PDA

View Full Version : Serving Pork and Brisket over a long time

Pipin' Pig
09-05-2007, 10:17 AM
If you were making pork and brisket for a large (relatively for me) group of people that you expect to eat over a longer (again relatively) period of time how would you keep the pork and brisket after it is done until ready to eat?

I will be smoking butts and brisket over the next two weekends for many of the same people. The second weekend is what I am more concerned about as it is more people as well as a longer overall eating time.

I play pipes with the Charleston Police Pipe band and our grade II competition band does not compete at the Charleston Highland games but our two lower grade bands (Grade IV and V) do. For the past two years I have done BBQ for the entire group as we are all out supporting the two lower bands and all the solo competitors. The day of the games, because of various band and solo competitions, etc. I expect the roughly 60+ people to belly up for the grub from about 11 AM on up to about 6 PM.

In the past I have done only pork and that seems to have a higher tolorance for staying in the smoker over a longer period of time so I can pull out one but at a time. I would prefer to have all the brisket done as I do not know how fast that will go not having done it for this group before.

Puppyboy
09-05-2007, 02:18 PM
So are you playing and cooking at the same time?

Pipin' Pig
09-05-2007, 02:39 PM
So are you playing and cooking at the same time?

I may or may not play solos. A couple others from our grade two band are doing an all nighter cooking so we can work in shifts and get some sleep. I am registering but if I play or not will depend on how tired I am.

bbqbull
09-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I would use chaffing dishes and some beef broth to keep the food moist.Use the long burning fuel containers. I think there good for like 5 hours.Dont forget to use boiling hot water in the bottom pan before you place the food pan into the unit. You should be fine doing it like that. Make sure you have plenty of extra fuel available and someone trustworthy to keep the fires burning to keep the food above 140 degrees during the time you need to keep food available to serve.Good luck.

tkuehn5410
09-05-2007, 10:41 PM
I would consider keeping the briskets in a cooler. I have kept them warm (140 degrees plus) for up to about 12 hours sitting in one. Another option is to place a heating pad in the cooler on a low setting and keeping the brisket warm that way. When you need another one you can pull it out and be set to go.

bbqbull
09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
I would consider keeping the briskets in a cooler. I have kept them warm (140 degrees plus) for up to about 12 hours sitting in one. Another option is to place a heating pad in the cooler on a low setting and keeping the brisket warm that way. When you need another one you can pull it out and be set to go.

Chit, I misread this thread. Yes definately foil and place your food into a preheated cooler.I use one of those ????? grey colored coolers that hold ice for 3 days. I dump in boiling water for an hour, drain and towel dry. Then place food straight from the pit/cooker into it. Then I cover with bath towels to delete excessive air space. Kinda like layering blankets on you in the winter time.That should work out just fine for you.

Sawdustguy
09-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Get yourself a Cambro.

http://cool.cambro.com/product_line.aspx?rrn=1&plrn=31

Pipin' Pig
09-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks all! I'll start with the cooler for this weekend, but I will check into the cambro option as well.