PDA

View Full Version : Spicewine Owner Survey

Slamdunkpro
08-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Fired The Beast up for seasoning today - First cook scheduled for this weekend and out of curiosity....

For the Spicewine types

Do you favor Lump or Briquettes?

Water / No Water?

Do you foil or do you find that the cooker retains enough moisture without it?

MilitantSquatter
08-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Briquettes
No water
Foil

BBQ_MAFIA
08-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I usually go with Briquettes ,Water, and Foil.

Although the last few Butt and Rib I did with out foil and they were the best that I ever cooked.

Let us know what you decide to go with.

ZBQ
08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Just to add to the survey since we are both Spice newbies.:-D

What do you do with the water pan if you don't use water? line it with foil? If so, how? Clean up?

I heard someone say they used floor dry to soak up the grease if I remember correctly. Not sure that I want to go that route.

I am thinking about not using water because on the seasoning run I had no problem maintaining temps with out water. No temp spikes. Steady as a rock.

MilitantSquatter
08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I line the water pan very well with two layers of aluminum foil and then place an aluminum pan on top of that.

Cleanup takes about 1 minute.

Slamdunkpro
08-28-2007, 09:16 PM
I usually go with Briquettes ,Water, and Foil.

Although the last few Butt and Rib I did with out foil and they were the best that I ever cooked.

Let us know what you decide to go with.

I think I'm going to do the first one one side with and one side without water.

I'm working on my charcoal basket(s) tomorrow:razz:

chinesebob
08-28-2007, 09:23 PM
briquettes to start only then 6 inch logs of maple, oak, and hickory. Sometimes the chunk. The logs burn hotter but they are free.
Water
50/50 foil.
Clean up is messy but I use engine degreaser and it's not that bad. Cleaning the grates is way more messy if you haven't seen my other posts.

Sledneck
08-28-2007, 09:44 PM
be careful i hear that the trays are made of 2 seperate pieces

Slamdunkpro
08-28-2007, 10:01 PM
be careful i hear that the trays are made of 2 seperate pieces

??:confused:

Sawdustguy
08-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Fired The Beast up for seasoning today - First cook scheduled for this weekend and out of curiosity....

For the Spicewine types

Do you favor Lump or Briquettes?

Water / No Water?

Do you foil or do you find that the cooker retains enough moisture without it?

Use briquettes, lump burns too hot and fast. If you use no water make sure you choke down on the air vents and stacks or you will find your cooker at 350*+ in no time. I would use water my first time out. You may be also interested in this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30682

Norcoredneck
08-29-2007, 02:45 AM
I light mine with no water, ramp up. Then slowly add water and temp stabilizes. I only use water pan @ 1/2 full.

Sawdustguy
08-29-2007, 08:14 AM
I light mine with no water, ramp up. Then slowly add water and temp stabilizes. I only use water pan @ 1/2 full.

That definetly works but caution must be taken when adding cold water to the hot steel. There is the possibility of developing a crack over time.

SteerCrazy
08-29-2007, 09:43 AM
I use 1/2 pan water and briquettes to start. Depending on my time and what I'm smoking will depend on if I use foil. I'll switch to lump midway through the cook when I add more water to get the temps to keep steady. I'll minion method the lump over the briquettes.

I really scrubbed down the spicewine good after my 4th cook on it and I tell ya what, it's quite a job to get her nice and clean. After my cooks if I don't get all the food off the grates it will get moldy in there. When not in use I keep the doors cracked and the stacks open for circulation, anyone have any other ideas other than scrubbing it down after each cook to prevent mold from building up??

BBQ_MAFIA
08-29-2007, 11:21 AM
[quote=SteerCrazy;452660] After my cooks if I don't get all the food off the grates it will get moldy in there. quote]

After cleaning, I store my grates out side of the cooking chamber.
Maybe it's crazy,or maybe I lucky, but I never have mold in my SW.
at least not as of yet.

Dale P
08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
I start with a small amount of water and it takes 40- 60 minutes to get it where I want. I have had good luck with lump or briquets too. Both work fine for me. It is the best smoker I have ever had.

spicewine
08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
I always use water. When I am done I drain the water pan and light another chimney to burn off any residual fats that are on the water pan. As for the racks, I just power wash them a day or two after the cook. After 3 years with this same cooker, I dont have any cleaning issues.

Trout_man22
08-30-2007, 09:16 AM
I always use water. When I am done I drain the water pan and light another chimney to burn off any residual fats that are on the water pan. As for the racks, I just power wash them a day or two after the cook. After 3 years with this same cooker, I dont have any cleaning issues.

But what would you know Jay, you only make each and every one of these fine cookers.

SteerCrazy
08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
[quote=SteerCrazy;452660] After my cooks if I don't get all the food off the grates it will get moldy in there. quote]

After cleaning, I store my grates out side of the cooking chamber.
Maybe it's crazy,or maybe I lucky, but I never have mold in my SW.
at least not as of yet.

great Idea BBQ Mafia, thanks brother!

Solidkick
08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Briquettes and chunks
Water in the water pan
Yes we foil @ around 165* internal meat temp

I am going to try a dry cook sometime....

lazyjacres
08-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Briquettes and chunks
Water in the water pan
Yes we foil @ around 165* internal meat temp

I am going to try a dry cook sometime....

Do you tenderize your brisket when you do that, or does it have a ill effect? :shock:

Solidkick
08-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Do you tenderize your brisket when you do that, or does it have a ill effect? :shock:

Yes and yes........fall apart tender....tastes like cardboard.....:oops:

I wil never NEVER do that again!! Especially at a contest!

BTW...your Pig is laughing at me.....just like I know you are!!:mrgreen: