PDA

View Full Version : The Big Easy has arrived

Plowboy
11-15-2007, 03:13 PM
I was one of the lucky folks to get one of the new Big Easy's from Char Broil. Just arrived today and pulled it out of the box. Now, I've not used it yet or read the materials, which are sitting right here. The proof will be in the final product. We'll get a turkey ready to cook on Saturday.

Though I think this could be an easy and safe way to cook a turkey, there seems to be a bit of marketing hype here, too. I wouldn't call it a fryer. At first glance, it seems to be a gas oven. The heat source is a propane burner ring that wraps 360 degrees around the bottom of the unit. I'm not sure where the term "infrared" comes from. The turkey sits inside of an aluminum bucket, so to speak. The burner heats the bucket from the perimeter of the base. This is purely an indirect cooking method. The unit has an igniter on board as well as a thermostat of sorts.

The unit really has me curious. Will post results on Saturday.

gpalasz
11-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Interesting...please keep us posted. About what does that run$ if you dont mind me asking?

Plowboy
11-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I think about $130 at Lowe's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYm8XqEJUvc

A little more assembly is required than he implies. You have to assemble the control panel. Not bad. You also need to season the unit, which should take about 15 minutes.

PigBoy
11-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Guess I know what I'm getting for Christmas if it doesn't work!

Bigmista
11-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't call it a fryer. At first glance, it seems to be a gas oven. The heat source is a propane burner ring that wraps 360 degrees around the bottom of the unit. I'm not sure where the term "infrared" comes from. The turkey sits inside of an aluminum bucket, so to speak. The burner heats the bucket from the perimeter of the base. This is purely an indirect cooking method. The unit has an igniter on board as well as a thermostat of sorts.

You are correct sir!

fry 1 http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/premium.gif http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fbrowse%2 Ffry) (frī) Pronunciation Key (http://cache.lexico.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html)
v. fried (frīd), fry·ing, fries (frīz)

v. tr.

To cook over direct heat in hot oil or fat.

KC_Bobby
11-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Does Charbroil name all their gas cooking products Big Easy? They have a gas grill by the same name. As a marketer, seems a bit strang unless they would market as Another outdoor cooker from our Big Easy line of products - or something of the sorts.

Bbq Bubba
11-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Oiless obviously makes it NOT a fryer, but how the hell do they get "infrared" from a gas burner?:confused:
Definetly a little false advetising there!!

On edit: Does it have heat adj. Might make a great chili pot!!

Plowboy
11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Oiless obviously makes it NOT a fryer, but how the hell do they get "infrared" from a gas burner?:confused:
Definetly a little false advetising there!!

On edit: Does it have heat adj. Might make a great chili pot!!

The cylinder for the turkey has a hole in the bottom of it to let grease drain out.

swamprb
11-15-2007, 10:07 PM
I hope these don't take off, I will miss the "Turkey fryer mishaps" in the news every Holiday season!

chinesebob
11-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Q: how many ways do you need to cook meat?

A: As many as I can find.

Good luck with it this Saturday. Not into the frying but if that works it may be worth a look see.

Grumpy's Q
11-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Interested to see the results, good luck.

Divemaster
11-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Almost sounds more like a 'Roaster' than a 'Frier'....

Dale P
11-16-2007, 06:51 AM
It is a very interesting idea. I like toys so I have been thinking about getting one to play with. With the cost of peanut oil so high, I have started smoking more turkeys than I used to.
Neat idea. It looks like a deep fryer for dummies kinda thing.

Plowboy
11-17-2007, 09:25 AM
13 lb turkey is in the brine. Instructions suggest 10 minutes per lb. But they also suggest going to 180 degrees in the breast. Eight minutes seems like a better rule of thumb to get closer to 160. Frankly, once I'm above 150 in all parts of the bird, I'm happy.

I'm using one of my Cambros to brine the bird. Put it up on end so that the lid is on top. Placed the bird inside of two trash bags and added ice to the top. Looks like you can get 2-3 birds in there.

Brine Recipe
2 C Soy Sauce
2 C Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 C Worchestershire
2 C Brown Sugar
2 C Kosher Salt
2 Gal Water

Using hot water or boiling your brine will help dissolve the sugars. You wouldn't need to add all of the water right away. Just enough to get the sugar dissolved. Of course be sure to cool it down prior placing the bird in the solution.

breeze
11-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I really like this heating device. The infrared comes from heating the stainless insert, this is pretty much how outdoor tube heaters work like at Joe's Crab Shack.
Temps around center came close to 600 deg according to stoker log. Under grill temp was less than 115 deg but I still had metal pan under grill.

