PDA

View Full Version : Building my own

Browser
07-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi, just joined your excellent forum after looking for inspiration on the 'net, and finding it! I have laboured under the delusion for years, as most in England and apparrently Australia do, that our habit of turning perfectly good meat into cinders come summer is actually barbecueing. I wish to redress this by building a smoker and learning the secrets.:-D
I've 'obtained' two old propane cylinders, one about 5ft long the other about 2.5 ft, both 20" diameter, to use as the cooking chamber and firebox. I am also lucky enough to work somewhere where they threw out (yes threw out, idiots!) 10 perfectly good 900x600x3mm sheets of 304L stainless steel, as well as several lengths of thick-walled 1" square tube. Now, I only intend this to be for backyard use so it won't be built onto a trailer but it'll hopefully fit into my utility trailer which I use to lug all sorts of stuff about.
Anyway, I've already picked up some invaluable information about baffles and tuning plates. My thinking is to mount the firebox cylinder vertically and make it in such a way as it has a removable lid so I can use it as a chargriller if I want to (this may be subject to change). This will allow me to install a big enough stainless steel firebasket to provide sufficient heat for the cooker. Knowing what I've only recently learned I'll be adding a baffle and tuning plates, as well as a well-sealing air inlet on the firebox and an exhaust damper in the stack. The doors will have rope seals and temperature gauges.
I've looked at a schematic of the various layouts of smokers and wanted to ask opinions on standard flow (one end to t'other) versus reverse flow, since I'm in a position to make it either at this stage. Is one inherently better than the other or are they about the same?
Since I've got all this stainless kicking about I was thinking of adding an extra vertical smoke chamber in the exhaust path as I've seen some commercially-produced designs have, are these there for lower temperature smoking or just to maximise heat use and smoking capacity?
Sorry this i sa lot of questions but I want to try and get it right first time if I can:redface: :grin:

Westexbbq
07-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Browser,
Welcome to the forum, but check in at Cattle Call if you haven't already to introduce yourself officially.
There are a lot of nice folks here and many who are more knowledgeable than I about your pit building; I am sure you will get all the answers you need.
Good luck and keep up the good work.
W

Norcoredneck
07-30-2007, 09:26 PM
I have links at work i have collected about pit building. I will send them to you if you want. Let me know.

Captain Caveman
07-31-2007, 07:33 AM
As far as offsets go, I like reverse flow better personally. Also, grease management is important to make sure you don't have grease fires.

Harbormaster
07-31-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm with the Caveman here. I f I was building a pit from scratch I'd go reverse flow, and maybe reposition the firebox compared to "standard" offset configurations. Also, from what I have read here (recent post by Jacob) the additional vertical chamber runs about 100 degrees F cooler than the main chamber. I have a pit like this that I haven't cooked on yet and there is no thermo in that chamber, so I'll see how it goes when I do try it.
Let us know how and what you do.
Pics, pics, pics.

Browser
07-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the replies gents, I was kinda-sorta leaning the reverse flow way as it seems (from looking at it) to make sense from a retaining heat point of view. I think I will try and incorporate an exhaust smokebox, since I'm scratchbuilding, just to see what I can do with it:-D .

Bossmanbbq
07-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Welcome, sounds like you are living the dream with all that material available to you. Good luck with your build, remeber to post pic's for us so we can live the dream with you...

Bentley
07-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Welcome, and good luck, lot of fabricators here to give you advice...Now enough of that Metric stuff and don't thrown in any "Stones" either! Just kidding, I am like 24 stones sounds better than my scale!

Browser
08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Just thought I'd share a quick pic of the raw materials.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0002.jpg

And

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0003.jpg

Sorry that one's blurred. That, by the way, is a 600mm x 1000mmm sheet of 2.5mm thick 304l stainless steel, found, with 9 others, in a skip at work!:eek: Honetsly, the sheer waste of industry in this country makes me want to weep sometimes:mad: Ah well, if they hadn't binned it I wouldn't have it would I?:biggrin:
I've spotted another small gas cylinder on my travels which I may appropriate to make a second, exhaust-stack smoke chamber:-D

Bentley
08-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Just thought I'd share a quick pic of the raw materials.

