PDA

View Full Version : What Would YOU do?>

Beerwolf
09-07-2007, 09:52 PM
OK.... here is the dillema: I just scored a nice 22-1/2 "Webber on Craigs WHY? So I have an even 6 bbq? HELL I dont know. First I was thinking about canabalizing it for a UDS. Then I was thinking it would be good as is, but I already have 2 ECB's I use for my "light work" Any other Ideas?

JD McGee
09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
A weber what? Need more info bro!

JD

txschutte
09-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey JD , you just got polled.

Beerwolf
09-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Oh Chit... sorry about that...Just your garrage variety 22-1/2" Webber

txschutte
09-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Chop it up.

BBQchef33
09-07-2007, 10:25 PM
u dont say if u have a kettle already.

if not, then now u have a grill.

River City Smokehouse
09-07-2007, 10:34 PM
OK.... here is the dillema: I just scored a nice 22-1/2 "Webber on Craigs WHY? So I have an even 6 bbq? HELL I dont know. First I was thinking about canabalizing it for a UDS. Then I was thinking it would be good as is, but I already have 2 ECB's I use for my "light work" Any other Ideas?

The bold indicates 22 1/2" Weber. I don't think Weber makes anything in 22 1/2" except for a Kettle. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Me? I hate to tear up a Weber Kettle. I'd use it like it is. Congrats on the find. I'm looking for a deal like that on another one too.

Beerwolf
09-07-2007, 10:36 PM
So far I got 2 gassers, one Stainless ECB awaiting mods, One Modded ECB, one mini propane Q that rides in the truck and my abortionated ( or is that bastardized?) horizontal smoker with a center feed firebox.
So I guess the question is: Do I need another Grille or another smoker?

swamprb
09-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Around here, Webers are a dime a dozen, come Winter and the rains come Free ones sprout like mushrooms on craigslist. So if it was me I would use it for a UDS in a heartbeat. I don't know what the market for kettles in Cloverdale are, or if you are even ready for a UDS, but I love mine and they are so easy to use, once you've tried it you will ask yourself why you even bothered with the ECB's. JMO

Even if you cannibalize it and keep the lid and grates, do what I did, shorten the legs on the kettle bottom and resell them on CL as Redneck Firepits- you might even come out ahead!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_1714.jpg

Sold three at $20 a pop!

ElCheapoBrian

Rusty_Barton
09-08-2007, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't have any of that Weber crap in my house.

Of course its not, its all in the backyard. :biggrin:

Single Fin Smoker
09-08-2007, 01:34 AM
I sorta agree with swamp if you have definite plans for a UDS(I presently find myself on the sorta-UDS plan).
My suggestion is if its in good working order ie, grates in decent condition, and not too dirty- use it a couple a times. Try a few direct and indirect cooks with it before you dump it.
I found mine in the neighbors trash(boring story). I only took it because it seemed such a waste. My father in law had his for twenty years before he tossed it. When he found out I had one, he pulled out all these cool weber attachments, bought from k-mart he had sittin his garage for some 20 odd years and gave em to me. STOKED!!!!
Anyway, I fell fell in love with it and after watching Leanzas rotisseried tri-tip cook at the "Lite the tires and kick the fires", I am damn proud to be apart of the Weber nation.

2nd suggestion: cook some corn on it with charcoal and soaked chips, inderect cleaned of all the strings but still in the husks. DAMN GOOD!

Single Fin Smoker
09-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot.....my Weber kettle has also helped me to rediscover the lost art and joy of cooking burgers over charcoal.

qman
09-08-2007, 05:40 AM
Highest and Best use of a Weber Kettle, is --As a Weber Kettle Grill. What it was designed for.
Every serious back-yard cook needs at least one of these guys. They are the simpelest, best and most versatile charcoal/wood grill around.

Of course, nothing wrong with using one to make a UDS if that is what you need.

BBQ_MAFIA
09-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Use it as a kettle grill like it was intended.

Neil
09-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Use it as a kettle grill like it was intended.

Ditto that Paison

Neil
09-08-2007, 06:32 AM
You can canibalize it for a UDS 25 years from now when it starts to deteriate a little! I still use the one I received as a gift in 1980.

