PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Jack Daniels Invitational

Ulcer Acres
10-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Who all will be down at Lynchburg,TN this upcoming weekend. Ulcer Acres will be there for the third year in a row. If you are down there make sure and stop in and say hello. We will be back along the creek with the US and Ulcer Acres Flag flying along with the Flying Carp. Make sure and stop in.

GordonsBackyardBBQ
10-21-2007, 07:39 PM
We will be there-All are welcome to stop by. Just look for the Big Red Trailer flyin the Nevada State Flag...
Hope to meet as many as possible....

Scottie
10-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I'll be there. Probably drinking all of Ulcer Acres beverages.... ;-)

Rolling Smoke
10-22-2007, 04:57 AM
I didn't know we could do that Scottie. I'll be there for sure if that's the case.

YankeeBBQ
10-22-2007, 07:09 AM
I didn't know we could do that Scottie. I'll be there for sure if that's the case.

Can we put in requests ? See you all there !!

Go Sox !!!!!

Rolling Smoke
10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Can we put in requests ? See you all there !!

Go Sox !!!!!

I'm sure Randy & Marla would be glad to fill your requests. Just let 'em know.:lol:

CrimsonSmoke
10-23-2007, 09:39 PM
I am thinking about coming up. Any body use an extra pit bitch. I need to learn all I can. Let me know here or PM

lunchlady
10-24-2007, 12:04 AM
just finished packing everything. I can't sleep anyway. First time down for us.

we'll be the ones in Red Sox shirts with the funny accents.....oh wait, that may be a bunch of us.... lunchmeat has the 'long-hair' guys.

BAAAHHHHBEQUE!!!!

see you there!

Spydermike72
10-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Good Luck to all!! Have a great time as I know you all will!!

Ron_L
10-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Best of luck to all of you, but even better luck to the Illinois teams! :-D

Scottie, don't forget the "special toast" for me! :wink:

watg?
10-24-2007, 07:24 AM
good luck and safe travels to all

Roo-B-Q'N
10-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Good luck brothers and sisters!

T'sSmokinSomethin
10-24-2007, 08:08 AM
I'll be there in the Shade Tree area. Stop by if you in Lynchburg!

bbqbull
10-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Good Luck to all the Brethren Teams!

DawgPhan
10-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Good Luck to everyone and have a safe trip...

Mrs. Sawdust
10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Best of Luck to everyone!!!!!!!

backyardchef
10-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Good luck peoples!

Westexbbq
10-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Good luck to all and Happy Trails.

Solidkick
10-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I'll be there with you all in spirit!! Do the best you can, stay focused, and we'll see some Brethren names in the top 10. You can do it! You all are some of the best cooks from around the states!

Good luck everyone!

Rookie'48
10-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Ditto what Kick said. Go, Brethren, Go:biggrin::!:
Dave

vr6Cop
10-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, we need plenty of Brethren teams walking.

We'll be there Saturday morning as spectators. Just look for the ugly guy with the beautiful wife and the cutest little 2 year old on the planet. :biggrin:

Brandonnash
10-24-2007, 06:09 PM
I believe I'll be there also as a spectator. Went a couple years ago poking around and I'll be doing the same this year. I'll have to remember who all is going to try to put faces with the names I see on here. Good luck to all and save some leftovers for me if you can.

Rub
10-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Go gettem guys!!!
Good luck to all :eusa_clap

Yakfishingfool
10-24-2007, 08:11 PM
can anypne explain to me the drawing ot get into the jack? It's a lottery? What and how? Scott

Dale P
10-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Good luck guys and gals.

