PDA

View Full Version : Back to basics session today

chad
12-29-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm doing three racks of babyback ribs for a party tonight.

Prepped the ribs with a little salt and some homemade rub (old KCBS recipe I had laying around).

Knocked the dirt off the WSM and fired it up via the "Minion" method - 8-10 pounds of Kingsford and started 15 briquettes in the chimney. Filled the Brinkmann water pan and got ready to load it up.

When temps got to 150 (right at noon) I put the ribs in using a rib rack. Soon the temp settled at 260 and that was fine with me. I went shopping for an hour, came home, and it was still at 260. I even went old-school on the thermometer using an analog "deep-fry" thermometer in one of the vent holes in the lid.

I'll foil them up in 30-45 minutes and let them finish up. I have not used the WSM in probably two years, but since I wasn't doing butts or brisket for the freezer I didn't want to feed logs to the Kingfisher this afternoon. :mrgreen:

Definately a low stress, back to basics, cook session.:-D

fnnm358
12-29-2007, 03:24 PM
sounds real good dont forget to supply some pics

nothing wrong with going back to the basics

Trout_man22
12-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Can't beat the WSM for most items.

Smokin Gator
12-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Glad to see you back cookin' on the WSM. How were the ribs?

chad
12-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Glad to see you back cookin' on the WSM. How were the ribs?

The ribs turned out fine. They were a bit overdone (i.e. "fall off the bone"), so when I sliced them I just removed the bones and put them in the serving dish "boneless".

The party was a pot-luck finger-food gathering. Lots of good dips and muchies. The ribs were gone in about 10 minutes!!:mrgreen:

I did save one rack for supper tomorrow night!:wink:

DaChief
12-30-2007, 10:51 AM
I do like that WSM for low maintenace cooking!