PDA

View Full Version : cutlery?

SmokeyBear
12-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm looking to buy a few pieces of fairly nice cutlery. I want a nice chef's knife and maybe a boning or all-purpose knife as well. What are the good folks here using? Suggestions?

I know that Henckel and Wusthof are two of the big names, but they also have a big price. I read a few reviews of Forschner that seemed good.

Jack2u2
12-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Unless you'rre intent on spending big bucks, Chicago cutlery is a good all around home use knife. Mine hold a good edge, with ocassional ceramic steeling. Just avoid the dishwasher and they'll do you just fine. Now, if you're doing a lot of cutting, that might be a different story.

Kentuckiana Gib
12-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Pick up several brands if you can and see how it feels in your hands. You'll want a good feel in the grip and balance. Then buy.

cmcadams
12-25-2007, 07:56 PM
KG has the right idea.... Set a budget first, then go from there (and buy Shun :) )

FatDad
12-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Here are some pretty good knives.
...Budget yourself...
These are what Rachel Ray uses.
(also-The Ozitech sharpner is nice)

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/furi.htm?src=Google&cam=Furi&sub=Furi&kw=furi

bbqbull
12-25-2007, 08:24 PM
FatDad, thats where I buy my new knives also.

If you can go to a high end box store in a big fancy mall. They normally carry complete sets of high end knives on display. I go there and check out there wares, see how they feel in my hand.

Then not purchase there, come home and call the Cutlery Co. Much cheaper and great folks to deal with.

smokinbadger
12-25-2007, 08:42 PM
This week is the time to pick up the year end after xmas mismatched sets at Williams Sonoma and the department stores. I wouldn't pay their prices during the year, but I've picked up some really great deals (including on cutlery) during this week in previous years.

You can also get some pretty good deals on Chicago Cutlery stuff at outlet malls.

NotleyQue
12-25-2007, 08:48 PM
try Ebay as well. I picked up some high end knives for low end $$$$. be patient and you can get a good set of knives for less what you would pay for a cheep set of knives retail.

chinesebob
12-25-2007, 10:01 PM
We have two complete sets, one of henkel and one my grandfather passed down to me. I have no idea who makes them but they hold their edge as good as the henkels.

BTW - I use my cheap swiss army brand boning knife for nearly all my triming and general pre-smoked meat cutting. My slaughter house gives me one every year as a christmas gift and that's when I replace it. Henkel Santoku(bed bath beyond - pair for 49.00 with 20% off coupon) for carving brisket and fowl.

Azinine
12-26-2007, 12:23 AM
I just got an Anolon Santoku and I'm digging it the most. It looks and feels just like the Furi that FatDad suggested, but it's considerably cheaper. Depends on what you're using it for, I suppose. Me, I tend to take my show on the road a few times a year so I'm looking for an above average knife at a reasonable price.

If these are strictly for home use and you have the money, then buy Shun. They sure are pretty...

JamesB
12-26-2007, 05:03 AM
We have bot a set Henckel's and a st of Wusthof's for home use. The Henckelss were a wedding present almost 18 yrs ago. The Wustof's I got for a price I just couldn't pass up... Also have an assortment of Forschner's in the travel kit...

If your looking to get some on the cheap, I saw that Sam's had a 15 piece set of Wofgang Puck branded knives (made in China I'm sure) for $60.00. We gave my brother in law a set of these a few years ago and he still reports favorably on them.

Be sure what ever you do, you get a Santoku style knife! This has become my goto knife for 90% of my cutting and chopping chores in the kitchen...

James.

iowatriker
12-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Rada knifes are all my wife will purchase. My mother had a few rada knifes and I purchased a couple at a county fair. My wife loves them

michiana mark
12-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Forschner www.cutleryandmore.com (http://www.cutleryandmore.com)

Pyle's BBQ
12-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Add this to your place to check for prices.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/)

Also if you have a TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Tuesday Morning stores near you check them out. They have a limited stock of knives, but you may find what you are looking for at a greatly reduced price.

acorette
12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Ditto on the Tuesday Morning. I got most of my mobil knives there. They were marked 25% off thier already discount price, and while I was shopping the manager came over the loudspeaker and announced that everything that was on clearance was ANOTHER 50% off... I got some great knives for $12.50 each.

Mitch
12-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm a knife junkie. They are good brands. But the way to tell is to use them. The balance, heft and ease of manuevering is what makes a knife right for you. I like Messermeister.

jsimonson0
12-26-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm looking to buy a few pieces of fairly nice cutlery. I want a nice chef's knife and maybe a boning or all-purpose knife as well. What are the good folks here using? Suggestions?

