PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Rib Cutting Showoffs

ModelMaker
12-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Help!!
I am very satisfied with my rib cooking ability (thanks to y'all).
However I SUCK at cutting them up for a nice presentation for dinner.
What I was wondering if one of you video savy types with great rib cutting skills would like to do a demo. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here that would appreciate it!
Just next time you have some ribs ready have one of your buddys hold the camera while you chop, chop.
Thanks as always for sharing your expertise.
ModelMaker

Plowboy
12-29-2007, 11:56 AM
are you talking trimming during prep or cutting after cooked?

txschutte
12-29-2007, 11:57 AM
There is a great vid on youtube for cutting ribs to the STL cut. Try the search feature there or maybe a Brother will chime in with a link.

Jeremiah
12-29-2007, 11:58 AM
No demos right now, and I'm not the best rib cutter by any means, but what I've found to help greatly is:

1. Lay the rib "top-down", in other words membrane side up. Take a nice look at it, you'll see where the bones are running.

2. I'll then take the slap and stand it up on it's side, so the bones are kind of perpendicular to the cutting surface, with the membrane side facing me.

It's a lot easier to see where to slice now so that you'll have even amounts of meat on both sides.

Yakfishingfool
12-29-2007, 12:19 PM
I watched the demo on you tube a long time ago and it was very good. Look for the "knuckle at the end of the ribs, and follow it. Cut of the last 2-3 ribs and go. I take the skirt off first and then de-cartelidge the left overs and those are for the chef :)

ModelMaker
12-29-2007, 12:25 PM
are you talking trimming during prep or cutting after cooked?

No, I'm talkin cutting them up after they come off the cooker. I've tried laying them bone side down and cut from the top, and versa -visa.
I lift them up slightly and try to hit evenly between bones, just never get very good looking ribs. Being a judge I know it can be done.
Maybe I just need to cook ribs every weekend till I figure it out!!!!

I've seen and followed the various videos for trimming full spares into St. Louis. Once I see it a couple times I can usally reproduce it. That's why I thought if we could get a couple videos it would become clear to this befuddled old fart.
ModelMaker

ModelMaker
12-29-2007, 12:29 PM
No demos right now, and I'm not the best rib cutter by any means, but what I've found to help greatly is:

1. Lay the rib "top-down", in other words membrane side up. Take a nice look at it, you'll see where the bones are running.

2. I'll then take the slap and stand it up on it's side, so the bones are kind of perpendicular to the cutting surface, with the membrane side facing me.

It's a lot easier to see where to slice now so that you'll have even amounts of meat on both sides.

That approach made the most sense to me and the times I've tried that I get tears or shavings on the meat side. I've tried my Chef and my serrated knives and both didn't meet my expectations.
What type of knives does everbody use at comps?
ModelMaker

swamprb
12-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I've used my Granton edge sclicer, but the cleanest cuts I get are with my old Chicago Cutlery RB10S slicer wiped off each slice with a paper towel sprayed with Pam or vegetable oil. I saw a guy doing this at a comp and gave it a try.

Bbq Bubba
12-29-2007, 01:17 PM

I've used my Granton edge sclicer, but the cleanest cuts I get are with my old Chicago Cutlery RB10S slicer wiped off each slice with a paper towel sprayed with Pam or vegetable oil. I saw a guy doing this at a comp and gave it a try.

This is the same approach i use, it come's down to using a good knife and some practice.
Or you could go the commercial route and wack them babie's with a clever, it's all taste's the same in your belly!!:biggrin:

Professor Salt
12-29-2007, 02:26 PM
That approach made the most sense to me and the times I've tried that I get tears or shavings on the meat side. I've tried my Chef and my serrated knives and both didn't meet my expectations.
ModelMaker

If you're getting tears or shavings with a chef's knife, I'm guessing your knife can use a good sharpening. I use a generic, nothing special 10" German chef's knife (weighty, forged, stiff blade, very typical German style) But I am fanatical about keeping my blades sharp, and this makes all the difference.

Here's a photo of spares, cut Hollywood style, from an IBCA contest this fall (hence no garnish in the box). The meat was a touch overcooked and was on the soft side (intended goal for IBCA style judging). Because of its softness, I took care to use gentle, repeated slicing motions with the knife (rather than a downward chopping motion) to keep the meat from falling apart. A blunt force chop with a heavy bladed cleaver would've mashed the meat to smithereens.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2282/1914325444_867db21194.jpg?v=0

I look at this photo and notice the tell tale forensic markings of how the blade cut through the meat (meat fiber "tags" along the top edge, too many back and forth motions with the knife, etc). It's not my best work. But the point is that a sharp edge and some practice with the knife skills got me through this tricky cutting situation.

