PDA

View Full Version : Primo vs Big Green Egg

matt
11-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Which one of these would you choose and why. I was reading some info and it talked like the primo was better. I dont know I have never used one of them ,but I was thinking of getting one just thought I would get your input.

TygerSmokes
11-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Matt,

Check out this link:

http://biggreenegghead.com/big-green-egg/other-ceramic-cookers

It provides pros and cons of both the BGE and other ceramic cookers.

I personally selected the BGE because of the top-notch customer service, array of accessories, and convenience (they are located right here in GA)

vr6Cop
11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Where were you reading the info from, Matt?

I bought my BGE because it was all that was available locally at the time, and I had read all the pro-egg stuff. I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world. All of these people selling theirs on Craigslist are strange IMHO.

However, I would have no problem owning a Primo instead of the egg if I had bought the Primo. They seem similar, and I like the different levels and adjustability of the Primo. I'm planning to get an adjustable rig setup for the egg for Christmas.

In years past, BGE was a major sponsor at The Jack, and supplied their lump to teams and their eggs to the international teams. This year, Primo was the ceramic sponsor and the only eggs I saw were with some of the teams like Dizzy Pig, etc.

I prefer the green of the BGE over the flat charcoal black of the Primo, but that is just me. Personally, I'd rather have a Big Blue Egg or a Big Red Egg. When I finally get around to refurbishing by old terra cotta kamado, it will be blue. But that's just my preference.

I know Eggheads unite and have Eggfests, etc. but I cannot speak to the other brands. Personally, I think it is all in the marketing, and either brand will get the job done to your satisfaction.

itschris
11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking about adding a BGE to the lanai. The reason I'm leaning towards the BGE vs others is that there is an entire secondary market of accessories, receipes, instruction, and community.

thirdeye
11-13-2007, 02:30 PM
I have two Eggs and really like them. The Primo oval(s) do have a lot of room and a firebox divider. Several of the long time Primo owners started with and still have an Egg or two, they are the first ones to point out that it's the features that need to be judged because the quality and service from both companies are very similar.....

Rockaway BeachBQ
11-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I own a Primo Oval and love it, however it is the second I ordered because the first one got wrecked by the shipper. Also the top and bottom and do not line up on center, another problem that probably occurred in shipping. I have tried to reseat the lid but it always slips back due to the memory of the bent bands. In order to fix it I would have to completely remove the bands bend the memory out of them and then reseat the lid, a task I may perform one day .

I bought the Primo Oval and all of the extras from Primo. Metal cradle, aluminum folding side tables, extension racks, drip rack and firebox divider. The only secondary product you need are fire bricks or a broken pizza stone(what I use). As for recipes, support, etcetera what works in one ceramic will work in any ceramic.

To my knowledge the Primo Oval has much more head room(taller lid) than the BGE. A huge plus for rib racks, beer can chix and using the extra rack with extra large cuts. I recommend you just go with the Oval package as I described or build it in to a table.

A final note, I bought my Oval from grillsdirect.com a few years ago. It was on sale with free shipping and I found a 10% off code, I paid about a Grand all together. It seems like the same package shipped would run almost $1500 now. They are a subsite of netshops.com and I would keep an eye for sales and discount codes.

matt
11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
http://www.hearthsidedistributors.com/Catalog/big-green-egg-smokers-and-grills check this out and tell me if these are agood deal.

Rockaway BeachBQ
11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't know the company, but the pricing seems to be around what I paid.

that's hot
11-13-2007, 08:49 PM
the big green egg is hot!!

M

vr6Cop
11-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Matt, if you wanted to take a road trip to Dalton, Georgia, Greendriver is closing out his inventory of Primos, so you could probably get a good deal. If I had the cash, I would make the 2.5 hr trip (for me) to take one off his hands.

Here is the link: http://daltongrillandsmoke.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=168

matt
11-14-2007, 09:01 AM
thats a good price on the xtra large oval . but it is like 9 or 10 hour drive for me.could'nt do it this weekend. to busy

1_T_Scot
11-10-2008, 09:29 PM
I know this is a year old thread. Just wondering about new opinions info etc...

Making out my Christmas list and don't know which one Egg or Primo.

biggs98
11-11-2008, 04:25 AM
Big green egg!!!!!!!

Chipper
11-11-2008, 07:32 AM
I have a Grill Dome and love it. I recommend you add them to the comparisons.

BBQ_MAFIA
11-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I only have my BGE for a short time but I love it for small cooks.
The temp control is outstanding.

Smokin Turkey
11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Why not start a business where you are a dealer of either or both and you offer customizations not found elsewhere? Sounds like the customizations are the only sticking point on the decision. Probably are more people out there wanting the same thing.

All you would need to do is re-glaze the things in whatever color and team up with a great custom metal shop to offer all kinds of unique accessories.

I know a guy with the metal shop... :mrgreen:

I want a cut if one of you takes that idea. LOL!

cheez59
11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
I looked at both grills and there is little difference in what they do. One has one or two more accessories than the other and vice versa. What sold me instantly was when I found out the the Primo was made in the USA and the egg is not. End of my shopping.
Made in USA means a LOT to me.

a55bag
08-30-2009, 01:56 AM
what do you guys think of the grill dome compared to the bge and the primo?

Navchop
12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Seeing that the Primo is the only ceramic smoker/grill made in the USA is a huge factor.

Gore
12-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Went with the Primo because that's what the boss wanted. She wanted a bread oven and the Primo had more head room for this and the shape was better.

chrisnjenn
12-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I have cooked extensively on both and I prefer the BGE overall.

Jus10
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I have cooked extensively on both and I prefer the BGE overall.

Why? What makes you prefer a round BGE over an Oval Primo? Not trying to rub you the wrong way, nor wanting to start a long debate about this, but just really interested on your reasoning. :thumb:

I chose the Primo Oval because you can cook direct and indirect at the same time by using the divider and that it is made in the USA, not Mexico. I went with Primo, despite my father having a BGE for 10 years...he bought a Primo XL less than a year after I bought mine, that might be a sign. :becky:

brother steve
12-08-2011, 04:32 PM
I went with the Primo lg oval because of its versatility, it does have more room, but the seller was MADE IN USA!!!:clap2:

pattyp
12-08-2011, 11:25 PM
I got a primo. Originally looked at a bge but the dealer here was rude. I am sure the bge is great, and will preform as well as the primo .

swamprb
12-08-2011, 11:35 PM
One is Black and the others are Green.

I have 2 Green ones, but if a Black one appeared on my deck, I wouldn't complain.