PDA

View Full Version : store bought sauces/rubs

prodano
10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I will probably get a different response from everybody who replies, but here it goes. What are everybody's opinions on store bought bbq sauces and rubs, mainly for ribs? When I have time I like to make my own, and always have some rub available, but I want to know what everybody else is using. I have heard good things about head country so I might give it a try. Thanks!

lwest99
10-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I like Blues Hog for the sauce. I use several rubs most of them store bought. I do make Best Ribs in the Universe rub off of TVWB website and like it.

AlabamaGrillBillies
10-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Specifically for ribs, Blues Hog comes to mind. Their original sauce (and rub) are great on ribs.

Sawdustguy
10-08-2007, 04:36 PM
We use commercial rubs and sauces. We use them even at competitions. Why reinvent the wheel? It helps us concentrate on cooking the meats as well as we can. We like Head Country and Spicewine rubs and sauces.

Markbb
10-08-2007, 05:04 PM
I like Head country rub and sauce I have a case on hand all the time, but like anybody I doctor the rub to fit my need at hand, also recently I've been using spicewine signiture spice and its damn good, I'll be ordering a case in the near future..

watg?
10-08-2007, 05:42 PM
I am a fan of Blues Hog and also like Slabs. Both with a little doctering as well.

MilitantSquatter
10-08-2007, 05:47 PM
check out the rubs at hawgeyes... many of the rubs are what teams and home cooks are using when not using there own.

Other rubs not sold at Hawgeyes but quite popular are Spicewine, John Henry's etc.

http://www.bbq-grill-smokers.com/BBQ-Rubs.html

keale
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I just recently tried River City Smokes sauce & rub, and liked it a lot! It tasted good on all meats.

AlabamaGrillBillies
10-08-2007, 06:26 PM
If you are looking for a great chicken rub that goes good on other stuff as well check out Plowboy's Yardbird Rub.

Norcoredneck
10-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Been using Pappy's. Like it. Tried Williams RibTickler and got a lot of compliments. Havn't tried Spicewine on Ribs but have used it on other things and it is great.

CajunSmoker
10-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Gordon's grub rub, Head Country and McClarn's are the ones I've been trying lately. I love the grub rub but it is messy, Head Country is good and my wife likes the McClarn's really well.

AlabamaGrillBillies
10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Gordon's grub rub, Head Country and McClarn's are the ones I've been trying lately. I love the grub rub but it is messy, Head Country is good and my wife likes the McClarn's really well.

I haven't used the grub rub, but have wanted to try it. What's messy about it?

CajunSmoker
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I haven't used the grub rub, but have wanted to try it. What's messy about it?

It's got so much brown sugar in it, that it liquifies after it sits on the meat and runs all over everything. Stills tastes great but it gets all over everything if your not careful.

spicewine
10-08-2007, 07:18 PM
check out the rubs at hawgeyes... many of the rubs are what teams and home cooks are using when not using there own.

Other rubs not sold at Hawgeyes but quite popular are Spicewine, John Henry's etc.

http://www.bbq-grill-smokers.com/BBQ-Rubs.html

Thanks to Plowboy, Spicewine is now available at Hawgeyes

AlabamaGrillBillies
10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks to Plowboy, Spicewine is now available at Hawgeyes

Cool, thats what I call teamwork gentlemen!

prodano
10-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the tips, I am going to give spicewine and head country a try. As for sauce, I usually use KC Masterpiece and if I am going to use it as a glaze I will add honey and reduce it. It will be nice to give these other rubs and sauces a try.

