PDA

View Full Version : The things that make a contest great - The prizes

parrothead
07-19-2006, 11:30 AM
The prizes

I'm not talking about the cash. That is spelled out before you get there. I'm talking the trophies. This is the main reason that I do it.

I haven't been to too many yet, but they seem a little bit lacking sometimes. I usually see just iron for first place and ribbons through 5th or maybe even 10th. The one in Racine that is coming up says that there are trophies through 5th place. I like that. I know Grill Kings does them through third, are they still doing that?

What does everybody else see at competitons?

How about unique trophies like the wood burned cutting boards?

Jeff_in_KC
07-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Mostly ribbons... some better than others. And don't cut costs by having a ribbon that says "3rd Place" only! Tell me what it's for! Put the category on it. Tell me what date and what the contest name was! It's not that difficult.

I liked the plaques at Sedalia, MO this year. They were wood plaques in the shape of Missouri with a three dimensional type decorative plate oattached containing contest name, date and category. Pretty neat! That's my favorite one. Got one trophy this year but nothing too fancy. You wouldn't know it's a BBQ trophy unless you read the plate.

voodoobbqIL
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
If memery serves Jeff doesn't one of your ribbons have no place at all of it? :)

VitaminQ
07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
At Art of BBQ in Tulsa last weekend I noticed that the prizes were various plates and platters that appeared to be hand-painted. They were neat. I don't know how far down the placing order they went, though.

cmcadams
07-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I like platters or cutting boards... what I don't like is getting just one... I'd like to have a way to order, at cost, extras of same award. When I compete, I have a teammate, and I know we'd both like the award to show off, but with just one, that's tough to do.

Jeff_in_KC
07-19-2006, 03:23 PM
If memery serves Jeff doesn't one of your ribbons have no place at all of it? :)

Yeah, that's a sore spot with me dang it! For 8th place ribs at Grand Rapids, the ribbon says "Honorable Mention". HONORABLE MENTION!! 8th place out of 56 teams and all I got was "Honorable Mention"! Explain THAT to someone who wasn't there while they're looking over your awards! :roll: Actually, 6th through 10th ribbons in each category say "Honorable Mention" Fark that!

MoKanMeathead
07-19-2006, 03:25 PM
I want a little brown jug.:wink:

The trophies and ribbons are nice and last much longer than the cash, however I remember a thread here not long ago where some were complaining about a contest that is coming up because the cash awards were so small. I like the trophies AND the cash.

parrothead
07-19-2006, 04:37 PM

The trophies and ribbons are nice and last much longer than the cash, however I remember a thread here not long ago where some were complaining about a contest that is coming up because the cash awards were so small. I like the trophies AND the cash.

Cash awards are usually known before you sign up.If you don't like they don't like the amount, they don't have to sign up. Think I said that in the original post.

The_Kapn
07-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Funny thing at Dothan recently.
They had trophies for the BackYard event.
Pro was "paycheck" only. Paying 10 places deep.
No trophies, ribbons, or .....nothin' but $$. Weird :lol:
I let it slide cause there was only two "hiccups" on a first year event and I can live with that. And, trophies do cost money. And, I liked my $$ :lol:

I think ribbons suck- period.
If it is worth an award, it is worth at least a tiny trophy.
Our 8th place ribs at Key Largo got us a teenie-tiny little trophy--maybe 4" high. But, it was brass and looks KEWL on a mantle, display shelf at a comp, or on a web page.
At Starke last fall, I cooked with Kevin (HomeBBQ). First place and upper trophies were huge with little BBQ smokers on top of each. Impressive with the thought given to do that!
Heavy to lug all that brass back cause Kevin was on a tear and basically won it all!

Except for Key Largo and Dothan, most events we have done award brass for 1-5 with ribbons below. Best I can remember anyway.

Keep the ribbons (except for lots of them in Kid's Que), IMHO!

TIM

ique
07-19-2006, 05:19 PM

I want a big whiskey barrel. :wink: :wink:

Q Haven
07-19-2006, 05:51 PM
At the Lake Placid event they gave Olympic style medals for gold, silver and bronze for first thru third. I thought that was very cool (even though I didn't win one!)

billm
07-20-2006, 07:52 AM
personally i like a little bit of cash even if it just covers gas or meat costs..

The_Kapn
07-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Banners for the GC.
And maybe 1st in each meat at huge contests.

Those vinyl banners are great for your cook site or den.:lol:
Permanent recognition.

Should be able to get a local sign company to donate them in return for a small, discrete "Donated by ........" in a lower corner or listing them as a sponsor.

TIM

Bellybro
07-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I'lll have to say I like the money to help do the next one. But i like the trophy for the memories!

We have a special trophy that will be unveiled at the Boone County Fair this weekend!

I think Jay really wnats it bad. "L"

midnight
07-27-2006, 10:06 PM
One of the local contest here does handmade ceramic trophies and cash. The only complaint I have is that all the trophies are the same size (1st through 3rd) they have an engraved metal tag that says what place and for what, but I would like to see first get a bigger one than third.

Here is a pic of the trophy - might be a small pic, sorry.

parrothead
08-09-2006, 04:41 AM
bump

smokincracker
08-09-2006, 06:55 AM
I was told the Ft. Rutcker trophys were awsome?

nancee
08-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok, this is not going to make me too popular but we are sick to death of cheapie dust collectors, plus it just seems like a waste of money. Either put the money into cash, reative awards ie guitarbeque, etc or just give out goodies aka grill kings. To have a roomfull of trophies are are undistinguishable from each other becomes meaningless quick. My $.02