Used some hickory in it to cook burgers. A fish/burger basket fits it real well so there are many other things you can cook vertical. My smoker grill top fits it almost perfectly with temp hole open the basket handle goes right through. Warning on using wood...
My first fire was caused by too much wood in bottom, it had soaked up some oils/butter. This was a big fire but the smoker cover helped reduce it some. The butter set it off when I was about to place shrimp basket in grill.
I cooked a large chicken in it to see how it does with nothing done to it. Not too bad but the bird will burn in some places if you don't oil the bird up a bit.
Next bird will be brined. Thinking of smoking at low temps under 150 with cover on, olive oil it up then blast it on high. Maybe some bacon on a rack above the bird to keep her oiled up.
All and all this is a fine grill that cooks more than just big meat.

Plowboy
11-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I really like this heating device. The infrared comes from heating the stainless insert, this is pretty much how outdoor tube heaters work like at Joe's Crab Shack.
Temps around center came close to 600 deg according to stoker log. Under grill temp was less than 115 deg but I still had metal pan under grill.

Used some hickory in it to cook burgers. A fish/burger basket fits it real well so there are many other things you can cook vertical. My smoker grill top fits it almost perfectly with temp hole open the basket handle goes right through. Warning on using wood...
My first fire was caused by too much wood in bottom, it had soaked up some oils/butter. This was a big fire but the smoker cover helped reduce it some. The butter set it off when I was about to place shrimp basket in grill.
I cooked a large chicken in it to see how it does with nothing done to it. Not too bad but the bird will burn in some places if you don't oil the bird up a bit.
Next bird will be brined. Thinking of smoking at low temps under 150 with cover on, olive oil it up then blast it on high. Maybe some bacon on a rack above the bird to keep her oiled up.
All and all this is a fine grill that cooks more than just big meat.

So you put chucks or chips in the bottom of the cylinder and then put the basket on top of that? Interesting.

Plowboy
11-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Turkey Down!!!!

So far, I'm impressed. Seasoned everything, prepped the turkey, and dropped it in. Immediately, it started sizzling. Smells wonderful!! After 15 minutes, the skin was starting to caramelize. Going to check it after 75 minutes and see where its at.

There's a pic here of the burner without the cooking cylinder in place: Ring of Fire. The mesh lid does affect the crisping of the top of the bird. So far, this thing is living up to the self-hype.

jpw23
11-17-2007, 06:14 PM
That thing looks pretty cool!!!!:biggrin:

Plowboy
11-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Wow, this thing really works. Results were much like turkeys I've fried. Too much sugar in my rub and brine, so the skin got dark, but it was crispy just like a deep fried turkey. Its the real deal, people. I was skeptical.

13 lb turkey done in under 90 minutes.

BONUS: We got a quart of juice from the bird that we'll use for gravy tomorrow. Sunday dinner is set for tomorrow.

breeze
11-17-2007, 08:29 PM
So you put chucks or chips in the bottom of the cylinder and then put the basket on top of that? Interesting.
I am using chunks right next to lower side wall. The main basket sits in just fine with the wood where it is. The wood did not catch fire till after a few cooks and dripping real butter on it at over 600 deg. Flash fire but I was ready with co2 and a cover.
The cover I mention is one from an old elec. char broil smoker, thermo removed to allow basket handles to protrude when cooking fish / shrimp / burgers ... small stuff.
I hope to get temp low enough for some pre smoking for one of the turkeys and the other will be done as usual slow smoked, wife doesn't trust my experiments. :biggrin: This grill is a lot of fun!

Jaberwabee
11-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Off to Lowes I go.........

Plowboy
11-17-2007, 10:02 PM
One challenge is setting the cooking temperature. Or should I say determining the cooking temperature. The gas dial has On/Off. I turned it all the way on and then backed off as I saw it was cooking pretty hot/fast. About 3/4 open seemed about right.

smknwhlswife
11-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Ok Todd, you just cost me $130 bucks!!! I know Andy is going to go buy one after he reads this. Thanks! Thanks a lot!!!! :eek::wink:

Plowboy
11-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Ok Todd, you just cost me $130 bucks!!! I know Andy is going to go buy one after he reads this. Thanks! Thanks a lot!!!! :eek::wink:

Actually, we've already talked and he's going to borrow mine for Thanksgiving. You'll be taking it to Wisconsin with you. :wink:

smknwhlswife
11-17-2007, 10:28 PM
But he was all ready to go to Lowes today.....he was just waiting to hear how your cook went. I bet you he will buy one tomorrow. Just watch.

