PDA

View Full Version : need some drum advice...

HolySmoke
11-13-2007, 07:22 PM
My dad's friend was nice enough to drop off (2) 55 gal drums for me to use for a new farkinstein bbq. Not sure what was inside them as they are closed drums, so last night I cut one open to create the opening & checked the interior and it was clean. His buddy is on vacation & not sure when he'll be in contact again.

Anyway, the interior did'nt really smell like anything but cut metal & smoke so i rinsed it with the hose & then filled it with water & dishsoap with degreaser in it. Mattcom suggested that i sand blast the interior also to help with cleaning. The interior was a shinny silver steel with no type of coating.

Please some body give some input, should i forget & get more drums or keep moving ahead??

HolySmoke
11-13-2007, 07:23 PM
i shold also add i was planning on doing a bunch of burns in it before i get to far in construction...

smooookin
11-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I would bet that barrels had a liner in them. Do you know where your dad's friend works? Maybe that is where he came up with the barrels and would give you a hint as to what was in them.

Bigmista
11-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Just get a hearty fire going in there. Burn it out good. You will be fine.

Norcoredneck
11-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Got any cats you don't like? Sorry wont go there. I would check for any labels. Most people put a trade name or something to tell what was in there. Is it possible they are new? Our Hazmat area gets us new ones all the time. I believe federal rules state if there is anything put in something it has to be identified. I would do good burns, make it and if worried about it don't use it until the guy gets back. Then at least you have practice. The second UDS is always easier :biggrin:.

HolySmoke
11-13-2007, 07:34 PM
well actuall i do, he's in the private carting bussiness in NY and thats all i can say, but what kind of linner woul there be? like a plastic or rubber? I know they come coated if they are to have certian materials in them but it was clean. I will take pics & post them to help out.

C Rocke
11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Private carting - See Jimmy Hoffa. Those drums may have been "lined" allright...

swamprb
11-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Most of the drums I've seen are lined with an Epoxy like finish and others have a primer like paint in them. Just get a good fire going in them, if they are bare metal, I wouldn't worry about them.

Smokin J
11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Burn the hell out of that farker! It'll be fine. Maybe a coating of oven cleaner before each burn.

Did you finalize the design?

Norcoredneck
11-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Most of the drums I've seen are lined with an Epoxy like finish and others have a primer like paint in them. Just get a good fire going in them, if they are bare metal, I wouldn't worry about them.
Are you talking closed head drums? I have seen openhead ones coated but not closed head drums. Gonna go research....

Norcoredneck
11-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Noted some are plain steel, some with rust inhibitor coating and some with epoxy coating. Does this drum look like bare steel or does it have a bronze tint?

swamprb
11-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Are you talking closed head drums? I have seen openhead ones coated but not closed head drums. Gonna go research....

Noted some are plain steel, some with rust inhibitor coating and some with epoxy coating. Does this drum look like bare steel or does it have a bronze tint?

I've cut open some closed tops that contained Honey and Vegetable Oil that were Epoxy lined. Same with open tops. The ones that had rust inhibitor or primer on them contained lubricants, bearing grease gear oil etc. Have an unlined closed top that had parts cleaner in it, steam cleaned and ready to drill. I still have a connection with the guy that sold me the 38" drums, he imports Bee Pollen and Echinacea from Australia and resells to Naturopaths and Health Food stores/Certified Organic food grade $20 each.

HolySmoke
11-14-2007, 08:11 AM
$20 each?? I'll take (4)!!

The interiors are plain steel inside, no other sign of any type of coatings. I'll start the burns tonight & start to work on the other one then.

Thanks every one, wait till you see the beast i'm trying to create:biggrin::biggrin:

Bbq Bubba
11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
$20 each?? I'll take (4)!!

The interiors are plain steel inside, no other sign of any type of coatings. I'll start the burns tonight & start to work on the other one then.

Thanks every one, wait till you see the beast i'm trying to create:biggrin::biggrin:
Looking forward to it!! :mrgreen: