PDA

View Full Version : Kingsford VS Rancher

Brian in So Cal
10-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Man, I learned something this past Saturday. I always use Kingsford in my WSM. I decided to try the Rancher. Totally have to rethink the vent settings. Once it got up to temp I had to almost shut down all three vents to keep temp. About 10 percent open each.

I had to keep monitoring it. Needless to say I will stick with the Kingsford for my WSM. Much easier to control temp. Probably because I am used to it. But once I get temp i can go for 8-10 hours with out adjustment.

Of course it took me about 4 times to get it right. practice makes perfect I guess.

Anybody else run across this situation?

Will keep the rancher for my horizontal and grilling.

beerguy
10-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Just the opposite. Once I get locked on with Rancher about 230*, I set all 3 bottom vents at 25% and set the top one almost all the way open and drink beer till the butts hit 198* about 7-8 hrs later. Sand in the water pan, occasional piece of cherry or hickory in the coals for sweet blue and im set on go. Good chit, and 2.99 a bag gets me 3 burns per 2 bags. Thats my story and Im stickin to it.

Brian in So Cal
10-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Just the opposite. Once I get locked on with Rancher about 230*, I set all 3 bottom vents at 25% and set the top one almost all the way open and drink beer till the butts hit 198* about 7-8 hrs later. Sand in the water pan, occasional piece of cherry or hickory in the coals for sweet blue and im set on go. Good chit, and 2.99 a bag gets me 3 burns per 2 bags. Thats my story and Im stickin to it.

Dude, how much do your butts weigh? I have never been able to get one up to 198 in 7-8 hours.
I must be doing something wrong.:-D

I will have to experiment with the Rancher. I also was trying to keep temp at 200 for the buckboard bacon. Maybe that is why.

Tinybud
10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
I personnelly don't like the smell of kingsford when it is burning, the rancher gives ya the similar smell of lump, but the longer burn time of a briquette. I just got off the phone with a home depot 3hrs away, and got 92 bags.. I'll take it any day over kingsford.. but that's just my 2cents.

Brian in So Cal
10-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I have about 400# of rancher and use it a lot in my horizontal. I know what you mean about the smell of Kingsford. Sometimes I would open the lid on my WSM and it would almost take my breath away.

I am convinced I need to practice the WSM on Rancher. What about the Kingsford? I guess I can use it to burn my weeds.:-D

I also wish that I could locate some more rancher. 4 Home Depots around me and none have any left.

Brauma
10-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Dude, how much do your butts weigh?

Not Woodpile. I must resist.

JD McGee
10-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Ditto to what beerguy said less the sand in the water pan...I use the flower pot mod now. :-P

JD

Brian in So Cal
10-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Ditto to what beerguy said less the sand in the water pan...I use the flower pot mod now. :-P

JD

Gotta know what he flower pot mod is?

JD McGee
10-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Gotta know what he flower pot mod is?

I use the bottom of a flower pot set in my water pan as a heat sink for my WSM
http://picasaweb.google.com/johnrhana/FlowerPotMod

JD

ryanositis
10-10-2007, 11:01 PM
I liked the Rancher. I mean, I don't hate the Kingsford, but the Rancher charcoal was good stuff. Clean burn, smaller amount of ash.

Norcoredneck
10-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Just plain don't like the smell of Kingsford. Have to believe some of that is transferred to the meat.

Single Fin Smoker
10-11-2007, 03:47 AM
I only use Kingsford. Love the stuff. Everyone I cook for seems to stuff themselves.

Never had the chance to use Rancher.

Jeremiah
10-11-2007, 08:38 AM
I picked up a bunch of Rancher @ 2.99 couple months back, didn't have much trouble making the adjustment (started out using Kingsford, but most recently used WG lump). Give it another shot, you'll get the hang of it.

Harbormaster
10-11-2007, 10:57 AM
I personnelly don't like the smell of kingsford when it is burning.

Just plain don't like the smell of Kingsford. Have to believe some of that is transferred to the meat.
Ditto you two fellas.
I love love love the Rancher in my WSM. Great aroma, burns long, ash production comparable to lump.
I did cut my teeth on the WSM using lump, so maybe that made the transition to Rancher easier.
Hasn't been a bag of K at my house in well over 10 years.
Oh, and I have a half ton of Rancher in storage.

swamprb
10-11-2007, 11:11 AM
I hope to use a few bags of Rancher this weekend at a charity Rib cookoff, I'll be using the WSM's, the sooner I get rid of it the better! And I heard Safeway was supplying the briqs for the cooks!!
Hope it's not Matchlight!

HB-BBQ
10-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Never had the chance to use Rancher. If you want to try some stop by and I'll give you a bag, I still have about ten or so left. I dont mind the rancher but I still get the swirling ash. It happens in both my BWS and the horizontal. I'll go back to K when the rancher is gone. I may even try the Sams Choice large briquettes for kicks.

BTW our local HB Walmart has Royal Oak lump in stock for 5.29/10lb. I just picked up some last night to try this weekend.

