PDA

View Full Version : Using a Pig Roaster for all comp meats

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
11-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Has any one tried to use a pig roaster for all of the K.C.B.S catagories:idea:? It seems like they would cook for a long time and at a constant temp. Might not be able to use it for chicken, but what about pork,ribs, and brisket? I thought I saw someone doing that. Also if you have what mods did you come up with?
Thanks!!!
Sal

chuckswagonbbq
11-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Gnome,

I own a Meadow Creek CD-108. It is their pig roaster and chicken bbq unit on a trailer. Picture Below.

The pig roaster is 60" long by 30 inches wide (5 feet by 2 1/2 feet).

I have cooked brisket, butts and ribs on it, on a large scale. I did a street fair in NJ this past summer. Cooked 80 lbs of butts, 30 racks of ribs and 75 1/4 chicked things and legs. Not all at one mind you. Cooked butts over night, and cooked ribs and chicken in 2 to 3 stages over the course of the day.

While I have not cooked in a competition with it yet, I feel confident enough that it would do the job.

The only mod that I want to make right now is to build some charcoal boxes. Right now I lay the charcoal on the bottom of the pig roaster. After serveral hours, it becomes a chore to keep the temp in the pit up.:sad:

If you have any other question, please feel free to PM me.

CritterCook
11-13-2007, 03:47 PM
I brought my LaCajaChina pig roaster to Columbia this year. Not very good for comp because you don't actually smoke the meat, only roast it. Food turns out great but its not comp meat.

Sledneck
11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I brought my LaCajaChina pig roaster to Columbia this year. Not very good for comp because you don't actually smoke the meat, only roast it. Food turns out great but its not comp meat.
i have done pork butts in the lacjachina cuban style and they came out great

you can add smoke to the chinabox http://www.lacajachina.com/product_p/lcc-a200.htm

Tinybud
11-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I used my meadow creek cd-108 at dover, and loved it, we did 2 butts, 3 briskets, 3 racks spares, 3 racks babybacks, plus the chicken, just on the pig roaster part. We use the additional second tier rack which makes it nice. We loaded up the charcoal pan with about 50 pounds rancher, Lite it, got up to 230, and it never dropped below that for 15hrs, even when the storm hit, temps dropped alittle, and went back up,, even through the night we had to fit to get the temps down. But everything turned out great, finished the chicken on the bbq 42 which is on the back of the pig cooker... You'd do fine with a pig cooker I think.

The_Kapn
11-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Has any one tried to use a pig roaster for all of the K.C.B.S catagories:idea:? It seems like they would cook for a long time and at a constant temp. Might not be able to use it for chicken, but what about pork,ribs, and brisket? I thought I saw someone doing that. Also if you have what mods did you come up with?
Thanks!!!
Sal

What cooker or cooker type are you calling a "pig roaster"?
It would really help answer your question if we knew for sure :oops:

TIM

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
11-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Maybe like Meadow Creek..What cooker or cooker type are you calling a "pig roaster"?
It would really help answer your question if we knew for sure :oops:

TIM

smoke-n-my-i's
11-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Just have to remember that KCBS does not allow gas to cook with. Although you can preheat your unit, but it must be disconnected before the meat can go on.

Just Smokin' Around
11-18-2007, 08:09 PM
We have used what many term a hog cooker and it works well. If you're using a Meadow Creek, just spread wood throughout the coals and you shoudl get a nice smoke with it.