PDA

View Full Version : meat grinder sausage stuffer

wlh3
12-27-2007, 01:11 PM
For home use, any body have or used this grinder/stuffer from Nothern tools? Pros/cons all comments welcome:mrgreen:
Thanks

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_36989_36989

WineMaster
12-27-2007, 01:19 PM
For Home Use, That Grinder will work just fine. I would recomend getting a Dedicated Stuffer though. When using the grinders as a stuffer, youcan get alot of air in your product.

Markbb
12-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I have a LM1 and used it this morning and made 12lbs of brawts and I agree with the sausage stuffer....thats my next item to buy...I'm alittle leery with the cast alumin. items in the grinder.

wlh3
12-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Grinders
I have a LM1 and used it this morning and made 12lbs of brawts and I agree with the sausage stuffer....thats my next item to buy...I'm alittle leery with the cast alumin. items in the grinder.

Ok I googled LM1 but got computor parts.:frown: What is a LM1?:icon_blush:

boatnut
12-27-2007, 06:31 PM
For home use, any body have or used this grinder/stuffer from Nothern tools? Pros/cons all comments welcome:mrgreen:
Thanks

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_36989 (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_36989_36989)
_36989 (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_36989_36989)

I had a similar grinder that i'd bought on ebay. it did fine for a year or so, but when i tried to press some rather stubborn meat thru it with the stomper, it like stripped a gear or something. I imagine the gears are plastic or something. that being said, it will probably work fine for grinding the occasional chuck roast or pork butt. I spent my cabela's points and went with their 1/2 hp industrial unit...that thing kicks butt!

we'll smoke u
12-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Like winemaster said I would get a dedicated stuffer. I bought the vertical stuffer from them and it works great you can stuff by your self if need be but it's always nice to have a second set of hands.

Bossmanbbq
12-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Try this:http://www.sausagemaker.com/

They have alot of stuff just for sausage making. I just got there book and DVD combo for Christmas. THey have alot of great stuff on there site. Hope this helps!

Markbb
12-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Grinders

Ok I googled LM1 but got computor parts.:frown: What is a LM1?:icon_blush:I know I shouldv'e edited but its the LEM-1 and all the parts are steel, you can buy at Bass Pro or on the net....sorry about that:oops:

BobBrisket
12-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Using the grinder to so the stuffing is a major pain and will take twice as long to complete. I'm in the market for a dedicated stuffer as well. I'm also looking at the LEM. When using the grinder as a stuffer you will develop air lock or suction with the feeder tube and stick and this makes for a real pain and hassle.

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Stay away from them horn stuffers...Talk about one aggravating piece of equipment (my experience anyway). I got a 5LB SS horn stuffer from Sausage Maker in the woods behind my house I wouldn't give to anyone I knew halfway decent.

I haven't tried the 5 LBr (vertical) from Northern Tool I got for Christmas, but I've only heard good things so far...

JamesB
12-29-2007, 01:00 AM
After hearing nothing but horror stories about trying to stuff with a grinder, I went ahead and bought the 5lb vertical stuffer from Northern Tool with my "Christmas Money" from the in-laws. So far I've been a one man operation... It has worked great so far!

My only complaint is that I wish they had had the 15lber on sale instead of the 5lb when I went to get it... I can see myself upgrading at a later date...

James.

thirdeye
12-29-2007, 10:40 AM
After hearing nothing but horror stories about trying to stuff with a grinder, I went ahead and bought the 5lb vertical stuffer from Northern Tool with my "Christmas Money" from the in-laws. So far I've been a one man operation... It has worked great so far!

My only complaint is that I wish they had had the 15lber on sale instead of the 5lb when I went to get it... I can see myself upgrading at a later date...

James.

The 5# ones are handy when making several different flavors of sausage the same day. On the other hand, it takes longer to reload the barrel than it does to stuff 5# of sausage.

chinesebob
01-05-2008, 11:23 AM
What about using the grinder and stuffer accessories for the kitchen aid?

Bossmanbbq
01-05-2008, 11:38 AM
What about using the grinder and stuffer accessories for the kitchen aid?

I was wondering the same thing, My wife already has the meat grinder and its only $18 for the sausage stuffer attachment. Might just bite the bullet and give it a try.

chinesebob
01-05-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22764

Just found this thread. I think it depends on the volume. We're looking at it for the sake of the food allergies. We have to avoid foods with milk, nut, shellfish by products in them and the foods that don't have these are loaded with about 3 different types of msg. So we can make our own safer, better, and cheaper, for the volume amounts.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy one anyways.

When we do catering if, we for some reason we have partial foods left over we don't serve I just keep vacuuming them and sticking them in the freezer, not to mention the hundreds of pounds of free venison that ends up in my freezers.

smokestack
01-05-2008, 01:20 PM
not to mention the hundreds of pounds of free venison that ends up in my freezers.

there you go- thats enough of a reason to get a stuffer-50/50 mix of venison and pork and you can make some killer sausages

Bossmanbbq
01-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Found this, looks great, might have to ask for forgivness later is what I'm thinking:-o

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat280028_TGP&id=0044811517628a&navCount=2&podId=0044811&parentId=cat280028&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=7IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat280028&hasJS=true

wlh3
01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Wow!! Thanks a lot bro's. It is just the wife and I. Now empty nesters:biggrin: Small batches of different kinds of sausage would be better for us.
The kitchen aid sounds like the way to go for our smaller amounts. Grind it, mix it and stuff it one machine.

CB thanks for the link to the other thread, it helped a lot.

Bossman thanks for the link to the sausage maker, it was full of info:icon_bigsmil

CritterCook
01-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Just bought one on ebay. A Sam Baer TS110. Haven't got it yet but I hope its durable. It has all metal gears. Pretty heavy duty.

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Wow!! Thanks a lot bro's. It is just the wife and I. Now empty nesters:biggrin: Small batches of different kinds of sausage would be better for us.
The kitchen aid sounds like the way to go for our smaller amounts. Grind it, mix it and stuff it one machine.

CB thanks for the link to the other thread, it helped a lot.

Bossman thanks for the link to the sausage maker, it was full of info:icon_bigsmil

If you're looking for a deal on the Mixer - Costco has the commercial 475W 5 quart mixer for 299.99. Going to get it today for our "Anniversary" present.....

JamesB
01-07-2008, 03:12 AM
If you're looking for a deal on the Mixer - Costco has the commercial 475W 5 quart mixer for 299.99. Going to get it today for our "Anniversary" present.....

Saw that one the past weekend... Looks like a great deal! We have a 10 year old 4 1/2 quart one that is still running strong!

James.

Pyle's BBQ
01-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Those of you looking for a sausage stuffer, check on e-bay. There are some good deals there. The old cast iron ones seem to be fairly reasonable.