Harbormaster
10-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Prodano, I see you moved.
I make my own rubs, but have always wanted to try some of the commercial brands listed here (Head Country and Spicewine).
As far as sauce goes, I like mine with just a touch of heat. Famous Daves Chipotle is exactly how I like my sauce, so why try and duplicate it? When I buy sauce that's the one. I do make my own glaze/sauce for chicken though.

prodano
10-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Yeah I may live in Iowa now but I am a Packer and Badger fan for life! The type of sauce I like really depends on the day. Sometimes I like a sauce on the sweet side, other times I like it hot and spicy. I have tried famous dave's rich and sassy and liked it, but have not tried the chipotle. I may need to have a day of bbq and try several sauces. Sounds like a good day to me!

bmarley5780
10-09-2007, 11:02 AM
I like George's bbq sauces...

http://georgesbbqsauce.com/

itschris
10-09-2007, 12:26 PM
For a twist... if you had to... what would you use from the normal grocery store. In a pinch, I've found that simmering Sweet Baby Ray's with a bit of honey with some onion works pretty damn good.

Bill-Chicago
10-09-2007, 12:31 PM
For a twist... if you had to... what would you use from the normal grocery store. In a pinch, I've found that simmering Sweet Baby Ray's with a bit of honey with some onion works pretty damn good.

Can you get the other SBR varieties?

They have a good Honey and Brown Sugar mix.

Since its made here, we have like all 9 varieties available at like $1.50 bottle.

SBR Chipotle just came out

MoKanMeathead
10-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I don't think you can beat HomeBBQ.com rib rub with anything. The Slabs pork rub is good along with Smokin Guns Hot.

Sauces - Blues Hog, Slabs, 4 Men and a Pig are all excellent.

itschris
10-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Here in FL (near Tampa/St. Petersburg) I've only seen Sweet Baby Ray's orignal and honey. I have to admit that I don't always want to make my own sauce, nor do I want to go order it somewhere. Sometimes, I just want to run out and grab some so that I have it when I need it.

I'll make my own about 50% of the time. The otherse is just modding some grocery store bought variety. HEY... maybe that a new thread - Modifying Grocery Store bought BBQ sauce. I bet there's quite a few of us who do this now and then.

bbqpigskin
10-09-2007, 01:36 PM
I Like Blues Hog for ribs and Latham's for pulled pork. As far as rubs go, I like Yardbird rub for chicken, Bad Byron's Butt rub or J Leroy's for ribs and Klose Brisket rub for brisket. I kind of fool aroud and doctor the rubs some.

jsimonson0
10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I will probably get a different response from everybody who replies, but here it goes. What are everybody's opinions on store bought bbq sauces and rubs, mainly for ribs? When I have time I like to make my own, and always have some rub available, but I want to know what everybody else is using. I have heard good things about head country so I might give it a try. Thanks!

I use Sweet Baby Ray's Hot and Spicy. I'm experimenting with Smoke Daddy's mustard BBQ sauce. I've been looking for a good mustard sauce and this is tasty. Smoked some wings and basted them with the Smoke Daddy sauce, then finished in the smoker for about an hour. I never did get to try those wings, they were gone by the time I got back to the table with my drink.

For rubs, y'all have heard me go on about The Spice House selection by now...

jsimonson0
10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Forgot to add:

Being the fanatic about heat in food that I am, I keep my eye out for the following:

Walker's Wood Jerk BBQ sauce
Pain is Good Jerk BBQ sauce
BBQ Sauce From Hell
(yes, scotch bonnet and habanero are popular in my household)

None are off the scale hot, but they let ya know that you're experiencing food and not just eating it...

prodano
10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Original sweet baby rays is not one of my favorites, but their hot n spicy and hickory brown sugar varieties are pretty good

The Giggler
10-09-2007, 02:45 PM
For sauces, Wegman's Market has some really good ones. They have an Asian BBQ Sauce that is excellent on teryaki marinaded chicken wings, and a Memphis Style Sauce for pork (I add a little cider vinegar to thin it a touch). Yum. I like these b/c they have good flavor, and are always available at a reasonable price.

La Nova also has a pretty good BBQ Sauce if you like some sweetness.

Rubs, I like Obie Que, John Henry's, Dave Klose's, and The Slabs Pork and Beef. Plus I make a general purpose mild rub that's pretty good too. It can be spiked with cayenne for a little heat. (Hey Sawdust Guy - did any of this show up in your mailbox?)