Q Haven
10-25-2007, 07:41 AM
can anypne explain to me the drawing ot get into the jack? It's a lottery? What and how? Scott

How to Qualify

How to qualify for the 19th Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue, October 26 – 27, Lynchburg, Tennessee

Criteria Effective May 1, 2007:

* To be a qualifying contest for The 19th Annual Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational Barbecue, the categories of pork, chicken, and beef brisket must be cooked.
* If a contest is the only contest in a state, it must have a minimum of 15 competing teams.
* First-year contests that have a “state championship” proclamation from the governor of the state in which the contest is held must have a minimum of 15 competing teams. After the first year, a contest will be considered an “established” contest.
* Established contests that have a “state championship” proclamation must have a minimum of 25 competing teams.
* Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.
* Any U.S.-based team winning a competition in another country will have its name placed in the draw in the chief cook’s home state.
* After a team has competed at The 19th Annual Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational Barbecue nine times, the tenth year they win a qualifying competition, they are invited without going through any draws.
* Any team that wins seven – we’re the Old No. 7 Brand, right! qualifying competitions within the current barbecue season (September 1 – August 31) will be invited without going through any draws.Also, if there are multiple championships in each state, the winners go into a draw for that state. Once all the states are picked, the rest of the teams go into a final wild card draw.

Yakfishingfool
10-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks Ted, how do they determine "the" state championship that is auto and the rest go into draw for that state. I assume two from each state go? thanks. Scott

Jorge
10-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks Ted, how do they determine "the" state championship that is auto and the rest go into draw for that state. I assume two from each state go? thanks. Scott

Unless I'm mistaken all qualifiers from a given state, whether they have a proclamation or not go into the draw. The proclamation simply allows a first year contest with at least 15 teams, or an established contest with at least 25 teams but fewer than 50 to be a qualifier.

Roo-B-Q'N
10-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Jorge it looks like you DO need the State Championship Proclimation AND 25 teams if you are established. If it is your first year you still need the proclimation, but only need 15 teams.

If a state only has one qualifier it also needs the 15.

If their are more than one qulaifying team from a state, they draw from all those that one in the state and then the remaining teams go into the larger "wild card" draw.

Exemptions and automatic invites are those that have won 7 qualifiers in a years time and those that have been invited to the Jack 9 consecutive years and win a qualifier for a tenth year. Don't know about previouse years winners.

Yakfishingfool
10-25-2007, 12:20 PM
OK, so one from new york is chosen form those available to represent the state, then the remaining are put into a draw pool. I wonder if there is a draw pool for each state or do all the second chancers go into one pool, thus say 10 could come from texas. Scott

Q Haven
10-25-2007, 12:33 PM
The formula is kind of complicated. Let's use NY this year as an example.

The qualifiers were Oinktoberfest, Lake Placid, New Paltz. Lunchmeat won Vermont, which is the only VT qualifier and is an automatic, so they were in the Jack and out of the NY draw. iQue won New Paltz, but were already an automatic because they won Lime Rock in CT, and the other CT qualifier was won by I Smell Smoke, who were automatically in the Jack from winning the Lowell or Maine, which were automatics too.

So, based on that, Purple Turtle was automatically in the Jack for winning Lake Placid.

Make sense? Haha...as you can see, it can get confusing....

Plowboy
10-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Jorge it looks like you DO need the State Championship Proclimation AND 25 teams if you are established. If it is your first year you still need the proclimation, but only need 15 teams.

If a state only has one qualifier it also needs the 15.

If their are more than one qulaifying team from a state, they draw from all those that one in the state and then the remaining teams go into the larger "wild card" draw.

Exemptions and automatic invites are those that have won 7 qualifiers in a years time and those that have been invited to the Jack 9 consecutive years and win a qualifier for a tenth year. Don't know about previouse years winners.

As well as the Royal Open winner, the Houston winner (can't remember the name of that contest), and the previous year's Jack winner. I think I got that all right.

Jorge
10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
As well as the Royal Open winner, the Houston winner (can't remember the name of that contest), and the previous year's Jack winner. I think I got that all right.

Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, or HLSR.

Plowboy
10-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, or HLSR.

Thanks. I recalled the Rodeo part.

Roo-B-Q'N
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
OK, so one from new york is chosen form those available to represent the state, then the remaining are put into a draw pool. I wonder if there is a draw pool for each state or do all the second chancers go into one pool, thus say 10 could come from texas. Scott

It sounds as though all the non winners from any State (except those that qualified in a one contest only State see the above post) go into the "wild Card" for a second chance. Sounds like only one wild card is drawn however. So you may get two chosen from one state . . . the actual state winner and the wild card. This is of course excluding the Huston Life Stock Show, the Royal, last years Jack winners ect.