Jaberwabee
12-29-2007, 04:34 PM
I use a 10" Granton Slice and they look great. The only thing that happens with some is there is a middle rib that isn't symmetrical and wider at the cartilidge end. I think it just depends on the slabs.

Jeremiah
12-29-2007, 04:38 PM
ModelMaker

I would have to say that a possibility here is that the knife you are using is not sharp enough. An easy test is to hold a piece of paper in one hand and slice it with the knife in the other hand. The knife should easily cut through the paper without snagging or pulling.

You should use a honing steel prior to each time you use your knife to keep the blade aligned and be sure to get your knives sharpened whenever you start to feel they are loosing their edge.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-29-2007, 05:38 PM
I use a granton edge slicer as well, Santa brought me a whole collection including shears. the indents I think reduce drag.

StLouQue
12-29-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the need for sharpening. My chef's knife is overdue, and the results have not been pretty lately.

Divemaster
12-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the need for sharpening. My chef's knife is overdue, and the results have not been pretty lately.

I can usually tell when I slice a brisket if it needs to be sharpened... My guess is the same as above...

BTW, I like the oil/paper towel idea... That's going to be used this year!!!

JamesB
12-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Now I don't compete, but I do like to present a pretty plate at times... I cut the ribs pretty much like Jeremiah explained above... The best knife I've found for ribs is a cheapo $4.99 fish filet knife from either wallymart or Bass Pro... I don't remember where I got it, but it's sharp!

James.

Kevin
12-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Now I don't compete, but I do like to present a pretty plate at times... I cut the ribs pretty much like Jeremiah explained above... The best knife I've found for ribs is a cheapo $4.99 fish filet knife from either wallymart or Bass Pro... I don't remember where I got it, but it's sharp!

James.

Those cheap Rapala fillet knives are sharper than a mother in law's tongue. That's what I use for thin slicing sirloin for jerky.

Bigmista
12-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Professor Salt is our knife master. Whatever he says goes.

The Pickled Pig
12-29-2007, 08:23 PM
A fishing fillet knifes works well for ribs too.

Big Mike
12-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Those cheap Rapala fillet knives are sharper than a mother in law's tongue. That's what I use for thin slicing sirloin for jerky.

The Rapala filet knife is what I use for my ribs.

swamprb
12-29-2007, 10:08 PM
The Rapala filet knife is what I use for my ribs.

May have to dig it out of the tackle box! I have a video I got with my Smokette, from Hi-Mountain, the guy in the clip was a second generation butcher and emphasized a sharp and moist blade edge and did a lot of meat cutting demonstrations and would wipe the blade on the cuts of meat between slices.

MAsQue
12-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Recently, I switched from using a scalloped slicer to using a cimeter with a rocking motion while holding the ribs meat side down on a cutting board. I get a smoother look to the cut compared to what I was doing. I keep my knives as sharp as I can make them; 4:00 AM on turn-in day usually finds me using a three-way oil stone to sharpen them up.

Big Tom
12-30-2007, 05:07 AM
I like to use a very sharp, boning/filet knife to cut ribs into sections for a presentation.

I too will try the non-stick spray on the next batch I cut-up. Thanks!

Pig Headed
12-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the info, I have had problems with cutting ribs too.

ModelMaker
12-30-2007, 11:34 AM
My 2 good knives are German born Henkels. The 8" chef's blade is 1 1/2" tall, that may cause it's own problem. The other Henkel is a 10" serrated that tends to leave crumbs. I have a couple nice filet knives that really sharpen up well on the cermaic stick. Think I'll give them a shot next cook. Thanks for all the toughts.
Still would like to see a video.
ModelMaker

blues_n_cues
12-30-2007, 02:30 PM
i'll y get you a vid up since i'm doing ribs for new years. it's a lot like fish fileting-you have to "see" the(knuckle) bones in your mind's eye.if you have some pullback it easier. i place the tip of the knife between the rib bones,lay my palm across the spine and rock down placing my weight on that palm-the handle hand is just a guide. here's some pics.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w247/gypsyseagod/food%20pix/?start=40

Pig Headed
12-30-2007, 07:52 PM
OK, just got back from our favorite sushi restaurant. Got to talking with the propieter and I bought a sushi knife with a carbon steel blade that's sharpened on 1 side. Really sharp. She said to make sure it's cleaned and dried good after each use or it will discolor. It has an 8" blade.