doing something stupid.

smokinbadger
01-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd go with a Rutland stove gasket on the bottom only.

Brian,

Can you give me a pointer to a source for this?

Thanks,

swamprb
01-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Brian,

Can you give me a pointer to a source for this?

Thanks,

Here you go! http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

My local Ace Hardware carries the Rutland blister pack and bulk gasket, and any reputable Stove shop should have it.

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Anyone have an extra gasket for my base? Just need one gasket, not the set. I'm embarrassed to say that I set my electric element down on it and burned a spot in it. Now it leaks. Was so pissed. Only cooked on it once for burgers and I burned the gasket by doing something stupid.

DO'OH!

you could just 'patch' the gasket in the two places it burnt instead of replacing the entire gasket. many people run without a gasket and as long as you can maintain low-n-slow temps (~230 grid temp), you should be good to go.