PDA

View Full Version : Pork Butt Chili

Meat Burner
10-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Brethren...what's you thoughts?????
Making about 5 Gals. chili for a work function and want to use mostly pork butt smoked to about 180 degrees. My chili works the flavors with about 3 hours cook time. Thought about smoking the butts with only mustard slather....lots of other spices goes into this chili for flavor. What do you think? Thanks for the advise...it's always great!!!:mrgreen:

QansasjayhawQ
10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
I found that when I add smoked meats to a dish, you're right on track . . . the spices and flavors added to the dish more than make up for any lack in the meat. The best flavors the smoked meats bring are the meat and the smoke.

Just last week I had some GREAT chili with some smoked beef of some kind from a brewery in Topeka, The Blind Tiger (http://www.blindtiger.com). It was incredibly delicious with smoked meat.

Rookie'48
10-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Meat-
I'm thinking more along the lines of inject with mild % JD to AJ and a very light rub to give it more flavor but not much bark. Or you can add your favorite rub to the chili while cooking.
Dave

Meat Burner
10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Wanted to be carfull with the rub as it is different spices than chili. Like the idea of maybe some infecting. Like Quansas idea of keeping just the simple smoke flavor and Rookies idea of injecting a little. Thinking smoked too much with chili is really a balancing act for the general public...simply not sure what to do. My company really really likes what I've cooked before.. just don't want to overdo the smoke for chili but do want to have that flavor as a change from normal chili. Appreciate any thoughts!

FatBoyz
10-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I dont know if this will help but I posted my chilli on my web site I have won about 7 peoples choise if you want to use it let me know i will give you the names of all spices i use

Meat Burner
10-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I dont know if this will help but I posted my chilli on my web site I have won about 7 peoples choise if you want to use it let me know i will give you the names of all spices i use

Would appreciate the web site sink. Always looking for recipes. I am reluctant to post the recipe I use because it is from about 5 years ago from the internet and I don't know the author. I have changed it some but , don't want to do something wrong here and post someone else's recipe.

Anyway, would appreciate you input. Thanks.

FatBoyz
10-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Would appreciate the web site sink. Always looking for recipes. I am reluctant to post the recipe I use because it is from about 5 years ago from the internet and I don't know the author. I have changed it some but , don't want to do something wrong here and post someone else's recipe.

Anyway, would appreciate you input. Thanks.
www.fatboyzbbq.net (http://www.fatboyzbbq.net) sorry forgot to do that

bbqbull
10-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Chili was made at last years Fall Bash at Parrotheads. A lot of chusks roast was smoked, chopped and added to the mix.
Awesome chili. I believe it was Poohbahs recipe, but dont quote me.

Brian in So Cal
10-12-2007, 10:24 PM

Okay, I am ready for the spices. Need to make a huge pot for tailgate party next weekend.

Thanks,
Brian

Meat Burner
10-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Another thought, pork butt or brisket for chili? Thoughts?:?:

bbqbull
10-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Brisket chili is awesome, never tried pork chili.

Go to the top of the page, check out recipes, there are some for chili as well.

Meat Burner
10-13-2007, 12:18 AM
With respect to a disabled firefighter from the north of our great country, thanks for the advise. You all should know about great chili since it is in season 11 months of the year in that climate. LOL

bbqbull
10-13-2007, 12:32 AM
With respect to a disabled firefighter from the north of our great country, thanks for the advise. You all should know about great chili since it is in season 11 months of the year in that climate. LOL:eek::eek::eek::icon_shy:icon_shy

Ya just gotta make your chili with love! Thats how I do it, and flat promise ya brisket chili rocks regardles of whether ya add beans or not.

Yes im a high planted yank..... northern border kinda guy. Yes, chili is a huge staple here.

Firehouse chili is awesome, and now I make it here at home for us, or whether it be for fish camp or deer camp.

Cool thing is I never make it the same way twice, but seems to get great reviews.

Good luck on your chili, and dont forget to post the results.

Going to my room now.

swamprb
10-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Try a Chili Verde type using tomatillos for the base.
thirdeye features one on his link:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html

FatBoyz
10-13-2007, 08:15 AM
I am very sorry the recipe on my web site is not the winning one my partner put the wrong one on here is the real on again i anm so sorry

111 oz buches mild chilli beans
16oz buches hot chilli beans
108 oz petete tomatos
2 bottles Mccormicks mexican chilli powder
1/2 cup chilli powder
1 onion diced
3 big ass tablespoons of prepaired horesy sause
1 brisket pulled
1 beef tenderloin about 3 to 5 lbs cubed
a pinch of chipoltla be carful you can over do it

now you have to cook this for about 2 to 3 hours simmering
you want the tomatos to become gravy like
if you dont want to use the tenderloin you can put in 3lbs ground beef
but do yourself a favor make it with the loin 1 time you will love it
now i always put beer in this it is up to youif you want to. i do it so i can drink as i cook and my wife does not get mad. about half a bottle makes it in.
You have to stir this alot now if you like crunchy onions put them in late if you like soft get them in early I hope you enjoy this

nthole
10-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Never done pork butt. But all I will make anymore is brisket chili. You cannot beat it. Then after the chili is made I pop it in a pan and back on the smoker for another hour, delic.

vr6Cop
10-13-2007, 08:48 AM
I use pork butt (or ground pork) in Thirdeye's chili verde recipe (the link is above). People that I give it to rave about it. :biggrin: I know I've said it a bajillion times, but Thanks for the recipe Thirdeye (and his wife). :cool:

The only time I've heard of pork in chili is green chili. Brisket or chuckies in red chili.