PDA

View Full Version : Show me the burnt ends procedure.

NCGrimbo
11-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I'll admit that I don't cook brisket often, and when I do, it's usually just the flat. This past weekend, I did cook an entire brisket even though I cut the flat from the point to speed up the cook time.

What I'd like to do next time is prepare some burnt ends, but I honestly don't know what and where and whens of preparing them. So, if anyone is making a brisket this weekend and can do a series of photos showing the various steps along with descriptions, I would be very happy.

Thanks,
NCGrimbo

Papa Hogg
11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
I leave my brisket whole & when the flat is done I remove the point & season the side that was attached to the flat. Put it back in the smoker, freshly seasoned side up & smoke another 2 - 4 hours depending on how burnt you like 'em. Then shred or chop add bbq sauce, put in smoke proof dish & you can put back in the smoker for another 30 minutes, or if don't want to wait it is ok to consume immediately.

RichardF
11-09-2007, 12:32 PM
It's a pretty simple process. I don't have pictures, but don't know if you really need them. Once the flat is done, seperate from the point. I sprinkle on some more rub and throw the point back in the smoker. Other cube the point, put in a pan and add sauce. I typically leave the point on for anywhere from 3 to 4- more hours, but specific timing doesn't seem to be overly important. When I'm ready to serve I take the point off the smoker, cube, sauce and serve.

thirdeye
11-09-2007, 02:10 PM
The procedure is pretty simple.

1. Put some burnt ends in front of me.
2. Stand back
3. Ask if I want seconds or some to go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/BDS/DSC02879a.jpg

cmcadams
11-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Thirdeye, don't you have this elsewhere to show? I have a bit on my site showing it.
http://buckymcoinkumsbbq.com/wordpress/2007/09/04/making-burnt-ends/

Bill-Chicago
11-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Gringo,

3I has posted his method here, but I can't find it.

But the step can also be found on his site.

Read THIS (http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/07/beef-burnt-ends.html), then get your arse back to this forum!!!

Bill-Chicago
11-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Well, now that I read Curts blog, now I want burnt ends on some of his Artisan breads.

Great Pictorials Curt and 3I

cmcadams
11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Bill, you're welcome over this way any time you want to come... as long as you bring your family along. :)

JamesTX
11-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Man that looks good. I've never heard of burnt points.

NCGrimbo
11-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Those links Curt and Bill gave are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys. Since I cubed my point from this weekend, I can probably cheat by adding some more sauce and spices to it and pop it back in the smoker or maybe even on the grill to make them official "burnt ends".

BBQchef33
11-09-2007, 07:28 PM
i cube up the point, and add more rub, then returen to the smoker in a pan with holes in the bottom to drain. About an hour or 2 in, as they begin to render down I toss em around in some sauce and carmalize a bit. I dont like them crunchy, but at the very end, i may roll them on a grill for a minute or 2.

JD McGee
11-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey NC...I'm not trying to hijack your thread...but I've got a burnt end question too. I separated the point from the flat (put it in the freezer) and just cooked the flat because it was to big for my BGE. My question is...do I thaw and cook the point as usual...190 deg internal temp, foil, wrap, and cooler? Or is there another method I'm not aware of?

Thanks NC..

kew_el_steve
11-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Curt,

Nice presentation on the web page.
My wife is from Xenia.

kickassbbq
11-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Burnt ends? They are nasty, greasy and a mess. I can only eat about 1 lb. of them.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!
https://secure.ramnetwork.com/kickassbbq/burnt_ends.htm

http://www.kickassbbq.com/burntends3.JPG

thunderbelly
11-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Damn they look good, I may have to go grab a brisket just to try them,

NCGrimbo
11-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey NC...I'm not trying to hijack your thread...but I've got a burnt end question too. I separated the point from the flat (put it in the freezer) and just cooked the flat because it was to big for my BGE. My question is...do I thaw and cook the point as usual...190 deg internal temp, foil, wrap, and cooler? Or is there another method I'm not aware of?

Thanks NC..

From what I've read, take it off at 190 or so, cube it and mix with spices and sauce, then pan it in the cooker for about 2 more hours and you should be golden.

Anyone that's done this want to chime in?

Bigmista
11-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Sounds good NC. That's the way I do it!

JD McGee
11-10-2007, 02:25 PM
From what I've read, take it off at 190 or so, cube it and mix with spices and sauce, then pan it in the cooker for about 2 more hours and you should be golden.

Anyone that's done this want to chime in?

Awesome...thanks NC! :-P

fil
11-10-2007, 08:45 PM
I made burnt ends for the first time about 6 months ago. Now thats all the wife and kids want. I take the slices to work and let my buds have at them.
I will never take any of the ends to work :rolleyes:.

fil

ultramag
11-11-2007, 04:21 AM
I'll admit that I don't cook brisket often, and when I do, it's usually just the flat. This past weekend, I did cook an entire brisket even though I cut the flat from the point to speed up the cook time.

What I'd like to do next time is prepare some burnt ends, but I honestly don't know what and where and whens of preparing them. So, if anyone is making a brisket this weekend and can do a series of photos showing the various steps along with descriptions, I would be very happy.

Thanks,
NCGrimbo

While not this weekend, I think this should be close to what you were looking for.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28574&highlight=burnt+ends

Cabntmkr1
11-11-2007, 10:04 AM
If you ever get to Kansas City, make your way to Arthur Bryant's and get some of their burnt ends.:wink:
Aside from that, I have made them at home and the family preferred them to the sliced brisket I made.
The other guys have given you the method, so I won't repeat it.
Good luck, and 'Q on!