PDA

View Full Version : Free hardwood

DDT
10-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I found a good place to get hardwood for free, chech with your high school if they have a wood shop ask the teacher for the scrapts:-D

leanza
10-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Good idea! I 'll go dumpster diving.

Brian in So Cal
10-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Always wondered if you could use scrap like that. I do a lot of oak floors and steps. Can I use the oak? It is raw.

big brother smoke
10-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Always wondered if you could use scrap like that. I do a lot of oak floors and steps. Can I use the oak? It is raw.

You can use it, if you know it is raw. Not as good as unprocessed oak. I like using it in the fire place, nice and dry!

jacob
10-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Although raw most have been treated with a chemical. To make it hold color longer etc. You just have to be careful.

Brian in So Cal
10-13-2007, 09:00 PM
You can use it, if you know it is raw. Not as good as unprocessed oak. I like using it in the fire place, nice and dry!

Although raw most have been treated with a chemical. To make it hold color longer etc. You just have to be careful.

Thanks guys. I think I will stick to using it for the fireplace.

txschutte
10-13-2007, 11:55 PM
What Jacob says is the absolute truth, using construction/building/furniture lumber is never a good idea to smoke with.

FatBoyz
10-14-2007, 09:04 AM
another great place to get hard wood is if you see someone clearing for say a new house go up and ack if thay would put aside some wood for you in say 6 to 8 foot lingths we do it for people all the time and it does not bother us to do it you will need to show them wat tree you want the wood from alot of the time we dont know what we are cutting we are just cutting it a 12 pack helps to

DDT
10-14-2007, 12:03 PM
on fathers day my daughter went to a BBQ store and bought a box of alder for me when I opened it it was a box of milled wood. so I would think that unfinshed milled wood should be ok sents you get it from BBQ stores for smoking.

smoke-n-my-i's
10-14-2007, 02:28 PM
They are trimming around power lines here... I am stocked up.... you can get all they leave, just about.

They will chip the the smaller limbs, but leave the larger stuff cut up into manageable sizes.

If it is on private property, always ask first. Most all of the time, it is, help yourself.

I have oak, hickory, maple.... there is always some other stuff, but if I am not sure what it is, I leave it.

Bill

Jorge
10-14-2007, 03:31 PM
You Texans that like mesquite need to stay in touch. I'll have a couple of acres of wood to give away in a couple of years.

Puppyboy
10-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Check with your city burn pile. That's my favorite shopping ground.

Pyle's BBQ
10-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Also see if there is a small local saw mill in your area. They have cut offs that they cannot sell. See if you can work out a trade.

nthole
10-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Another great source is local orchards. Call them and ask them if they trim or push out any trees seasonally. They usually do it in a few weeks.

I contact a large orchard in our area and have gotten a truck full of apple wood every year for free. He just pushes it into piles to burn. Lets me hit the pile with no problems as long as I don't touch any living trees and cleanup after myself.

leanza
10-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I got a buch of orange tree wood from an orchard. What fragrance.

Puppyboy
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
I got a buch of orange tree wood from an orchard. What fragrance.
How do you like that orange?