HoDeDo
11-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Actually, we've already talked and he's going to borrow mine for Thanksgiving. You'll be taking it to Wisconsin with you. :wink:

Good looking bird, but looks like it is similar to a fryer, in that you cannot put rub on the outside of the bird - gets burnt.

But he was all ready to go to Lowes today.....he was just waiting to hear how your cook went. I bet you he will buy one tomorrow. Just watch.

I'll take that bet, but I am putting $5 on Todd. Already bought too many toys this month between sparklie green metallic things for you, HD radio w/ bluetooth for the truck, and my Max Mileage module. If we like it, I've got a $10 "project starter" card for Lowe's we'll use to pick one up.

PigBoy
11-18-2007, 08:31 AM
I hate to ask this, but did my sister just pick her nose?:icon_blush:

we'll smoke u
11-18-2007, 08:42 AM

Randy I'm going to pretend you didn't just ask that.
But that was funny he he he.

Plowboy
11-18-2007, 09:28 AM

You can take the girl out of the Hinck's, but you can't take the Hinck out of the girl.

CajunSmoker
11-18-2007, 09:37 AM
You MOFO's sure are funny:lol::lol: Turkey toasters and nose pickin sisters all in one post:lol::lol::lol:

SmokeInDaEye
11-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Pretty impressive. Not sure it can replace the taste of turkey fried in peanut oil but a heck of a lot less messy.

SmokeyBear
11-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Sweet. I may have to give one of these a go, or at least talk a family member into doing so. :)

bmarley5780
11-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Heya guys-

OK- I am a big/huge fan of the peanut oil fry turkey. Of course, behind the smokin of one. But today I was in Lowes ..."just lookin aroud" and I saw this, and decided what the hell. right !?!

On the way home picked up a breast, put some rub under the skin, and a tad on top. While that was chillin in the frig put the assembled the Easy and got confortable with the thought of cooking this breast without oil or wood...

Turned out GOOD !!! To my surprise, it allllllmost tasted fried ALMOST.
still very tender
smell of the cook wasnt quite the peanut oil that I'm used to, but close
clean up..... THE BEST DAMN PART OF THIS UNIT
I layed off the sugar in the rub so the burnt skin wasent all that bad..some parts of the skin that came out quite nice.

Over all, I say that this is a good addition to your cookin staff :)

I will be using this on turkey day and will post pics of a cook then. Threw out the wraper before I read the weight on the breast, but the cook was 1hr 15min (no lid on).

spicewine
11-18-2007, 08:34 PM
You MOFO's sure are funny:lol::lol: Turkey toasters and nose pickin sisters all in one post:lol::lol::lol:

We have a College Quarterback who happens to be a conisuer of fine nasal scarfage!! 8-)

breeze
11-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Whole Catfish, blacken seasoning and lemon pepper. One piece of hickory, it gets red hot where burner first lights up. The basket had to be bent slightly but stands up straight.

KC_Bobby
11-19-2007, 01:26 PM
We have a College Quarterback who happens to be a conisuer of fine nasal scarfage!! 8-)

Didn't Mangino get caught doing the same a few years back on ABC?

Plowboy
11-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Didn't Mangino get caught doing the same a few years back on ABC?

Hijackers!!!

Whole Catfish, blacken seasoning and lemon pepper. One piece of hickory, it gets red hot where burner first lights up. The basket had to be bent slightly but stands up straight.

That's pretty cool. Cool idea.

Against The Grain
11-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Well after reading all of these post and on another forum I bought one.

The only one left in the store was the display, and didn't have a recipe book in it. So if anyone has info or recipes please share. I will give a report later.

DaChief
11-22-2007, 10:32 AM
OK..not convinced to give up my fryer yet......but keep them posts and pics coming!!! I am intrigued! Don't know what dat means but I did stay at a holiday inn last night :biggrin:

Markbb
11-22-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm really consisdering one..........no I'm gonna buy one thanks Todd:mrgreen:

Plowboy
11-22-2007, 01:25 PM
HoDeDo is using mine today at Kim's family in Wisconsin. Its so easy, even a caveman can do it. Not that Andy is a cave man.

Against The Grain
11-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Bought one last night, did a 12 pounder today. Worked great meat stayed very moist flavor was good. Only let down was the skin didn't get crisp like deep fried. Great cooker can't wait to do a roast or pork loin.

Plowboy
05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
My turkey fryer is for sale. $45 to the first local Brethren that wants it.

ThomEmery
11-10-2009, 08:00 AM
LOL the last post on this LOL

Desert Dweller
11-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Oh chit, now I guess I gotta figure a way to afford another type of cooker. I sure like the quick cook and little cleanup of this thing. All that oil was a pain...