Roo-B-Q'N
10-25-2007, 01:10 PM

Do both the Royal open and Invitational winner get an invite or just the Open?

goodsmokebbq
10-25-2007, 01:14 PM
best of luck everybody!!!

Greatgrills
10-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Do both the Royal open and Invitational winner get an invite or just the Open?

Just the Open

SmokeInDaEye
10-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Knock em dead everyone! Can't wait for results!

Q Haven
10-25-2007, 02:37 PM
It sounds as though all the non winners from any State (except those that qualified in a one contest only State see the above post) go into the "wild Card" for a second chance. Sounds like only one wild card is drawn however. So you may get two chosen from one state . . . the actual state winner and the wild card. This is of course excluding the Huston Life Stock Show, the Royal, last years Jack winners ect.

That's right. Once all the automatics are locked in and the states are drawn, everyone who did not make it goes into the hat for one final, single wild card drawing. Keep in mind that there are a lot of teams in that pile, as some states such as Missouri have more than 30 state championships.

Jaberwabee
10-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Just the Open
Am I the only the one, that found that funny?

Roo-B-Q'N
10-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Just the Open

Yes but i wasn't goingto openly laugh. I guess the Jack Invitational finds it wrong to invite the Royal Invitational winner.

Q Haven
10-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Any word on who won the Jack grilling event yesterday (and who was picked for it)?

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 09:11 AM

Ironic - yes
Funny - well, I chuckled

In honor of those at the Jack, I woke up at 5:00. But just moved from the couch to bed. American Eats, The History of BBQ just started on the History channel as I type this.

watg?
10-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I see Steve from ISS posted some new pictures from the Jack on his blog.

http://thebbqodyssey.blogspot.com/

If anyone wants to see...

The skys looked a little threatening.

Plowboy
10-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I see Steve from ISS posted some new pictures from the Jack on his blog.

http://thebbqodyssey.blogspot.com/

If anyone wants to see...

The skys looked a little threatening.

Interesting post on "glory holes". :eek:

Jeff_in_KC
10-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Interesting post on "glory holes". :eek:

:eek::eek::eek: WTFark?

It's too bad no one does live television for the Jack. That would be cool as chit! I'd be tuned in all day.

Hey Bubba and Jeff... you guys have plans for this particular weekend next year? :wink::lol:

michiana mark
10-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Good luck to all.

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Anyword out of Lynchburg?

Kevin
10-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Anyword out of Lynchburg?

Wondering myself.

Bentley
10-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Jack results,

4Q Grand Champion
Burnt by the Best Reserve

Ohh, sorry, just woke up! :icon_blush:

Ron_L
10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Jack results,

4Q Grand Champion
Burnt by the Best Reserve

Ohh, sorry, just woke up! :icon_blush:

If you're going to dream, why not dream big?

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Any word on who won the Jack grilling event yesterday (and who was picked for it)?

Winner - Best of British

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Chefs choice US

Third - guzzlin gourmet
Second - Late Night Whiskey Smokers
First - I Smell Smoke

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Dessert

10th - kings cooking
9th - smokin clones
8th - Quau
7th - Triggers
6th - Pellet envy
5th - Grub rustlers
4th - midnight smoker
3rd - carcass cookers
2nd - blazen bbq
1st - swine fellows

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks Dale! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Switzerland - sauce???

10 - cedar grilling
Smoking trigger
Capt grill
Parrothead smokers
I smell smoke
5th - purple turtle
4th - carcass cookers
3rd - lucky bbq
2nd - just smokin around
1st - switzerland

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Sauce

10 - cedar grilling
Smoking trigger
Capt grill
Parrothead smokers
I smell smoke
5th - purple turtle
4th - carcass cookers
3rd - lucky bbq
2nd - just smokin around
1st - switzerland

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks Dale! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LOL. Now thats funny! :-D

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 06:13 PM
It's just called using your resources right?

