PDA

View Full Version : Tips for deep fryers

jpw23
09-16-2007, 10:53 AM
I saw my neighbor doing this the other day. He had just deep fried a bunch of fish, oils was all fishy and nasty. He started deep frying pieces of bread, a few pieces later, no fishy smell at all and the oil looked very clean....just something to think about.

big brother smoke
09-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I heard of that trick! Guess it works, thanks!

keale
09-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks thats a good tip, can't you use bread also to soak up oils in soup and stews?

jpw23
09-16-2007, 12:31 PM
can't you use bread also to soak up oils in soup and stews?Don't know....sounds like it would work.

chad
09-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Another way to help clean the oil a bit is to fry potatoes.

bbqjoe
09-16-2007, 01:31 PM
frying things like potatoes won't hinder oil much. Breaded items tend to break oil down when allowed to remain in the bottom.
Once oil has cooled you can place a coffee filter in a sieve and filter out the sediment.
Fish is hard on the odor of frying oils.
I will usually wait until the oil is at it's last stages before I fry fish in it, and will then just throw it out.
But again, your oil can be used many times, especially if you keep it clean between uses.

The bread thing is completely new to me.
I'd have to fry a lot of bread to get ten gallons of oil odorless.

jpw23
09-16-2007, 01:35 PM
I would say that commercial apps don't apply here.....just homeowner stuff. 10 gallons of oil would be very hard to clean up.

jpw23
09-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Side note and my own hijack.....Joe, do you sell your used oil or do you have to pay a company to pick it up.......these days of bio-diesle(sp) would make used oil a fair market item.

bbqjoe
09-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Side note and my own hijack.....Joe, do you sell your used oil or do you have to pay a company to pick it up.......these days of bio-diesle(sp) would make used oil a fair market item.
Interesting you should ask.
Years ago the rendering companies used to supply the containers for used oil, and send you a check when they picked it up.
Later on they convinced businesses that it wasn't realistic to pay for it, and they would just pick it up for free.
Nowadays they charge you for the container and there is a charge for picking up the used oil.
The last bill I paid, I sent a letter along requesting they rethink their policy, and consider paying us for it once again. And if not, I would look around and see if there wasn't someone else who might be interested in buying it.
Waiting for response.

rbinms33
09-16-2007, 04:16 PM
When I do a fish fry I usually do my fries at the end to help clean the oil. I'll try the bread thing next time though. I bet that makes for some nasty croutons though....:lol:

CajunSmoker
09-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Interesting you should ask.
Years ago the rendering companies used to supply the containers for used oil, and send you a check when they picked it up.
Later on they convinced businesses that it wasn't realistic to pay for it, and they would just pick it up for free.
Nowadays they charge you for the container and there is a charge for picking up the used oil.
The last bill I paid, I sent a letter along requesting they rethink their policy, and consider paying us for it once again. And if not, I would look around and see if there wasn't someone else who might be interested in buying it.
Waiting for response.

Tell them that they are paying for it in Louisiana. I don't know how much but my convenience store chicken place owner told me that they are buying it now:-D

jgh1204
09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Better yet, buy a diesel pickup and burn your own. Everytime you drive people will ask, "Do you smell fish?"