I know that Henckel and Wusthof are two of the big names, but they also have a big price. I read a few reviews of Forschner that seemed good.

I use a 7" blade Santoku and it carves fantastic. Best $10 I ever spent, and it holds a nice edge. Between that, my Target cleaver, and my 5" Ikea chef's knife, I'm all set. Bed Bath and Beyond has a decent selection, as does Linen's n Things.

Jeremiah
12-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Forschner www.cutleryandmore.com (http://www.cutleryandmore.com)

Can't stress enough how good Forschner is for the price. Their knives continually wine the equipment tests on America's Test Kitchen. I own many of their knives and the only one I am not completely satisfied with is their cleaver. Nearly everything is else is absolutely perfect for what you're describing your need to be.

SmokeyBear
12-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I found a three knife Henckel Pro S set with honing steel at a pretty good price today. The store threw in one of the wooden knife blocks and told me that if I found a store coupon or got one in the mail to bring it in and they would give me back the appropriate amount.

The set includes an 8" chef's knife, a 6" "utility" knife, and a 4" paring knife.

The store was Bed, Bath, and Beyond of all places.

I also checked out some Wusthof and some Furi brand knives and saw some Shun brand. I liked the feel of the Wusthof slightly better than the Henckel, but I was able to get a better deal on the set by going with Henckel. The Furi brand knife felt really nice, but I just didn't want to by a Chinese made product if I could find something that I liked better.

I couldn't find any retailers that had Forschner in stock to try. I may order one online to have when I go take my show on the road.

sampson
12-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I agree with the guys that are saying to get a budget together first. If your like me that budget is usually tight. Chicago cutlery will do nicely for most folks if taken care of properly. Buy a good sharpener and steel. Some one mentioned the Analon Santuko, I've got one of those and use it about 75% of the time. I also picked up a couple of cheapo santukos at Sam's club for about $15. for a pair and believe it or not they're not bad. I sharpen them often and they won't last forever but so what, they were $15!!! Another place to check out is Ross discount stores, you never know what they will have. I picked up a $60 Calphalon chef's knife there for $13 and took it and a cheap cutting board to a Christmas party this year as a white elephant gift. Most popular thing getting passed around all night. Except for the 10 blues cd's I got...

The Pickled Pig
12-27-2007, 12:28 AM
I found a three knife Henckel Pro S set with honing steel at a pretty good price today. The store threw in one of the wooden knife blocks and told me that if I found a store coupon or got one in the mail to bring it in and they would give me back the appropriate amount.

The set includes an 8" chef's knife, a 6" "utility" knife, and a 4" paring knife.

The store was Bed, Bath, and Beyond of all places.

I also checked out some Wusthof and some Furi brand knives and saw some Shun brand. I liked the feel of the Wusthof slightly better than the Henckel, but I was able to get a better deal on the set by going with Henckel. The Furi brand knife felt really nice, but I just didn't want to by a Chinese made product if I could find something that I liked better.

I couldn't find any retailers that had Forschner in stock to try. I may order one online to have when I go take my show on the road.

Good choice. I cook a lot and use a complete set of Henckel Pro S and a 12" Forschener Kullenschliffe with a Granton edge (only because Henckel doesn't make a 12" slicer). They will last for several generations if properly cared for (never place in the dishwasher and have them sharpened semi-annually). I use my knives far more than I use my cookers so I consider them essential to good cooking and refuse to be overly budget conscious when it comes to cutlery. I figure since I already have thousands of dollars invested in BBQ, why not spend a few hundred dollars on essential tools.

As has been mentioned, you need to add the 7" Santuku as soon as possible. This is definitely my "go to" knife. I would also consider getting the 10" slicer for your briskets, the Henckel kitchen shears, and the Henckel peeler. I do not like the Henckel boning knives or the serrated bread slicer and would leave them off the wish list (I'll sell mine to you for cheap). Also, consider getting the Henckel knife roll so you can transport them conveniently.

SmokeInDaEye
12-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Just got a 12 inch Henkel chef's knife for christmas. Not sure what to do with a knife that large but it's the size that counts.

The Pickled Pig
12-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Just got a 12 inch Henkel chef's knife for christmas. Not sure what to do with a knife that large but it's the size that counts.

It that a Pro S model?

I recently got the 10" Chef's knife but will definitely add to the collection if I find a 12". I have no idea what you would use it on. Possibly take it with you on hikes through a dense jungle and use it like a machete? I usually use the 6" and resort to the 8" for big or dense items. I've yet to use the 10" but will still get a 12" if I can find it.