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Chicken

10 - grub rustlers
Heat is on
Blazen bbq
Late night whiskey smokers
Kings cooking
5th - bs pitmeister
4th - guzzlin gourmet
3rd - habitual smokers
2nd - 4 men and a pig
1st - moonswiners

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 06:21 PM
looks like moonswinners and 4 mens & a pigs day so far

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Ribs

5th - four men and a pig
4th - switzerland
3rd - smokin triggers
2nd - moonswiners
1st - carcass cookers

Plowboy
10-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Mark Greico is right in there, too from 4 Men and a Pig.

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 06:27 PM
With another 2nd in pork ... yeap

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Pork

Clones
Philly pig
Otis and the bird
Habitual smokers
Firehouse bbq
5th - smokin joes two
4th - smokin tailgaters
3rd - blazen bbq
2nd - four men and a pig
1st - the heat is on

Jeff_in_KC
10-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Uh Oh... it's Mark's to win if he doesn't tank brisket! Good going Grieco!

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Brisket

10th - midnight smoker
Lotta bull
Philly pig
Ella bbq
Holy cow cookers
5th - habitual smokers
4th - I smell smoke
3rd - firehouse bbq
2nd - munchin hogs
1st - moonswiners

Plowboy
10-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Way to go Yankee!!!

How close is this going to be?

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Uh Oh... it's Mark's to win if he doesn't tank brisket! Good going Grieco!

Not so fast now. It's a battle of points now with them both getting 3 high calls.

Jeff_in_KC
10-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Real close between Four Men, Moonswiners and possibly Habitual Smokers.

Plowboy
10-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Real close between Four Men, Moonswiners and possibly Habitual Smokers.

Blazin has two calls as well. (Guess what they use on their chicken. :wink:)

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Podge - two 1st's and a 2nd
Mark - two 2nd's and a 5th

So unless Podge bombed on pork ...:eek:

Jeff_in_KC
10-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Podge - two 1st's and a 2nd
Mark - two 2nd's and a 5th

So unless Podge bombed on pork ...:eek:

Probably gonna come down to who finished lower... Moonswiners in pork or Grieco in brisket.

Lakeside Smoker
10-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Barnhouse bbq
Smokin tailgaters
Late night whiskey smokers
I smell smoke
Dr porkenstein
Bob's O Que ??
Blazen bbq
3rd - four men and a pig
2nd - habitual smokers
And the winner is

GC - Moonswiners

Jeff_in_KC
10-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Ouch! Mark must not have done well in brisket. What a great last 45 minutes though!

KC_Bobby
10-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Great job to all of those who earned the chance to participate!

Where's the English team? I read somewhere where they were gonna win.

Man, someday ....

Jeff_in_KC
10-27-2007, 06:49 PM
They're headed back across the pond already with their tails between their legs and a sock shoved in their mouths.

vr6Cop
10-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Congrats to Purple Turtle on the sauce walk, and to the other Brethren teams.

It was chilly this morning, and my wife didn't pack jackets for her and the little one, so I didn't get to talk to all the Brethren teams I wanted to. I did say hi to Lunch Lady and the rest of the Lunch Meat crowd, but they were really busy. I saw Scottie from CSC, but they had just rushed a turn-in and he was talking to someone, so I didn't bother him.

Switzerland was handing out some strange rice dish, but I didn't get a chance to sample it. I did get to sample some pork & brisket from Stumps (Maple Hollow), and learned a lot more about Stumps cookers. I also saw a Christmas present from BBQ Guru - a new turbonator thingy for the egg (or other ceramic cookers). I bought some Willingham's rub that is a good all-around rub, and some sawdust looking stuff for smoking. It is papaya flavored and I tried it tonight, but I can't tell the difference. Maybe I didn't use enough. :roll:

I see why Ray wasn't there cooking with BGE this year - Primo was the order of the day, with a huge setup and they supplied the international teams with cookers, like BGE did in previous years. Primos are nice ceramics with versatile setups, but they could've at least brought a few other colors besides black. :icon_sleepy

I really wish we could've spent the entire day there, but the little man needed a nap by the time we left, and he fell asleep pretty fast in the car. When we were leaving, the line on the road coming down from the north was over a mile long, and people were walking faster than the cars and motorcycles were moving.

