PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite ABT recipe

Rub-A-Dub
10-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Thinking about doing some for the in-laws this weekend. What is your favorite recipe?

Norcoredneck
10-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Cream cheese, diced salad shrimp, sharp cheddar, rub for filling. Top with thin bacon, more rub on bacon.

The_Kapn
10-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Make it a poll--they are popular right now. :roll:

For me, Cream Cheese, 4 spice Tex-Mex cheese, meat filler, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, Essence.

Posted this several times before, just too lazy to look it up.
I need to add it to my personal FAQ document so I can cut and paste in the future. :lol:

TIM

keale
10-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Just the basics, cream cheese, cheese on hand. Never tried putting rub on the bacon, sounds good! I have 5 jalapeno plants starting to bear fruit, man its like watching water boil! They sell here for 6.99/lb.!

JimT
10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
When you just keep experimenting and never do them the same way twice, it's hard to get a "favorite!"

:idea:

JimT

The Pickled Pig
10-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I like cayenne mixed with the cream cheese. The peppers end up mild after cooking and I like a little heat. I also like to top with a Lil Smokie and wrap with bacon.

Dakaty
10-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Sautee a rough chopped medium sized strong (not a 1014 type) onion and several large cloves of chopped garic in EV olive oil until veggies are clear. Add 1 lb of Jimmy Deans Sage sausage. Cook until sausage is done and crumbled. Pour hot sausage mixture over (2) 8 oz packages of cream cheese, 16 oz of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and 3/4 cup of white shoe peg corn (all at room temperature.) Mix well. Load mixture into a "caulk gun" type cookie maker and pump into well cleaned hollowed out japs. Use 1/2 slice of bacon and make a "turbin cap" on each pepper, secured by two toothpicks. Sprinkle heavily with paprika (mainly for looks).

This will do 50 medium peppers. My friends and family beg for them!!

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-03-2007, 07:52 PM
pulled pork
cream cheese
shallot
jamaican firewalk
maybe a little rosemary
no toothpick
:biggrin:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29570&highlight=abt+nirvana

Ron_L
10-03-2007, 08:19 PM
How about some Turd Rangoons?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=282341&postcount=3

Otherwise I use cream cheese, shredded co-jack cheese, crumbled fatty and bacon and the chopped jalapeño tops.

Brian in So Cal
10-03-2007, 08:40 PM
The recipe I have has me cook cook them on the BBQ at 350 for about 20 mins. I would like to smoke them instead. Anybody can tell me what temp and how long?

Thanks,
Brian

The Pickled Pig
10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
The recipe I have has me cook cook them on the BBQ at 350 for about 20 mins. I would like to smoke them instead. Anybody can tell me what temp and how long?

Thanks,
Brian

I always wrap with bacon so I cook until the bacon is done.:-P

The Pickled Pig
10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
pulled pork
cream cheese
shallot
jamaican firewalk
maybe a little rosemary
no toothpick
:biggrin:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29570&highlight=abt+nirvana

What is Jamaican firewalk?

Ron_L
10-03-2007, 09:18 PM
What is Jamaican firewalk?

Google is your friend :-D

First hit...

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/HTMLrubs/firewalk1.html

bigabyte
10-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't think I've met an ABT I didn't like yet. Some meorable ones were made with Fresno peppers.

The Pickled Pig
10-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Google is your friend :-D

First hit...

Thanks.

JD McGee
10-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Tilamook "Pepper Jack", hickory smoked bacon, and a little sprinkle of magic dust...:biggrin:

JD

swamprb
10-03-2007, 09:32 PM
ABT's are like Fatties, they can be left to you own imagination and the possibilities are endless. I'm a leftover guy so most anything could end up in mine. Right now I'm thinking about an ABT stuffed Fatty, but should I cook the Bacon first???
Mix up pepper varieties, Red Anchos are the same size and have a nice bite to them, Swiss cheese chunks or String cheese with the Cream cheese are great. Crabmeat mixed with the CC and green onions and you'll think you were at Trader Vic's.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_2005.jpg

thirdeye
10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%206/DSC03253a.jpg

I like:

cream cheese with a cheese blend mixed in for texture
crushed garlic added to the cheese
rub added to the cream cheese
barbacoa, pulled pork, sausage or crab (hey, variety is the spice of life)
wrapped with bacon, little rub or pepper blend
sometimes a maple syrup glaze during the end of the cookOh yeah, mine are boat style, not whole.

