PDA

View Full Version : Problem with them ribs.

Rub-A-Dub
08-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Hi! I just got a brinkmann smoke-n-pit pro and i'm having trouble with the ribs. I take the membrain off the back, rub, let set till rub looks wet, pit on smoker at 225 degrees and smoke for 1 hour, the rap them in apple juice for 2 hours, take them out and back in the smoker for another hour, sauce last 15 mins and I can't get that fall of the bone that I'm looking for. Going to a rib cookoff soon and need some help plz. Do not want to let my team mates and most of all look bad for my sponcers.. Can anyone pass on some brethren know how?

And how do sport the Brethren logo at the cookoff?

big brother smoke
08-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Not to be a smart arse but cook them longer:biggrin:

Also may try changing things up via practice. Foil after 2 hours etc. What type of ribs are you doing?

Rub-A-Dub
08-20-2007, 06:46 PM
spare ribs. I'm using the offset firebox on the smoker, would it be better to use the cooking chamber with coals on one side and meat on the other?

big brother smoke
08-20-2007, 07:00 PM
spare ribs. I'm using the offset firebox on the smoker, would it be better to use the cooking chamber with coals on one side and meat on the other?

Do not think that is your issue. Many make excellent ribs using the firebox attached to the chamber.

MilitantSquatter
08-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Big Brother is correct.. especially knowing you are using spareribs not BB's. 45 hrs ain't gonna cut it at 225. You need at least another 1-2 hours at 225. See the 3-2-1 method in the Roadmap to help get you going in the right direction and then adapt technique as you see fit.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818

Rub-A-Dub
08-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks big brother!!! I'm only going to have about 4 1/2 hours to cook the ribs for the cookoff. I was tring to pratice cooking in this time frame. Any help or thoughts would help alot.

MilitantSquatter
08-20-2007, 07:05 PM
If you've only got 4.5 hrs to cook. You've got to jack up the temps over 225 to get them fall of the bone level of doneness.

250-275 may be the answer here.

Rub-A-Dub
08-20-2007, 07:06 PM
thanks MilitantSquatter will look it up. Would cooking at 250 be a better cook temp fow what i'm tring to do?

LMAJ
08-20-2007, 07:37 PM
What comp you going to that only gives you 4.5 hours for ribs? I agree with the rest - if you can't cook them longer, you will need to up your temp - let us know how you make out. Good luck.

Rub-A-Dub
08-20-2007, 08:24 PM
It is the annual Holtville Athletic Asson. rib cookoff. They help all the atheltic programs in our area. This will be my first comp. They say u get the ribs at 5 a.m. but it is more like 5:30 a.m. and judging starts at 10 a.m. So it is more like 3 1/2 to 4 of cook time if I can get the ribs early.

LGerber
08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
I have the smoke n pit pro and I have found that the thermometer doesn't read correct on mine. I cooked a couple of times on mine at 225 and had terrible results. Now I cook closer to 275 to 280 and I get much better results. It may be just mine but its worth giving it a shot

jgh1204
08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Just FYI, in most bbq contests, fall off the bone is not what you are looking for. You want the meat to come off cleanly with a bite. Falling off the bone is usually a sign of being over done.

However, I do recommend going with whatever impresses the judges.

kcpellethead
08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
You've already gotten a lot of great advice here. I routinely cook my competition ribs in 4 hours and they're only foiled for an hour of that time. I cook a St. Louis cut spare rib. If you try this, be careful with the amount of smoke. A little goes a long way, especially with ribs. Try cooking them up around 265 - 275 grate temp. Be sure that's the temp at grate level.

Good luck with your contest! Get them as close to falling of the bone as possible. Without certified judges, folks will enjoy them that way!

Rub-A-Dub
08-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Thank you guys for all the help!!!!! This will also be the lanch of my catering business also. So for the judges serve bite off the bone. Should I serve the public fall off the bone or the same as the judges? Better yet I'll just serve them like I like them, tasting good with that o so special sauce!!!

leanza
08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Just FYI, in most bbq contests, fall off the bone is not what you are looking for. You want the meat to come off cleanly with a bite. Falling off the bone is usually a sign of being over done.

However, I do recommend going with whatever impresses the judges.

I don't know about comps, and judges, but fall off the bone is overdone to me and mine. :biggrin:

fil
08-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I hope you have time to do some more practice runs on cooking that quick. It can be done but you have to be on top of them when the temps are that high. Be sure and at least get a cheap oven thermometer to set on the grate to keep an eye on the temp.

fil

Rub-A-Dub
08-21-2007, 12:31 AM
I ahve about 3 months to get ready. At the same time I'm making a smoker out of two propane tanks. This will be my first smoker that I have built myself. How I can do the brethern proud!!!:)

Mo-Dave
08-21-2007, 08:32 AM
It is the annual Holtville Athletic Asson. rib cookoff. They help all the atheltic programs in our area. This will be my first comp. They say u get the ribs at 5 a.m. but it is more like 5:30 a.m. and judging starts at 10 a.m. So it is more like 3 1/2 to 4 of cook time if I can get the ribs early.

Make sure you have your pit up to your cooking temp well in advance to receiving the ribs. Have everything laid out so all you have to do is slap on the rub and toss them on the smoker. As mentioned either up the heat a little and or leave them in the foil a little bit longer.
Dave

Porky
08-21-2007, 09:19 AM
You can do us proud by just doing your best and learn from each time you cook. Keep a log of what you are cooking,type of prep, rub, temps & time cooked. This will go a long way in getting the product you want. Have fun and enjoy your Q'ing.

BBQ_MAFIA
08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
You got lots of good advise here.. so I'm just going to wish you good luck.

grillfella
08-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Thats what I try to tell people Leanza. They don't listen

Chris Nickelson
08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
not much time to marinate or let spices enter the meat.
You may need to experiment with different rubs, as well, so you get a
good flavor input in such a short time.

Puppyboy
08-21-2007, 12:31 PM
3 months to practice means 3 months of eating experimental ribs.

As for how to do it, looks like everything has already been covered.

Rub-A-Dub
08-21-2007, 04:12 PM
You guys are great!!!! Now about that LOGO :)

AlabamaGrillBillies
08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Here is a post where I had basically a two hour time frame to cook ribs in:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27926&highlight=quick+ribs

I can routinely cook at 300 degrees for 3 hours and have good, but not KCBS comp quality, ribs. One hour in the smoke at 300, 1hour in the foil with some apple juice and then one hour back in the smoke. Take the ribs out of the smoker, over the gas grill. Sauce and cook at low on the gas grill for 15minutes to set the sauce.

Rub-A-Dub
08-21-2007, 08:10 PM
thanks for the info. My concern is the high 300 degrees will this dry out the ribs?

fil
08-22-2007, 10:08 PM
When you foil add a cup or two of liquid ( I use apple juice ) and they shouldn't dry out. Make sure if you are going to cook at 300 you use a rub that has no sugars in it or the ribs may turn black from the sugars burning.

fil

crackerjack BBQ
08-22-2007, 11:19 PM
You can cook them easily in this amount of time. 2hrs smoke, 2hrs foil, twenty minutes glaze, 10 minutes to box. 250-275 temp. You're better to over cook the ribs than to undercook ribs. I think 1-2 cups of juice in your foiled ribs is a bit much.