And

Sorry that one's blurred. That, by the way, is a 600mm x 1000mmm sheet of 2.5mm thick 304l stainless steel, found, with 9 others, in a skip at work!:eek: Honetsly, the sheer waste of industry in this country makes me want to weep sometimes:mad: Ah well, if they hadn't binned it I wouldn't have it would I?:biggrin:
I've spotted another small gas cylinder on my travels which I may appropriate to make a second, exhaust-stack smoke chamber:-D

So these tanks had explosive gas in them? You are going to cut into them? Please be very careful, and if you have never done it get some help!

Browser
08-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Those tanks had flammable gas in them, which onyl makes it worse, I know. Please rest assured they'll be water/soap purged before any cutting takes place, and I'll probably cut with a power hacksaw to boot to minimise any chance of sparks. Thanks for the concern though.

CarbonToe
09-04-2007, 04:09 AM
I wish to redress this by building a smoker and learning the secrets.:-D

Browser, I'm interested in how your project goes, please post loads of piccies!!!

I have links at work i have collected about pit building. I will send them to you if you want. Let me know.

I don't suppose you could PM me those links as well? Thanks

Browser
09-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I've PM'd you with the links Norcoredneck sent me (thanks again Norco:-D ) but still can't make up my mind whether to go all out for an offset or build a UDS as I get the impresion UDSs can do a whole smoke on one load of charcoal whereas offsets need re-stoking about evry 4 hours. Plus which I can't see myself doing the kind of quantities you can fit in an offset so don't know whether I'll really need one that big. Are you thinking of building one?

LMAJ
09-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Welcome Browser - you definately belong here - you see stuff and wonder how it will fit into your smoker!
You have come to the right place for information. I have never met a better bunch to share information and provide feedback and support as those you will find here. Good luck in you build, and as others have said - keep the pics coming.

txschutte
09-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Good luck Browser! I have started another (yes, another) biuld for an offset with reverse flow. I, like you, get raw mat'l from the iron bins and scrap piles a work. I have started the current build with a 125 gal. water tank (about 300 liters) off an old cement mixer truck.

Browser
09-05-2007, 04:46 AM
For a second there I thought you were going to say you'd used the mixer drum off the cement truck:eek: (d'you think the rotation of the drum'd keep the heat more evenly spread during the cook?:wink: )

txschutte
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
For a second there I thought you were going to say you'd used the mixer drum off the cement truck:eek: (d'you think the rotation of the drum'd keep the heat more evenly spread during the cook?:wink: )
Don't laugh. Our comp cooker is 1/2 ton Ford pickup truck made to looke like a mixer truck. And the drum is where we cook! Although the drum doesn't turn, it has a electric motor that turns the rotisserie.

Pipin' Pig
09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Don't laugh. Our comp cooker is 1/2 ton Ford pickup truck made to looke like a mixer truck. And the drum is where we cook! Although the drum doesn't turn, it has a electric motor that turns the rotisserie.

Now that I would like to see. Can you post pictures?

txschutte
09-05-2007, 06:02 PM
You asked for it...

N8man
09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Impressive!!!! Bet you can smoke more than one or two shoulders and briskets
in that there!!!!

txschutte
09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Yep, Eats a helluva lot of bricks, too.

Sawdustguy
09-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Dang, now I think I've seen everything! Nice Job txschutte!

Pipin' Pig
09-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Amazing ... .just plain amazing. I assume that thing hanging off the end that looks to have fake wheels painting on it converts to a table or something?

txschutte
09-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Amazing ... .just plain amazing. I assume that thing hanging off the end that looks to have fake wheels painting on it converts to a table or something?
wheels come down to provide a track for the three fuel trays that slide out from the back. The cooker works similar to a reverse offset. but instead of having a firebox, the lower 2 foot of the cooker is the firebox.

tkuehn5410
09-06-2007, 06:48 PM
That is a pretty sweet cooker! I wish I woulda thought about something like that. Maybe I will need to make one out of an old schoolbus.

Browser
09-07-2007, 08:00 AM
One further question about construction materials. I'm probably gonna make my own grilles from expanded steel mesh, is it necessary for hygiene resons to make them from stainless mesh or can one use plain carbon steel and rely on the initial seasoning of the smoker to hygieneify it?

wnkt
09-07-2007, 12:28 PM
I cook on cast iron grates...so regular steel couldn't be much different.

