PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Spicewine

Keller Steeler
10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I was recently made aware of this forum, but I see a lot of familiar faces. Looks like a great forum.

Anyway, I just ordered a large Spicewine last week, my Stumps is going to stay put in the backyard, while the Spicewine is going to travel to contests. I see that there are a ton of Spicewine owners on the Brethren - makes me feel good about my choice, I ordered it without seeing any posts on here. I am having an extra rack and handle put on. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Greendriver
10-16-2007, 08:19 PM
No suggestions but would like to hear about the decision on the role of spicewine at contest / stumps backyard?

Keller Steeler
10-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Greendriver - I love my Stumps and wouldn't think of getting rid of it. I have the GF223 and am very pleased about everything but the capacity - it gets weighted down at contest for me (I know plenty of people use the GF222cm at contests, but I want more room). I know the new Elite series has more capacity, but the Spicewine is going to give me more.

Plus, I have heard good things about Jay and the smokers, I talked with him and decided to give him my business - can't wait to see the product in person.

Brauma
10-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Congrats on the new Spice. And welcome.

thillin
10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Congrats! And welcome fellow Keller-ite. Who gave you the heads up on the site? Tony?

Ty

Munkee's Pit
10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Man, I wish my name was on the back of the door at Jay's shop. You won't be dissapointed.

Norcoredneck
10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Congrats on the order. Now the hard part.....Waiting.

BBQ_MAFIA
10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Congrats on the Spicewine your going to love it.

I have a Large and think it's great.

KC_Bobby
10-16-2007, 10:14 PM
How big of a Spicewine did you order that it's going to be that much larger than a 223?

Sawdustguy
10-16-2007, 10:48 PM
I was recently made aware of this forum, but I see a lot of familiar faces. Looks like a great forum.

Anyway, I just ordered a large Spicewine last week, my Stumps is going to stay put in the backyard, while the Spicewine is going to travel to contests. I see that there are a ton of Spicewine owners on the Brethren - makes me feel good about my choice, I ordered it without seeing any posts on here. I am having an extra rack and handle put on. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Have the Guru pipe installed.

MilitantSquatter
10-17-2007, 04:57 AM
congrats....

I'd like to weld two support holes toward the top of the firebox door to all for adding a small removeable metal lip/capony that would prevent the juices from dripping on the firebox/thermometer (and in my case Guru). It could then act as a shelfto rest a metal or aluminum pan when taking meats off.

Right row, I rest the pan on the top part of the firebox when opening the top door to catch drippings from the racks, especially when saucing.

Keller Steeler
10-17-2007, 06:26 AM
Congrats! And welcome fellow Keller-ite. Who gave you the heads up on the site? Tony?

Ty

It was indeed Tony. Do you compete at all?

Keller Steeler
10-17-2007, 06:34 AM
How big of a Spicewine did you order that it's going to be that much larger than a 223?

My GF223 has 5 racks that are 20 X20 - I usually have a drip pan on the bottom rack so that gives me 4 racks of 20x20 for a total of 1600 square inches. The large Spicewine will have 4 racks of 34 X 25 for a total of 3400 square inches, which will give me more than double the capacity.

MrSmoker
10-17-2007, 06:44 AM
I had a sheet pan that was the same size as the grates on the Med. SW and if i wasn't using the bottom rack i would slide in there to catch the drippings or sauce. If i ever order another one i would have Jay weld a piece of angle iron 3/4" below each shelf track so you could slide a tray in to catch the drippings. I hate making a mess on fire box door and thermometer.

Just thinking more about this,why not raise the track for the bottom shelf enough to slide a sheet pan in while you loading,unloading or saucing.

thillin
10-17-2007, 07:29 AM
It was indeed Tony. Do you compete at all?

Not yet. This was to be my first season, but I ended up with a herniated disk in my lower back and am just now getting mobile again.

Ty

Mo-Dave
10-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Thanks in advance.

Color man, what color is it going to be? Thats the most important decision you will ever make.

Keller Steeler
10-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Color man, what color is it going to be? Thats the most important decision you will ever make.

Haven't decided yet, but it has to have some steeler black and gold.

Dustaway
10-18-2007, 06:44 AM
unless you plan on doing catering jobs I would go with two mediums, the large is one heck of a big unit for just doing comps with plus with the mediums your options are unlimited such as woods,temps etc.

that is the only thing I would do different, right now I'm in the process of changing mine from cooking on the beaver tail to having it mounted on a custom trailer.

Congratulations you will enjoy the spicewine plus heads will turn:-D and some will turn :mad:

Keller Steeler
10-18-2007, 07:22 AM
unless you plan on doing catering jobs I would go with two mediums, the large is one heck of a big unit for just doing comps with plus with the mediums your options are unlimited such as woods,temps etc.

that is the only thing I would do different, right now I'm in the process of changing mine from cooking on the beaver tail to having it mounted on a custom trailer.

Congratulations you will enjoy the spicewine plus heads will turn:-D and some will turn :mad:

Thanks Dustaway - I bought a trailer 6 months ago that I am going to have the spiecewine mounted.

ThomEmery
10-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Welcome and congrats

frognot
10-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Congrats on getting a Spicewine and welcome to this site!

bbqbull
10-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Welcome and congrats on the Spice machine.

I looked at Jeff in KC"s rig last fall. Very well built machine IMHO.

ZBQ
10-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Congrats and welcome to the Spicewine family!:-D