PDA

View Full Version : Happier Than a Pig In Chit! With Picture

MileHighSmoker
09-22-2007, 02:19 PM
I know it is small-time or lazy-q to you fellas but I am now the proud owner of a Bradley Digital. I was going to hold out for a cookshack but this is what came along for me.

I have been without a smoker since moving here 2 months ago and selling my SKD.

Now the question will be... What kinda que will it produce? :confused:

Don Marco
09-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Congrats and good luck with your new ove...:icon_shy um... smoker :wink:

I wonder how it performs.
I īve seen em in a german online store a couple of days ago, too, but its way overpriced.

How much are the "pucks" in the US and how long do they last ?
Do the Pucks produce only smoke or smoke and heat ?

DM

Rub-A-Dub
09-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Gratz!!!!! very nice

MileHighSmoker
09-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Congrats and good luck with your new ove...:icon_shy um... smoker :wink:

I wonder how it performs.
I īve seen em in a german online store a couple of days ago, too, but its way overpriced.

How much are the "pucks" in the US and how long do they last ?
Do the Pucks produce only smoke or smoke and heat ?

DM

According to their site it is about $1 an hour to run including pucks and electricity. Not too bad considering what I spent in wood and charcoal.

I am intrigued by the digital control of temperature and frequency of smoke. The door forms an extremely tight seal so less smoke should go further. By automatically dumping the "spent" pucks into a water bowl it supposedly cuts down on any bitter taste.

I picked up 2 large racks of babybacks that will make their way into it in the next few days. That and I am going to try the bean I was braggin about a couple of weeks ago in it.

butts a fire
09-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Congrats, you'll have to post some pictures so we can see that thing in action.

BBQ_MAFIA
09-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Good luck with your new toy.

Let us know how you like it.

BigAl
09-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Let me know when the meat is is done, I'll be right over, neighbor!

JamesB
09-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I've always avoided these smokers due to the proprietary fuel source... but, then again, I've always wondered how the cooked...

James.

MileHighSmoker
09-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Well I couldn't control myself I had to play with my new toy even before I had any meat ready to go in it. I fired it up this afternoon and ran it through a 1 hour cycle. It burns 1 puck every 20 minutes. The smoke was clean and gave off a nice fruity aroma because I was burning their apple puck. I was pleased with the quantity and quality of smoke although it took a little longer to get to temp (even empty) than I had hoped. On a second dry run it got up quickly. I think the trick it to set it high, then slow er down when it gets close to the 230 zone.

I have 2 racks of ribs in the fridge defrosting and think I will apply some rub tomorrow. Looks like Monday will be rib day. The beauty of it all is that I work from home and can put the ribs on early after noon and give them a 4 - 5 hour cook in time for dinner.:cool:

txschutte
09-22-2007, 10:20 PM
This is a BBq site, right? Who gives a chit how you do it if it works for you? I need pics Mon. nite.

MileHighSmoker
09-22-2007, 10:27 PM
This is a BBq site, right? Who gives a chit how you do it if it works for you? I need pics Mon. nite.

Will do txschutte.

I am debating on if it will produce better que than my rookie hand could make on my offset due to the consistency of constant temp and clean smoke. I have to admit that with my offset I would occasionally run hot sometimes then be fighting bad smoke the next. Ribs will be a good first run but it won't be until I can get a shoulder or brisket on that I will get a true long smoke test.

txschutte
09-22-2007, 10:34 PM
If it doesn't work for you, we're not that far away, we can do the UDS ting and call it a trash can!:twisted:

MileHighSmoker
09-22-2007, 10:39 PM
If it doesn't work for you, we're not that far away, we can do the UDS ting and call it a trash can!:twisted:

If push comes to shove we will have to invent the YFFS (thats Yuppy Fake Fireplace Smoker) and figure a way to turn my Heatilator into a Meatilator. :oops: Maybe I have been drinking too much tonight.

txschutte
09-22-2007, 10:51 PM
I haven't found a homeowners covenant that I can't get around yet!