River City Smokehouse
09-07-2007, 03:06 PM
I think that cement truck cooker is COOL!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/990.gif

txschutte
09-07-2007, 04:24 PM
One further question about construction materials. I'm probably gonna make my own grilles from expanded steel mesh, is it necessary for hygiene resons to make them from stainless mesh or can one use plain carbon steel and rely on the initial seasoning of the smoker to hygieneify it?
If your'e lucky enough to get stainless, go for it. I use reg. steel tho. Easier on the budget.

txschutte
09-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Browser, how do you plan to weld the stainless to carbon? You can TIG or even MIG with the right alloy wires, but they are spendy. Just asking.

Browser
09-10-2007, 10:48 AM
I was going to use dissimilar metal rods and arc weld, but I've obtained some free mild steel mesh so have changed my mind!

dbeast420
09-10-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't suppose you could PM me those links as well? Thanks

Same here. I'm looking for all the info I can before I start mine

Browser
09-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Links sent, via me, but courtesy of that brethren superstar Norcoredneck!:-D

Browser
09-11-2007, 02:34 AM
Right, I’ve ceased prevaricating, I’m going to build (drumroll please!!) an Ugly Drum Smoker!!:eusa_clap
Why? Well, having sat and worked it out all mafematick-like I realised that my 14” diameter propane cylinder would give me less grate area than a 2 grate UDS (a 22” grate gives roughly 380 sq in area), plus which If I wanted I could add an extension sleeve like several others have and get an additional grate for not much effort.
The real decider was being able to obtain a drum, flattened expanded mesh for grate and charcoal basket material, various bolts and an unused stainless fabrication for a lid from my workplace free of charge as they’re all in the scrap bin. Plus which I’ve already got a pair of pneumatically-tyred wheels and several lengths of 1” square and 2” x 1” rectangular-section tube at home, also rescued from the works scrap bin, which I can use to make a wheeled stand/trolley. About the only thing I’ll have to shell out for, aside from charcoal and meat of course, is the thermometers, so the whole project should only cost me about £23.00 for a remote probe thermo!:mrgreen:
On the subject of thermometers, to measure the drum internal temperature can I use a standard steel-probe-type meat thermometer set in an insulator through the wall of the drum or do I need to use a remote probe unit? Is it advisable/necessary to keep a remote probe thermo in whatever piece of meat I’m barbecueing all the time it’s in the smoker, or just check now and then?

Browser
09-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Another quick question, is it worth me insulating the outside of the drum to retain heat/cut fuel usage? Since most of the time it seems to be cold in the UK it'd be an advantage to have it retain as much heat as possible, as well as calming Mrs Browsers fears that the kids'll stray too close and burn 'emselves on it.
Having had a look round the 'net I came accross Solarguard Foil Insulation (http://greenplanetinsulation.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=92&P_ID=406) which, for a 48" width is only £4.81 per metre length (don't you just love our ability to mix dimension standards in this country:rolleyes: :-D ) so it'd only add about a tenner to the overall cost and if it saves fuel/makes temp control simpler it has to be worth doing.

Norcoredneck
09-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Another quick question, is it worth me insulating the outside of the drum to retain heat/cut fuel usage? Since most of the time it seems to be cold in the UK it'd be an advantage to have it retain as much heat as possible, as well as calming Mrs Browsers fears that the kids'll stray too close and burn 'emselves on it.
Having had a look round the 'net I came accross Solarguard Foil Insulation (http://greenplanetinsulation.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=92&P_ID=406) which, for a 48" width is only £4.81 per metre length (don't you just love our ability to mix dimension standards in this country:rolleyes: :-D ) so it'd only add about a tenner to the overall cost and if it saves fuel/makes temp control simpler it has to be worth doing.
I first started using my drum in December and also thought about insulating mine. Of course So Cal soes not get exactly cold. I was going to use a blanket for a hot water heater. They sell a aluminum looking one around here. I ended up not buying it. The only problem I had with mine is with the wind. I started using the clamp band to better seal the lid. I tacked a set of vice grip pliers to it instead of threading thr bolt each time. Do you have weber kettlet or imitations there?
http://www.radiantguard.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=45

Browser
09-11-2007, 03:59 AM
Yep, we have the Weber Kettle, as well as several imitations. I've tried getting a free one i.e. putting an ad on Freecycle for an old one, but to no avail I'm afraid. I have an item lined up at work to use as a lid and it's weight'll help seal it. If I get any major lid seal problems I'll raid an old oven for it's door seal and put that on. Having investigated the lagging/cladding option it'll only cost me about £10 so I figure I might as well do it as not. I'll get some pics tomorrow night of the raw materials and get 'em posted.

