PDA

View Full Version : Timing Butts and Ribs

itschris
11-16-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm gonna smoke 2 large butts this weekend for a get together but also need to make ribs. I won't all fit in my Cimarron. Starting the night before, I can yank the butts off around 10 the next morning, then put the ribs on. Since it's gonna take about 5-6 hours for the ribs, my question is what should I do with the butts?

I can't cooler them for the 6 hours. I think after about 4 maybe 5 tops... they start to get mushy. Should I cooler them for a couple of hours then just pull them apart and put the meat in a covered foil pan? Uncovered? Should I leave out or put in the fridge?

I actually want this effort to turn out. It seems that everytime I do a big Q, there's always something I should've done differently.

NCGrimbo
11-16-2007, 08:34 AM
You could delay the start time of the butts and then when the ribs go on, transfer the butts into a 225 or so oven to finish, then cooler them for a few hours. Once the butts hit around 150 or 160 internal, they will stop taking on more smoke flavor. (I think those temps are correct, but do a search on the forum for the several discussions we've had about this.)

KC_Bobby
11-16-2007, 08:47 AM
The option above will work fine, but I don't think they get that mushy coolering them for 6 hours. That is if they don't overcook themselves during the hold. And if they are a bit mushy/overcooked, sounds like you are going to pull them anyway so unless you are feeding to a bunch of Q experts - people may not even notice.

If you choose to cooler, I'd consider pulling them at about 8-10 degrees lower then you prefer your finished temp cook, double wrap in foil, wrap in blanket/towel and letting them continue to cook themselves in the cooler.

If you finish in the oven, they will still likely finish way before the ribs - but it does cut down the holding time.

Either way, just remember that the butts will continue to cook as they are held in a cooler, so take off a little early accordingly.

Papa Hogg
11-16-2007, 08:54 AM
You can cooler for 6 hours, just pull the butts at about 187* instead of 195*, wrap in plastic wrap then foil & cooler. They should not get mushy this way, and will still pull nicely. Good luck with the cook.

Smokin Gator
11-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Yep, I agree... I would just cooler them for the 6 hours. I would pull at about 190 though.

Divemaster
11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
You could delay the start time of the butts and then when the ribs go on, transfer the butts into a 225 or so oven to finish, then cooler them for a few hours. Once the butts hit around 150 or 160 internal, they will stop taking on more smoke flavor. (I think those temps are correct, but do a search on the forum for the several discussions we've had about this.)

I’ve had to do some large cooks (mostly briskets) and have found that it works well to pull, wrap, and put in the oven to finish…

I agree that you should take them out of the oven about 10 degrees early and let them finish off in the cooler though…

I think the actual temp that meat stops taking on smoke is 145* (based on what I’ve read in other threads).

itschris
11-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Pefect. Thanks for the advice my brothers. To wrap them, should I just use regular clear saran wrap, then a layer of foil? I didn't think plastic wrap would do well with the temps.

YankeeBBQ
11-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Or you could always cook the ribs a day ahead and cool them down, refrigerate them and heat them up on a grill applying some sauce to carmelize. That way there you can show off your butts on the smoker and wow the crowd when you pull them off and they're fall apart tender. You have lots of options.

Divemaster
11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Or you could always cook the ribs a day ahead and cool them down, refrigerate them and heat them up on a grill applying some sauce to carmelize. That way there you can show off your butts on the smoker and wow the crowd when you pull them off and they're fall apart tender. You have lots of options.

I like that idea!!!

itschris
11-16-2007, 09:39 AM
That's not a bad idea! I like a little crispiness and some little burnt bits of sauce. The only problem is I don't thinik I would put them away. I'd probably eat a slab and half as soon as they were done!

Papa Hogg
11-16-2007, 09:58 AM
You can actually wrap in plastic wrap & foil & put back in the smoker, I think the plastic is safe to use with temps up to 400*. I usually just wrap in plastic when I'm done cookin'

gpalasz
11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
What kind of Ribs you cookin? You can decrease the time of the ribs as well...maybe wrap them (if you do) for a little longer than usual, or bump the temp up a little. Either way...sounds like your covered

itschris
11-16-2007, 12:23 PM
After about 15 slabs of crappy ribs, I'm going to give it another go with a couple slabs from the butcher and a couple of the Hormel packs from Albertsons. I've come to learn that the SAM's in our area has pretty low quality ribs. After getting some advice from one of the brothers about meat quality, I started asking around and one of the local guys told me that he stopped buying bb's and spares from SAM's about 2-3 years ago because he suddenly couldn't make a good rack to save his life. He and the others I talked to seemed to have the same problem. Everything else I'm told is very good, the ribs are something to pass on at least in my neck of the woods.

So, to find out if this is all true, I'm gonna try my own test this weekend. I'll be smoking some bb's. I think I'm going to fire the butts up around midnight Sat, but I like the idea of q-ing the ribs Sat afternoon and just warming them up on the grill on Sunday to carmelize them a bit.

gpalasz
11-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Good luck w/ the ribs hope they turn out well. 4 hours should suffice on the BB's. I cooked Hormels before and they seem to be decent.