PDA

View Full Version : Ash, Beech, Birch...

backyardchef
10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Does anyone use these? I see them bundled as 'hardwood' w/ oak and maple....has anyone ever tried those pre-fab wood bundles for cooking? I've always been afraid of burning something that shouldn't be in a pit, but I've thought about them when I've been in a pinch before.....Anyone?

Don Marco
10-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Beech is propably the most popular grilling wood in germany, youll be fine with it.

I cooked my surf & turf today over beechfire and it was delicious.

Birch burns a bit dirty imho and i have no cooking experience with ash except for a campfire, where it burns really fast.

DM

Harbormaster
10-05-2007, 02:15 PM
I use birch splits on my grill and in my pits all the time. Love it. If I could get beech I'd use that too.

Cuelio
10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I use ash that I harvest from my yard. It works just fine, but lacks some of the flavor that say, oak or hickory have. Doesn't smell pretty like some other woods, but it's good fuel and leaves a beautiful ring on my stuff.

Bill-Chicago
10-05-2007, 04:09 PM
I get sticks (1" diam) of paper birch every year from trimming my paper birch tree.

I cut them into chunklets and use them in the Weber kettle for poultry.

Not alot of BTU's when I use them in the Dera (in stick form) and I need to wait 3 years to have enough to use. They go poof in the bigger cooker.

Puppyboy
10-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I love to use ash on beef, especially brisket. I find birch works best on poultry. I have not used beech yet.

MAsQue
10-05-2007, 07:07 PM
I took a birch tree out of my sister's yard a couple of years ago that had started out as one of the wild birch you find in some places on Long Island - maybe someone would know what species they are, I don't. In any case, I found it to be fast burning and a bit "ashy". Meat tasted a bit tangy to me, not unpleasant, but not something I'd look for.

backyardchef
10-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Interesting.....I guess I might just burn some to see what they smell like. I've got a whole bunch of cherry that I just picked up that'll last a while....

Neil
10-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Beech should be good because it is a nut hardwood and throws out alot of BTU's.

StLouQue
10-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Ash...really? I'll have to give that a try. I have two trees in the backyard that regularly shed branches. I've just been using them in my outdoor NB fire pit.