Bossmanbbq
09-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Only problem you will have with the neighbors bro is not having enough to feed the whole neighborhood:wink:

txschutte
09-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Only problem you will have with the neighbors bro is not having enough to feed the whole neighborhood:wink:
Fark em. Probably stuck up bastages anyway.

MileHighSmoker
09-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Today my ribs should be defrosted enough to soak in a brine of liquid smoke (okay I am totally kidding) but they should actually be defrosted some so I can put a rub on them. Tomorrow is smoking day. Perhaps I will throw one of the infamous fatties on just as a shout out to the brethren!

jpw23
09-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Why can't you have a charcoal smoker? Seems if it smokes at all it would go against the homeowner thingy. Put up a big fence so they can't see your back yard...BTW...congrats on the new toy:biggrin:

Roo-B-Q'N
09-23-2007, 11:30 AM
With the title of this thread I thought we were going to see a pig in chit:rolleyes:

Good luck with the new toy brother.

beerguy
09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Im sure it will magically appear now! Congrats on the new toy MileHigh

vr6Cop
09-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Congrats on that pickup. It's a whole lot easier to set & forget than to fiddle with sticks all day. I hope your ribs turn out great!

CrimsonSmoke
09-23-2007, 02:21 PM
looks nice now get to cooking.. I wonder if anybody is going to try and bust you out when they see the smoke.

Norcoredneck
09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Congrats, hope you got some meat going by now.

MileHighSmoker
09-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Ribs are not going on until tomorrow they were all frozen at the store when I went in yesterday. Maybe that was why they were 1/2 off. I can wait an extra day to save half on baby backs.

I think I am going to just salt and pepper them tomorrow when I pull them out of the fridge. Let them sit out for half hour or so and then let them warm up in the smoker.

I am thinking about letting them smoke for 2 hours at 230' in hickory smoke, then basting them in sauce and foiling them for an hour, then giving them an hour outside of the foil and another basting in sauce. Maybe a quick shot on a hot grill to finish them up.

Anyone have some feedback on this plan for me?

On baby backs is it better to go by temp, time or feel & bend?

MileHighSmoker
09-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Sorry to do this to ya fellas but for my 100th post I couldn't help but add a poll. I think BBQJoe is getting in my head.

chibi
09-23-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a friend with a Bradley. He makes some killer jerky. Nice unit. Cannot wait for the results.
Oh and screw HOAS!!

Solidkick
09-23-2007, 06:33 PM
We bought one about a year ago, I was disappointed in the fact that you had to cut the slab of ribs in half to get them in the cooker....but that's just me being picky.

You can get too much smoke in the meat with one of these units. I can't remember what the recomendation of puck usage was, but it is correct, I tried using my own thoughts as to how much was needed, and it was just like eating a tree. YUCK!

Check the Bradley site....They have a forum that has a guy that sells metal pucks that you use for the last 2 in the hopper so that you get the full burn time out of the wood pucks...pretty good idea!

Ron_L
09-23-2007, 06:43 PM
If the Bradley is anything like my Cookshack, you really don't need to foil. The closed box keep moisture in and the food comes out great without foil. I never go my time and temp for ribs. Always by sight and feel. Look for the meat to pull back from the bones about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and the rack should bend easily. 4 - 5 hours should do it depending in the size of the ribs.

MileHighSmoker
09-23-2007, 10:28 PM
some good advise. I better read up on the reccomended amount of wood to feed. Unfortunatly my used model did not come with a user guide. I will check out their site

MileHighSmoker
09-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Today is rib day. Feels like Christmas!

Ron_L
09-24-2007, 04:11 PM
If it really were Christmas we'd already have pictures to prove it :rolleyes:

MileHighSmoker
09-24-2007, 06:45 PM
If it really were Christmas we'd already have pictures to prove it :rolleyes:

Oh but you will. I have been snapping pics all day throughout the process. Ribs are about 45 minutes from being done but the fattie I did is only at 145 or so.

Most likely I will start a whole new thread late tonight.

MileHighSmoker
09-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I just posted the first pictures under a Thread called "New Smoker - First Test: RIBS with Pictorial Walkthru"

bbqjoe
09-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Will it get bigger when it gets older????