One of these days, God willing, I'll be cooking there. Rumor has it that they may change locations to a new, bigger park, and make two categories - invitational and open. :wink: I don't think the Hollow can handle that many people.

NotleyQue
10-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Congrats to Otis and the Bird for their top 10 in pork
very cool you guys. :cool:

Rub-A-Dub
10-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Gratz Otis and to all!!!!!

Q Haven
10-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Congrats to all Brethren who walked!

Pig Headed
10-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Congrats Brethren.

Sledneck
10-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Contest Results:
Grand Champion: Moonswiners
Reserve Champion: Habitual Smokers

Overall:
1.Moonswiners
2. Habitual Smokers
3. Four Men and a Pig
4. Blazen BBQ
5. Bob-O's Que
6. Doctor Porkenstein
7. I Smell Smoke!!!
8. Late Night Whiskey Smoke
9. Smokin' Tailgators
10. Firehouse BBQ

Chicken:
1. Moonswiners
2. Four Men and a Pig
3. Habitual Smokers
4. Guzzlin Gormets
5. B S Pitmeisters
6. King's Cooking
7. Late Night Whiskey Smoke
8. Blazen BBQ
9. The Heat is On
10. Grub Rustlers

Ribs:
1. Carcass Cookers
2. Moonswiners
3. Smokin' Triggers
4. World BBQ Team Switzerland
5. Four Men and a Pig
6. Smokers Wild
7. Smoky Mountain Smokers
8. Porkrastinators
9. Jack's Old South
10. Habitual Smokers

Pork:
1. The Heat is On
2. Four Men and a Pig
3. Blazen BBQ
4. Smokin' Tailgators
5. Smok'n Joes Too
6. Firehouse BBQ
7. Habitual Smokers
8. Otis and The Bird
9. Philly Pigs BBQ
10. Smokin Clones BBQ

Brisket:
1. Moonswiners
2. Munchin Hog's @ the Hilton
3. Firehouse BBQ
4. I Smell Smoke!!!
5. Habitual Smokers
6. Holy Cow Cookers
7. Ella's Barbecue
8. Philly Pigs BBQ
9. Lotta Bull BBQ
10. Midnite Smoker

Chef's Choice
1. I Smell Smoke
2. Late Night Whiskey Smokers
3. Captain Grill & The Queen
4. Guzzlin Gormets
5. IQUE
6. QN4U
7. Home on the Range BBQ
8. Salzburger Barbecue Bull
9. Parrothead Smokers
10. Best of British

Sauce
1. World BBQ Team Switzerland
2. Just Smokin' Around
3. Lucky Barbecue
4. Carcass Cookers
5. The Purple Turtle Catering
6. I Smell Smoke!!!
7. Parrothead Smokers
8. Captain Grill & the Queen
9. Smokin' Triggers
10. Team Cedar Grilling

Dessert
1. Swine Fellows
2. Blazen BBQ
3. Carcass Cookers
4. Midnite Smoker
5. Grub Rustlers
6. Pellet Envy
7. Smokin' Triggers
8. QUAU
9. Smokin Clones BBQ
10. King's Cooking

SmokeInDaEye
10-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Great work Steve, Nancy, Chris, et al. Looks like quite an experience down there. Someday...

CTSmokehouse
10-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Sauce

10 - cedar grilling
Smoking trigger
Capt grill
Parrothead smokers
I smell smoke
5th - purple turtle
4th - carcass cookers
3rd - lucky bbq
2nd - just smokin around
1st - switzerland

Hurray Purple Turtles!!!!

Way to go Nancee, Greg and Joe!!

Way to go Brethren!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Bigmista
10-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Way to go Jaybird! You and Monica did a great job!

Otis and the Bird - 8th in Pork!

Sledneck
10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
I had moonswiners at 50-1

Rub
10-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Way to go to all who were invited, and especially to those who were called!!