SmokeInDaEye
12-27-2007, 01:16 AM
It that a Pro S model?

I recently got the 10" Chef's knife but will definitely add to the collection if I find a 12". I have no idea what you would use it on. Possibly take it with you on hikes through a dense jungle and use it like a machete? I usually use the 6" and resort to the 8" for big or dense items. I've yet to use the 10" but will still get a 12" if I can find it.

It's the four star but I take what I get.:mrgreen: I actually like the feel of the molded handle, though, so it should be good.

Check out this 12" Pro S http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=51

Here's mine: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/204.jpg

The Pickled Pig
12-27-2007, 10:00 AM
It's the four star but I take what I get.:mrgreen: I actually like the feel of the molded handle, though, so it should be good.

Check out this 12" Pro S http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=51

Here's mine: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/204.jpg

Ordered and on the way. Thanks for letting me know about the 12" Chef's and providing the link. Now I just need to find a cut of meat large enough to justify it.:-D

Q_Egg
12-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Before you jump, take a serious look at the sharpening aspect of the decision. You could easily spend almost as much on quality sharpening stones, etc. as the cutlery. Soft steel dulls faster .. is generally easier to sharpen. Hard steel is the reverse. A good Chef's knife and a DMT sharpening stone will go a long way toward most needs. Treat yourself to a really nice blade! You will enjoy it every time you pick it up. Check out some of the Japanese Gyuto blades at .... japanesechefsknife.com. They are absolutely reliable, provide great service, and can answer your pre-sale questions. The site can be overwhelming until you narrow down your choices.
sharpeningsupplies.com is another superb resource .. toll free number .. generous help.

All the best!
Tom B

Dr_KY
12-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I picked up a nice boning knife from my butcher a few years ago he even sharpens it when it's time.

SmokeyBear
12-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Were are the Forschners made?

Dr_KY
12-27-2007, 12:47 PM
New York?

Countryhb
12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
New York?

New York City? Cookie, get the rope!

Jeremiah
12-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Were are the Forschners made?

Switzerland

sampson
12-27-2007, 03:32 PM
That japanese chef's knife site, holy crapoly... I didn't see anything I didn't love... Makes you want to just cut some stuff...

JohnMcD348
12-27-2007, 03:42 PM
We have two complete sets, one of henkel and one my grandfather passed down to me. I have no idea who makes them but they hold their edge as good as the henkels.

BTW - I use my cheap swiss army brand boning knife for nearly all my triming and general pre-smoked meat cutting. My slaughter house gives me one every year as a christmas gift and that's when I replace it. Henkel Santoku(bed bath beyond - pair for 49.00 with 20% off coupon) for carving brisket and fowl.

Please do tell how you were lucky enough to pass off the coupon to get your Henkels? I've tried a couple of times and claimed ignorance when they pointed out that the fine print on the bottom specifically lists Henkel and Wustof as not eligable for the discounts.

chinesebob
12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Well - They didn't look at the fine print. When it rejected, she just over rided the rejection and gave it to me. BB&B has never paid attention to that when I get them. Not sure if it's a store thing. It might have been the girl at the register or the distraction my son was making by pulling all of the items off the rack next to the register.

SmokeyBear
12-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I stopped by a cook's store in town today that I had somehow missed previously. I found it when searching for vendors of some of the brands of knives I was researching. Low and behold, they actually have the Forschners in stock. They said they were they had only recently become Forschner dealers and had decided to carry them after seeing all of the good reviews in the various industry magazines. I bought a 7" Santoku and a set of paring knives that they had on sale along with a few blade safes.

I should be covered as far as chef's knives go now although I do want something from Wusthof to satisfy the gear junky in me.

A good set of steak knives would be nice too.

JohnMcD348
12-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Well - They didn't look at the fine print. When it rejected, she just over rided the rejection and gave it to me. BB&B has never paid attention to that when I get them. Not sure if it's a store thing. It might have been the girl at the register or the distraction my son was making by pulling all of the items off the rack next to the register.

AH. I guess I need to teach my 4 year old a new trick:twisted:

whiskey
12-28-2007, 12:08 PM
I bought a 7" Santoku

Let me know how you like it after you use it a bit.

SmokeyBear
12-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Let me know how you like it after you use it a bit.

Will do.

SmokeyBear
12-28-2007, 10:39 PM
I used the Forschner Santoku tonight to chop up some taters for home fires, and I was very pleased with the performance of the knife.