PDA

View Full Version : Question for chargriller owners???

Ernie3
11-27-2007, 07:58 PM
I have been told that it is getting too cold now to smoke with my C.G.. I know that on warmer days over the winter it may not be a problem, but what temperature outside is too cold do you think? I know that wind too, especially a cold wind can be a problem. Is this an issue for alot of smokers(the cold not wind)... Or have I been misinformed? This is my first winter with it. Thanks.

wnkt
11-27-2007, 08:00 PM
You can try a welding blanket over the top to hold in a little heat.

Kevin
11-27-2007, 08:21 PM
I use my CG year round. Colder ambient temps do present a challenge, but not one that can not be overcome. Wind is the biggest problem to me. Block the wind, and be prepared to learn fire management. It is hard to keep temps up at sub zero ambient, but it can be done. Takes a lot of fuel.

backyardchef
11-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I used to smoke with her all through the winter with little trouble, as long as the wind was blocked and when it got really, really cold, I threw an old wool blanket over her. Like so...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/BackyardChef/DSC00780.jpg
The Next Morning before we got to smokin'
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/BackyardChef/DSC00790.jpg

ETA: I had firebricks in the firebox and lining the main chamber, which made a huge difference in temp fluctuations and how much was consumed once it was up to temp. When it was this cold, it took a bit more fuel to get her up to a solid temp....

michiana mark
11-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Yep keep it out of the wind and throw a blanket over it. I use mine all winter.

TexEx
11-28-2007, 06:27 AM
I soved the problem by moving to FL to avoid the cold temps! :-P

Today will be in the 80's.

Divemaster
11-28-2007, 08:27 AM
I've got an old Brinkman that holds the temps fine as long as I do the wool blanket thing... I usually quit smoking on the 31st of December :eek: and don't start up again until the 1st of January :mrgreen:... (Just long enough to get another beer and toss another fatty on)

Porky
11-28-2007, 08:53 AM
That's why I got my Backwoods Party, I never have to worry about the ambient temp.

Bbq Bubba
11-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Suck it up and fire up that pit!!:biggrin:

Divemaster
11-28-2007, 02:31 PM

Tell us how you really feel...:lol:

Don Marco
11-28-2007, 02:40 PM
You can add thermal mass to the char griller, just put some brickstones lined in foil into the firebox and cooking chamber.
Once they are hot they help to keep the heat up and even.

Wont help much for Wind or rain, but increases the cold weather performance
big time.

DM

Ernie3
11-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks Guys, I guess I'll have to round up some smokin' blankets.

Brian in So Cal
11-28-2007, 09:51 PM
I've got an old Brinkman that holds the temps fine as long as I do the wool blanket thing... I usually quit smoking on the 31st of December :eek: and don't start up again until the 1st of January :mrgreen:... (Just long enough to get another beer and toss another fatty on)

LOL:-D

michiana mark
11-29-2007, 09:04 AM

I knew there was something about you that I liked.

smoke-n-my-i's
11-30-2007, 04:06 PM
I soved the problem by moving to FL to avoid the cold temps! :-P

Today will be in the 80's.

That is why I left FL almost 20 yrs ago... always too hot. It was so hot, I didn't have to add any wood for the flavor. The black metal would solar cook it....... :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Anyway, back to the original question. Block the wind, get a couple of moving blankets, and add a little more wood..... have fun and enjoy the good eats.

Kevin
11-30-2007, 04:09 PM
You can add thermal mass to the char griller, just put some brickstones lined in foil into the firebox and cooking chamber.
Once they are hot they help to keep the heat up and even.

Wont help much for Wind or rain, but increases the cold weather performance
big time.

DM

The thermal mass of fire bricks helps stabilize temps immensely.

Ernie3
11-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Are firebricks something I can get at Home Depot or Lowes? Actually what I am asking are these special bricks or just regular ones wrapped in foil?

Kevin
11-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Are firebricks something I can get at Home Depot or Lowes? Actually what I am asking are these special bricks or just regular ones wrapped in foil?

They are special bricks made of material to withstand higher temps. You should be able to get them at Home Depot or Lowes. Look in the section where they have fireplaces and wood stoves.

Ernie3
11-30-2007, 06:16 PM
They are special bricks made of material to withstand higher temps. You should be able to get them at Home Depot or Lowes. Look in the section where they have fireplaces and wood stoves.

I am going to look for them next time I am there, which will be soon because I need to pick up some charcoal. Thanks