RichardF
10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
If i'm cooking butt's or brisket in my bandera at 225* Rancher is fine, but for chicken and/or ribs which I like to do at 275* I cannot get the temp up and use Kingsford.

tommykendall
10-11-2007, 11:23 AM
I had similar experiences as Brian with rancher on my WSM. I think it was just a re-learning experience. Rancher I think burns hotter given the same airflow so I back down the vents sooner and tighter than when using kingsford. I do like the smell of the rancher (man that came out gay), but I think kingsford burns longer with less ash.

Tinybud
10-11-2007, 11:26 AM
I haven't had any problem with the ash from rancher, in my meadow creek pig roaster, I put 40lbs in the charcoal pan, and I can keep 250 for 12+ hrs. while cooking a load of butts or whole hog, and haven't seen any ash coming up on my bbq. And as for the southern yankee, I just use it as a base then add sticks of hickory to it. But hey, that's bbq,, we all do it alittle different, and that's what keeps these forums going, if we were all alike, we'd have nothing to talk about.

Brian in So Cal
10-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I had similar experiences as Brian with rancher on my WSM. I think it was just a re-learning experience. Rancher I think burns hotter given the same airflow so I back down the vents sooner and tighter than when using kingsford. I do like the smell of the rancher (man that came out gay), but I think kingsford burns longer with less ash.

Glad someone else had the same experience. (not the gay Part) Thought I was losing it.:-D

NotleyQue
10-11-2007, 09:07 PM
your avitar is scary brian.

AzQer
10-11-2007, 09:33 PM
This is a good debate I just used both I found that the Kingsford lasted longer but more ash, The rancher was hotter cleaner just didnt last that long.

Brian in So Cal
10-11-2007, 10:08 PM
your avitar is scary brian.

That is my friend Bashie. Met him at the So Cal bretheren bash.

smoke-n-my-i's
10-12-2007, 08:15 AM
I will use the Rancher any day over the K stuff..... I do not have a WSM so can not give you any help on that. I have 2 offsets, and when K changed to the new stuff, I switched to Royal Oak lump. I got one bag of Rancher when it came out to try. It sat for probably a month before I remember I had it. I really like it. Burns nice, less ash than K, no odor like K, and I can get a decent burn time out of it.

I would recommend anyone trying it. Don't just use it one time and judge it. Give it a few tries before deciding one way or the other. I messed up and missed loading up on it for the winter, so I got the last 140lbs of the RO the other week. They told me they would not be getting any more in until next spring... LIARS.... last week, they had a new pallet in. They must know me as I bought the last 20 bags last year... and the lady in the garden center remembered me from the time before when I got 15 bags..... maybe they like me and know that if they have some left, I will take it.... never know.

Any way, give it a decent try.

Bill

ZBQ
10-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Man, I learned something this past Saturday. I always use Kingsford in my WSM. I decided to try the Rancher. Totally have to rethink the vent settings. Once it got up to temp I had to almost shut down all three vents to keep temp. About 10 percent open each.

Until I found Rancher, all I used in my WSM was Kingsford (new and old, no significant difference between them that I could tell).

I had this experience with the vent settings on my WSM as well.
Rancher just doesn't take as much air as K to burn.

That being said, once I had it "dialed in" to 230, she stayed there, rock solid, through the whole 20 hour burn on a full ring with the Minion Method. No fiddling with it at all.

Rancher is FAR superior to K, IMHO. No burning tires smell, burns longer, smells nice like lump and less ash. I just adapted to the different vent settings and forgot about K.

I have about 1000 lbs. of Rancher and won't use any more K unless I have to.

It seems to me that for every person who says they don't like Rancher for one reason or another, there are 20 or 30 who love it. Oh well, to each his own.

timzcardz
10-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Love the Rancher!

I have had no problme in the WSM maintaining higher temps, like some said above. I've run it at 300-325 to do prime rib. Just set it and forget it, with a full ring and 3/4 chimney to start, with one vent fully open (the other two closed).

Going at 225, same setup just going with 1/2 chimney to start.

Brian in So Cal
10-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Looks like I just need to practice using the rancher on the WSM, Getting the vents set right. Like I said before it took me several times to figure it out with the K. So I need to be patient.

Will be doing ribs this weekend. Another chance to practice.:-D

tommykendall
10-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Looks like I just need to practice using the rancher on the WSM, Getting the vents set right. Like I said before it took me several times to figure it out with the K. So I need to be patient.

Will be doing ribs this weekend. Another chance to practice.:-D

I'm doing 2 butts tonight for tomorrow's game with the nations #1 team - NOT USC

Brian in So Cal
10-12-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm doing 2 butts tonight for tomorrow's game with the nations #1 team - NOT USC

Would that be Cal?

Tinybud
10-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Made my 3hr trek north on friday to get more rancher, put 30 bags in the back of the truck and another 60 in my trailer, had a flat tire coming home out in the middle of nowhere, no spare,,, but oh well, well worth the trip, Called Home depot in Olean, ny 3 times, twice being told they didn't have any, and the third time, they had 90 bags in stock. So I got a total of 2,020 pounds of rancher on hand,, hopefully it should last alittle while..lol.