PDA

View Full Version : 22 Inch WSM...

JD McGee
10-17-2007, 09:22 PM
:confused::confused::confused:...I'm hearing rumors that Weber is coming out with a 22 inch version of the WSM. Anyone else hear this?

JD

thirdeye
10-17-2007, 10:15 PM
:confused::confused::confused:...I'm hearing rumors that Weber is coming out with a 22 inch version of the WSM. Anyone else hear this?

JD

I've heard the same thing. I'm guessing it will be a very popular cooker. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Misc/wsmsmile8gm.gif

Sledneck
10-17-2007, 10:22 PM
i think it is just a rumor

motley que
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
ive got one. i call it UDS

Brauma
10-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Im pretty sure that I read it somewhere official but darned if I can find it now.

Nitrofly
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Somebody was talking to the Weber
guys this year in Memphis they said
the 22" WSM was coming.. I can't
wait... Just think four turkeys at once.
mmmmm

Cliff H.
10-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I posted this very secret info on another forum.

I was standing in line with three of the sales reps to get some Q at MIM.

I spoke up and asked what's deal ?

They told me that a 22" model is in the works. I am not holding my breath and that is why I built a uds.

They seemed sincere and I promised that I wouldn't tell anyone.

Then I came straight home and posted it on the forum.:shock:

Azinine
10-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Seems like there wouldn't be much involved as far as R&D goes... Just make it bigger. Hopefully it hits the market soon!

yelonutz
10-17-2007, 11:17 PM
I was talkin to Elvis at the Chico Dairy Queen and he told me. It don't get any better than that.

ThomEmery
10-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Was it Fat Elvis or Skinny Elvis

Bill-Chicago
10-18-2007, 09:13 AM
I heard that the 22 was pulled from production after a bloody battle in the engineering department over the fact that the water pan was a POS and people would need to use a third party '67 baby chit green Dodge Dart oil pan from Pep Boys as their water pan, thereby igniting the water pan/oil pan wars.

swamprb
10-18-2007, 09:24 AM
If there were to be a 22.5" WSM the water pan would be moot, I have reliable information the "pizza stone-lava rock" dry pan system will be used. Fat Elvis was consulted on various "dry balls heat sinks" but Weber-Stephens R&D in their infinite wisdom steamrolled the ideas.

backyardchef
10-18-2007, 09:38 AM
I hope the new WSM comes with the Fat Elvis Cameltoe mod. What else really matters?

Sledneck
10-18-2007, 09:40 AM
dont fix whats not broke

Bill-Chicago
10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Why would the water pan be moot?

Just wondering

timzcardz
10-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Rumors, sales reps, etc., all make for intersting discussion, but what do they mean?

I just emailed Weber asking them about this. I'll let you know what they have to say.

Cliff H.
10-18-2007, 10:26 AM
I am really considering tryng to install a water pan in my new to me, never before used uds. I just love doing mods.:wink:

RichardF
10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
I heard that the 22 was pulled from production after a bloody battle in the engineering department over the fact that the water pan was a POS and people would need to use a third party '67 baby chit green Dodge Dart oil pan from Pep Boys as their water pan, thereby igniting the water pan/oil pan wars.

I figured with this mod you might also have the never ending dry sump/wet sump argument

SmokeInDaEye
10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Somebody was talking to the Weber
guys this year in Memphis they said
the 22" WSM was coming.. I can't
wait... Just think four turkeys at once.
mmmmm

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27378

bigabyte
10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on one. I hope this is coming out. I'm trying so hard to not get my hopes up.

By the way, this moot pan thing...where do I get some moot and how much do I put in the pan:confused::confused::confused:

JD McGee
10-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Was it Fat Elvis or Skinny Elvis

That's just SICK...:eek:

JD McGee
10-18-2007, 11:37 AM
If there were to be a 22.5" WSM the water pan would be moot, I have reliable information the "pizza stone-lava rock" dry pan system will be used. Fat Elvis was consulted on various "dry balls heat sinks" but Weber-Stephens R&D in their infinite wisdom steamrolled the ideas.

Too hard to control temps...the flower pot mod is much more stable:twisted::twisted::twisted:

timzcardz
10-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Well I got a response from Weber:

Hello Tim,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a Weber charcoal grill.

Unfortunately we don't have information regarding a larger Smokey Mountain grill
you may want to try back beginning of next year and some information may be
available.

The bold emphasis is mine.

Now I wonder why they would suggest trying back in the beginning of the year?

Hmmmm?

bigabyte
10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
So they are basically saying they have no comment until next year. Sounds good to me. Time to start socking money away.

Don Marco
10-19-2007, 08:42 AM
I cant tell about Weber, but i know for sure that Probbq ist gonna be on the market with a ~20" Version of their Frontier next spring.

www.probbq.co.uk.

Since Webers prices are two to three times as high in Europe compared to the US, im most likely gonna go for the Pro-Q Version.

DM

Jeremiah
10-19-2007, 08:56 AM
This is totally awesome..

Concerns:

1. First version of the model - not as refined as current WSM which has had plenty of time to have the kinks worked out. Of course many of these principles will carry over but there will be new caveats created by the inherit design change.

2. Water pan - I currently use the Brinkman water pan as the Weber stock pan does not have sufficient capacity for a single fill on long cooks. I hope this is something they take into consideration, or at least there's another water pan on the market that will fit.

3. What do I do with my current WSMs? =D I would hate to see them go, and it would be a large $$ loss, but if I get a couple of the new 22" I can't see myself firing up the 18's that often. Isn't this a terrible problem?

Sledneck
10-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Im staying loyal to my 18's

RichardF
10-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Im staying loyal to my 18's
I think Sled's saying that size doesn't matter, but what you do with it.

timzcardz
10-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I think Sled's saying that size doesn't matter, but what you do with it.

You're probably right . . . why risk ruining 13th place chicken!

Harbormaster
10-19-2007, 11:12 AM
"not as refined as current WSM which has had plenty of time to have the kinks worked out."
I have the oldest known WSM in the world and one from 2004. There have been no major design changes from it to the current WSM. Only changes have been: Change from steel to aluminum legs, change from steel to aluminum door, change from 1 set of holes in charcoal ring to two, and change from wooden handle to synthetic.

"What do I do with my current WSMs?"
Why, you sell them to me, silly!!

lwest99
10-19-2007, 11:39 AM
I also emailed Weber. Here is the response:

I checked into it, and at least for the moment I didn't find any
information with regards of a 22 1/2" Smokey Mountain Cooker planned for the
near future.

Hopefully next year there will be more information.

Jeremiah
10-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I have the oldest known WSM in the world and one from 2004. There have been no major design changes from it to the current WSM. Only changes have been: Change from steel to aluminum legs, change from steel to aluminum door, change from 1 set of holes in charcoal ring to two, and change from wooden handle to synthetic.

I guess that scratches one concern off the list.