PDA

View Full Version : Whoops!

AlabamaGrillBillies
11-01-2007, 10:37 AM
:icon_blush:
Well our first 'legal' (insured, health dept. checked, tax id'd, and all that jazz) cater job just skyrocketed.

Prices are down on butts so we figured we buy a case and sell what we could. No big pressure to sell on this one, the cook's main purpose was to get to better know our new to us pit.

We before we knew it we had 23 butts sold!:shock: We had to stop taking orders, turning people away. Never figured we'd have this kind of interest the first time out. We were surely blessed on this job fellas. This cook will allow us to pay our insurance premiums for 2008 upfront instead of month by month. Nice to have that monkey off our back.

We figure we can do 17-20 on the new cooker, cooking the rest on Jeff's (my partner) WSM and my small offset.

We called our local Sam's and found out that:
1. Prices are down to $1 per lb. and
2. Their cases are fresh, not frozen, this is a biggie as we won't have to worry about thawing in a short time like we thought.

The plan is to start early Sat morning preping with everything on the pit by 8am at the latest. We will be pulling and Vacuum Sealing the meat, Freezing and delievering on Monday.

Any tips on doing large cooks like this? To date the most we have cooked is ten butts, 6 on my small offset and 4 on his WSM. We are comfortable with cooking that number again on our smaller cookers, but the new larger offset is a new adventure all in its own.

Fuel for this cook will be a 50/50 mix of oak and hickory in the offsets and Kingsford in the WSM with some hickory chunks thrown in.

Arlin_MacRae
11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Wow, Matt, that's great! I can't help ya with huge cooks like that, but I know a couple who can. ;)

Arlin

Captain Caveman
11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
congrats on all the orders.

I don't know much about your pit, but mine is a whole other beast when fully loaded. I never have had major problems, but just make sure you leave extra time. Also doing that many butts, watch out for grease fires.

I am sure you will do just fine though.

AlabamaGrillBillies
11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the tip on grease fires, I'll be sure to tilt the trailer to get a positive drain away from the firebox and have an ext. on hand (no water).

AlabamaGrillBillies
11-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I figured on extra time as well. We are planning on using the Chris Lilly injection, in the past our butts have cooked faster with an injection.