PDA

View Full Version : Deep Fried Ribs?

swamprb
08-07-2007, 02:31 AM
I've been setting the DVR and been catching some Barbecue U, Americas Test Kitchen, Bourdain, Bizarre Foods etc. And saw this show Barbecue America
http://www.barbecueamerica.com/recipes.cfm with Rick Browne, he's kind of obnoxious and reminds me of Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes, but it's a Q Roadshow so I'll sit through it! Anyway this particular show focused on a place in Starkesville MS called "Little Dooeys" that is famous for Deep Fried Ribs.

Has anyone been there or tried them? Or seen the show? I guess he's from the PNW or it's produced here.

Brian

Napper
08-07-2007, 05:25 AM
Have not been there but it sounds good. (I am going to put it on my "to do" list)
Hell, you can eat acorns if they are deep fried!

I love BBQ but a pan fried pork chop is hard to beat!

paydabill
08-07-2007, 07:48 AM
I have had deep fried ribs at a resteraunt in southern Ky. I can not remeber the name for the life of me. They were real chew. Since you flash the meat, the outside was crusty, but the inside was pretty juicy. Wow that was a long time ago.

VGuilford
08-07-2007, 08:47 AM
I've been setting the DVR and been catching some Barbecue U, Americas Test Kitchen, Bourdain, Bizarre Foods etc. And saw this show Barbecue America
http://www.barbecueamerica.com/recipes.cfm with Rick Browne, he's kind of obnoxious and reminds me of Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes, but it's a Q Roadshow so I'll sit through it! Anyway this particular show focused on a place in Starkesville MS called "Little Dooeys" that is famous for Deep Fried Ribs.

Has anyone been there or tried them? Or seen the show? I guess he's from the PNW or it's produced here.

Brian
I watched that show on sunday to. That does look interesting.

timzcardz
08-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Are they batter dipped?

Markbb
08-07-2007, 08:57 AM
I've done deep fried ribs Babe back Paula Dean has a recipe for them and they're down right addictive kinda like ABTs really good:grin:

Young Gun
08-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I tried spare ribs and the didnt come out to well. I would do babby backs next time

swamprb
08-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Are they batter dipped?

They took a cooked slab and cut them up individually and and used a thin wash to coat, rolled in flour/seasonings and deep fried for @ a minute. Just to form a crust.

Brian

ga 'cuer
08-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Why try to improve on smoked-over-mesquite, slow-cooked, fall-off-the-bone, juicy, tickle-your-gut ribs by drowning them in oil?

ushi
08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
oh man, all this did was remind me of carnitas.
Now I'm at a dilemma as to what I should do with the butt in the fridge.

RevZiLLa
08-07-2007, 12:28 PM
oh man, all this did was remind me of carnitas.
Now I'm at a dilemma as to what I should do with the butt in the fridge.

I usually pull most of it and save a few nice juicy morsels for carnitas. If frozen, the carnitas chunks still work out great. Just heat em in the oven a bit and flash em with the broiler.

Don't forget the japs!

Countryhb
08-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Why try to improve on smoked-over-mesquite, slow-cooked, fall-off-the-bone, juicy, tickle-your-gut ribs by drowning them in oil?

Why ruin a good rack with nasty mesquite?

HB-BBQ
08-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I usually pull most of it and save a few nice juicy morsels for carnitas. If frozen, the carnitas chunks still work out great. Just heat em in the oven a bit and flash em with the broiler.

Don't forget the japs!

I know a local hole in the wall mexican resturant that has twice fried carnitas. Man talk about an incredible taste but it is not something you wanna eat often if you are worried about high cholesterol :-D

Countryhb
08-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I know a local hole in the wall mexican resturant that has twice fried carnitas. Man talk about an incredible taste but it is not something you wanna eat often if you are worried about high cholesterol :-D
Where??

HB-BBQ
08-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Where??
It is a tiny place in the Barrio off Newhope and 5th st in Santa Ana. I haven't been there for a year or so but it is called is Sariannas or something close to that. Their burritos are the best and biggest I have ever had and gotta weigh at least 2lbs. They dont habla english real well but I can get by with my broken spanish.

Countryhb
08-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Might have to make a little road trip from work for some...

BBQ_MAFIA
08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I have to ask.... What are carnitas?

Countryhb
08-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Pan fried shredded pork.

frognot
08-07-2007, 05:41 PM
We're too health conscious in Texas to eat something like that . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU

RevRuss
08-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Just finished with my Lion's Club International Youth Exchange and one young man from Austria said coming to South Carolina taught him everything could be fried. Thank God I'm a country boy!

Norcoredneck
08-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Found this a long time ago. Gonna try it someday. Also a member of Mista's Team 4Q.
http://www.bbqjunkie.com/bbq/carnitas/