Here are Chubby's ABT's....he is my mentor. Full pepper, seasoned cream cheese, lil' smokey that has been in the freezer until really cold. He turned me on to the maple syrup glaze.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%204/ABT7.jpg

JD McGee
10-03-2007, 09:41 PM

Thanks,
Brian

I've cooked them several times on my WSM when I'm smoking ribs or butts. I smoke them for an hour at 250 deg turning after 30 minutes or so and pull 'em when the bacon crisps. http://picasaweb.google.com/johnrhana/HowToAssembleAnABT/photo#5106004808083133106

JD

iceboxbbq
10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
pineapple cream cheese wrapped bacon then some rub

Papa Hogg
10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
pineapple cream cheese wrapped bacon then some rub

Similar to mine:
Crushed pineapple
onion & chive cream cheese
cheddar cheese
a bit of minced garlic
wrap with bacon
sprinkle with rub

Porky
10-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Cream cheese, finely chopped orange flavored crasins(Ocean Spray), sprinkle of your favorite rub that has some heat, pulled pork or shredded brisket. I am making myself drool!!!

VitaminQ
10-06-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm liking the pineapple idea. That's going into the "try this" file for next time.

I've tried crabmeat in the filling, but maybe I didn't use enough because it was just kinda "meh." I prefer little smokies or other smoked sausage with cream cheese and sharp cheddar. Worcestershire sauce is a must in my book. I've been thinking about trying a pig-candy treatment on the bacon. Hot and sweet is always a winner- that's why I like the pineapple idea.

Markbb
10-06-2007, 08:07 AM
I've been stuffing mine with a mixture of ground beef and refried beans and a taco seasoning wrapped in very thinly cut bacon....your imagination is the limit with these things!

Bigdog
10-06-2007, 09:28 AM
This is a great thread guys.:eusa_clap Mod note: Please add this to the roadmap.

motoeric
10-06-2007, 12:25 PM
The pineapple is a great idea. I like the mix of the hot and sweet. I like to mix apricot preserves in with the cream cheese. I'm going to be making some for tomorrow and I think I'll try some with the pineapple and some with the craisens (another great idea).

I'll let you know how it works out.

Eric

Beerwolf
10-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Pineapple or peach with some RED onions finely chopped really rock!

You can get the pineapple cream cheese already mixed if you are in a rush

Im thinking about smoked baby oysters and creamed cheese sometime.. what think all?

motoeric
10-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Ok, so I prepared some ABT's for the Jets/Giants game tomorrow (stop by Willie B's and try one!).

I was bored and feeling a bit odd, so I made three varieties. I'll let you know Monday how they turned out.

1) Very basic. Cream cheese, cheese wiz (I know, don't say it) and bacon bits.

2) Cream cheese, craisens, raspberry preserves and rum.

3) Thai influenced: cream cheese (noticing a pattern?), peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, pineapple.

I also made some stuffed bell peppers (rice, cheese, black beans, pulled pork, seasonings), but that's for another thread.

Eric

tumpedover
10-06-2007, 11:49 PM
My Favorite this year so far has been Hatch Chilis stuffed with a fairly typical stuffing of cream cheese, crumbled and cooked chorizo,small chunks of sharp cheddar, and saute'd green onion tops. Of course wrapped in bacon......those puppies were AWESOME!! sorry no pics!

BBQPrincess
10-07-2007, 08:24 AM
What a wonderful variety of the ABT's here. I can't imagine an ABT that is not just totally delicious! They are one of those "I bet ya can't eat one"...things :-)

motoeric
10-07-2007, 09:58 PM
The ABT's went over very well at Willie's tailgate party. I was VERY surprised at the change in all of the flavor varieties after smoking. The rum, for example, completely receded into the background but still had a nice mellow flavor.

All in all, they were fun to make and all were enjoyable, but I think I still prefer the basic ABT.

Eric

bbqjoe
10-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Purist. Crabmeat, cream cheese, soysauce.
2 hours @ 225°.

Harbormaster
10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
I did some that were stuffed w/ chopped cherries and smoked string cheese wrpped in bacon.
Very popular with the neighbors and the wife (which was a huge surprise).

Norcoredneck
10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%204/ABT7.jpg
Thought you were a no toothpick guy!:mrgreen:

Brian in So Cal
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Those look great. I wnat some and I want some NOW!:-D

HoosierTrooper
10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I made some for a party awhile back with the younger kids in mind. I cored out the peppers very thoroughly and soaked them in water for several hours. I've been told that this cuts some of the heat, but I don't know if that's true or not. Sliced them lengthwise and filled them with Velveeta cheese and sprinkled bacon bits and a little bit of TexasBBQ rub on them. They were a real hit with the 10-12 year olds that don't like the real hot stuff.