PDA

View Full Version : Drum Pron!!!

cardiac_cadet002
11-19-2007, 07:52 PM
here it is...only a week late. Its my new UDS on her maiden voyage!:eusa_clap

vr6Cop
11-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Nice drum there Cardiac. Makes me want to ride up 40 to Goreville.

Nice B-29 avatar. :cool:

cardiac_cadet002
11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
do you think the thermometer stuck down in one of the vents provides an accurate cooking temp or should I drill a hole at cooking grate level and run it horizontally with the grate? The probe is 8" I think...........

cardiac_cadet002
11-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Nice drum there Cardiac. Makes me want to ride up 40 to Goreville.

Nice B-29 avatar. :cool:

Yeah, its the land of Gore alright, even though he actually never grew up here, but thats ok, neither did I. I love the B-29s, my favorite aircraft of all the old props.

wlh3
11-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Nice looking drum cadiac. The more you use that smoker the more you will wonder why you didn't make one sooner. Gotta love the drum. Smoke on brother smoke on!:icon_bigsmil

deeque
11-19-2007, 08:31 PM
good looking UDS. good luck with it. foods lookin' good too.:-D:cool:

Napper
11-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Just your first of many drums!
You will not cook on it 5 times before you will want to make another one with "improvements"!

Drums forever!

AzQer
11-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Nice drum ya got there and the grub looks good to. How was it

cardiac_cadet002
11-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Just your first of many drums!
You will not cook on it 5 times before you will want to make another one with "improvements"!

Drums forever!

yeah, I'm done thinking of how I will build my next one, and its hard going down to my in-laws now. They have several of these barrels sitting around
:grin:. I feel like a kid with a new toy, heck, I guess I am!!!

cardiac_cadet002
11-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Nice drum ya got there and the grub looks good to. How was it

The turkey was great!!! I had some issues with the Boston butt, but I think I have those worked out now. There is a slight learning curve with the drums, but thats half the fun. I dumped 15lbs of charcoal in the basket and was surprised to see that after 9 hours, I hadnt even burned 1/2 of it. These drums ROCK!!!!:shock:

Smokin Gator
11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Your thermometer in the lid is probably 15-20 degrees lower than the grate. I mounted a Spicewine thermo just below my bottom grate and that has worked great for me. If nothing else try to use some type of thermometer to measure the grate temp so you can get an idea of how far off your lid thermometer is off. Check it early in the cook and a couple of hours in just to be sure they don't change.

do you think the thermometer stuck down in one of the vents provides an accurate cooking temp or should I drill a hole at cooking grate level and run it horizontally with the grate? The probe is 8" I think...........

que dude
11-19-2007, 10:23 PM
The only thing it's missing is a Stoker! It's the best piece of barbecue equipment I ever bought.

Meat Burner
11-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Your thermometer in the lid is probably 15-20 degrees lower than the grate. I mounted a Spicewine thermo just below my bottom grate and that has worked great for me. If nothing else try to use some type of thermometer to measure the grate temp so you can get an idea of how far off your lid thermometer is off. Check it early in the cook and a couple of hours in just to be sure they don't change.
Ditto!!!!!!!!!! Real important. If you have a stand alone grate temp gauge, that's a bonus. If not, stick a probe through a potato and check it laying on the grate. Grate temps are what you want to check, then you can be more comfortable with door temps. Good advise from the Gator. Let us know what you find.

cardiac_cadet002
11-20-2007, 12:28 PM
The only thing it's missing is a Stoker! It's the best piece of barbecue equipment I ever bought.

what's a stoker:?:

sksmoker
11-27-2007, 09:56 AM
A Stoker is a piece of equipment that has a small fan on it that is electrically controlled so you can set temps, runoffs, ect. Basically, it is fan that you set a temp on, and if the temp goes below that, the fan turns on, "stoking" the fire with air. A few people here have them, so I am sure they will chime in.

http://rocksbarbque.com/ is usually mentioned along with BBQ Guru.

vr6Cop
11-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, its the land of Gore alright, even though he actually never grew up here, but thats ok, neither did I. I love the B-29s, my favorite aircraft of all the old props.
I wasn't talking about Junior. :wink: My great-great aunt's childhood farm backed up to the Gore property up there, and that whole side of the family is buried up there between Carthage and Hartsville.

I can't comment on the stoker, but I've been more than pleased with my BBQ Guru (http://www.thebbqguru.com). :eusa_clap

cardiac_cadet002
11-27-2007, 08:18 PM
I wasn't talking about Junior. :wink: My great-great aunt's childhood farm backed up to the Gore property up there, and that whole side of the family is buried up there between Carthage and Hartsville.

I can't comment on the stoker, but I've been more than pleased with my BBQ Guru (http://www.thebbqguru.com). :eusa_clap

I just found out a couple of weeks ago that when my Grandparents first married back in the 20s, they were share croppers on the Gore farm, and that I have some distant relatives here. Its funny how life turns out.