Spydermike72
09-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Use it as it was intended. As the best charcoal grill on the market. Nothing better than a good steak on a hot charcoal grill. Also chicken is better on a weber than a gasser, IMHO.

timzcardz
09-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Use it as intended. They're great!

Even though I have two Weber gassers, a WSM, and a Weber kettle, if I saw a good deal on any of these I would pick them up in a heart beat. I'd probably have to hide it from my wife though!

tkuehn5410
09-08-2007, 08:18 AM
I'd chop it up and use it for UDS parts -there is nothing better in the world than set it and forget it.

CajunSmoker
09-08-2007, 09:54 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_4_145.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYYYUS) I just got my first Weber kettle a few weeks ago and since then I have truly enjoyed grilling for the first time in a long time. Keep it like it is.

Ron_L
09-08-2007, 10:06 AM
If you don't want to use it as it is designed, here's an idea...

I saw a post somewhere (can't find it now but maybe on the Virtual Bullet forum) where a guy had taken a 55 gallon drum and used it in between the two parts of the kettle to make a giant WSM. It looked pretty cool.

JD McGee
09-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Do you have a kettle grill? If not keep it as is. If so...make a UDS out of it!

JD

JD McGee
09-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey JD , you just got polled.

Huh!...What?...Where?!!!

JD

Rookie'48
09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
If you don't want to use it as it is designed, here's an idea...

I saw a post somewhere (can't find it now but maybe on the Virtual Bullet forum) where a guy had taken a 55 gallon drum and used it in between the two parts of the kettle to make a giant WSM. It looked pretty cool.

I've seen one of those magnum WSMs up close, pretty awsome!
Dave

yelonutz
09-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Bring it to the No. Cal bash. We ( me and trp1fox) are going to build a bds or uds on site.

Irrad8
09-08-2007, 11:00 PM
my weber has been thru a tornado and survived multiple tailgate cooks at football games and nascar races and 100's of backyard parties. She was my first grill and still my best girl.

Beerwolf
09-09-2007, 01:21 AM
I gotta admit, I was pretty set on the UDS route and was ready to hack me a ring out of the bowl so I could get an upper grate. Then I looked at this thing close, it was completely dent free, the grilles were in great condition and it did come with a very nice cover. I threw some Rancher on and fired that mutha up. What came out were some of the tastiest burgers Id made in a long time. ... Time for a new pole: What works faster, electric starter or a chimney starter>?

WannaBeBBQueen
09-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Sell sell sell...you can always find another on craiglist...lol

Leeper
09-09-2007, 09:51 AM
If you don't want to grill with it you could always try to use it as a planter box.

FatDaddy
09-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Id fix it up and keep it.. I love my 22.5" weber. wouldnt trade it for anything.

rbinms33
09-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot.....my Weber kettle has also helped me to rediscover the lost art and joy of cooking burgers over charcoal.

I got my Weber Kettle last year for Christmas with the full intent of making a Weber Magnum out of it. But then I started using it and now my gas grill sits dormant. I'll now have to get another used Kettle to complete my Magnum project. If you already have a kettle, I say turn it into a UDS but if not, they sure are handy to fire up and cook on. And as Fin says, there's nothing like a burger or steak over charcoal.

Porky
09-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Got my OTG over Labor Day weekend and just love the taste of the food that comes off it. I have been doing spatchcock chicken with rub and thighs and drummies on one of those holder thingies. I did them all indirect with apple chips and they are outstanding. Does anyone use the One Touch in comps to do there chicken?

Harbormaster
09-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Use it to bring the joy of cooking like a real man over charcoal to some poor, lost, misguided soul who uses only gas (not that there's anything wrong with that..)
I just gave one of my kettles away to a life long gasser and he is HOOKED! Wants to buy a smoker now.

kbrew
09-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I was just thinking how I shoulda got a ranch kettle instead of the Char-Griller Offset I just traded everything for, cuz I miss my 22"er so much. Then I saw yer thread. Keep the thing for awhile and see how much you use it. I believe you'll have it a long while....

kbrew
09-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Oh, and I also switched to the electric starter and have been happy w/that choice. I had been using a chimney over my turkey-fryer burner-- quick, yes, but messy and cumbersome....