Browser
09-13-2007, 01:13 AM
UDS build has commenced. I collected the two major parts tonight and started into 'em.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/IMGP0677.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/IMGP0678.jpg

The stainless Chinaman's hat I've obtained to make the lid with was made in error for the exhaust pipe of an emergency diesel generator and never used, so I asked an I got. I've cut the four legs off and the lower cone out, leaving a 1" lip all the way round, and wouldn't you know it fits nicely inside the edge of the drum:-D All it needs is some 'tuning' to get it to seal properly and we're in business. Opened up the drum after flushing with solvent cleaner. Ill hopefully wipe it out tonight then clean with some water-soluble degreaser, then have a go at burning it out. Also got the mesh for the grates as I don't seem to be able to blag a free Weber like some people on here:razz: :wink: and will cut the propane cylinder ready to make the ash catcher/grate.

N8man
09-13-2007, 04:21 AM
That is a most unique drum lid you got there....Outstanding!!! Weld some fins on the bottom of your drum and it will look like a large firework!!!Lol:lol::biggrin::wink:
Keep us posted on your progress....

Norcoredneck
09-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Jihad killer ! Loaded with pork :biggrin: .

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/norcoredneck/rocket.jpg

Brian in So Cal is going to be jealous.

Mark
09-14-2007, 02:56 PM
I first started using my drum in December and also thought about insulating mine. Of course So Cal soes not get exactly cold. I was going to use a blanket for a hot water heater. They sell a aluminum looking one around here. I ended up not buying it. The only problem I had with mine is with the wind. I started using the clamp band to better seal the lid. I tacked a set of vice grip pliers to it instead of threading thr bolt each time. Do you have weber kettlet or imitations there?
http://www.radiantguard.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=45

I've been pondering the lid seal too. Red silicone is good to 600 deg. F but probably not ideal if its a large gap. I happen to have about 50 pounds of fiberglass rope remnants. I plan to put down a bead of red silicone and then stick some fiberglass rope on it. If it don't work. I'll just peel it off and try something else; or not even worry about it.

Browser
09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Tried the lid on last night, will look summat like this:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/IMGP0765.jpg

Just imagine the drum stripped and painted, probably black, and raised off the ground on it's custom dolly8-)

txschutte
09-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Me thinks you need a fake fuse on it. ( Freak out the snotty neighbors mod:twisted: )

Browser
09-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Quick update on 'progress', I'm still assembling my kit of parts but will soon commence construction. Double-time at work is nice but when it only gives you one-and-a-half days off between shift sets it's a royal pain in the jacksie:mad:
Anhow, managed to source some grilles finally. I was balking at the cost of Weber ones as they're £18.99 each new and this kindas punched a hole in the whole 'build it fer next to nowt' ethic that is core to the UDS ethos, but managed to buy some from a company called Rectella International (http://barbequick.net/store/) who sell Bar-Be-Quick grills and smokers. Their 22 inch kettle looks like a Weber knock off, but the food grilles are only £5.87 each posted so I got two quick! More of a pain in the posterior was trying to get summat suitably robust to make the firegrate out of. I'd settled on 12mm mild steel bar to cut into various lengths to make a circular grate from, but 12 metres only cost £9.00, and the steel stockholders minimum order is £20. Not even the offer of cash in hand, off the books could sway it, so I had another look round work. Came across several 3 metre lengths of inch OD by about 4mm wall boiler tube, sat rusting gently outside of one of our outside storerooms. Asked and was told "if it's outside, take it!" so I'm gonna. Tomorrow night's task at work'll be to cut the various lengths of pipe and if time permits weld them into a grate. If I get time Saturday night I'll carry on removing the lip at the top of the drum which was left when I cut the lid off with a nibbler. I've also 'obtained' some stainless 10mm bolts for the food grille supports. They're a bit OTT for the job but they were all my 'supplier' had on the shelf that were long enough:-D .
After that, all I'll need to do is get the lid deburred, cut and fit the vent in said lid and polish the whole thing, get the charcoal ring rolled by a local fabricator, weld the ash pan on, make the frame, fit the wheels, make the handle brackets and handles and paint the whole thing, not much really:eek: :-D

Mark
09-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Masterbuilt also makes a Weber clone and I called for a replacement grate: $9.95 (before shipping)

From amazon.com
Weber 72801 Replacement Charcoal Grate: $9.99
Weber 70915 Replacement Hinged Cooking Grate:$16.99
+ free shipping for orders >$25

Mark
09-27-2007, 01:20 PM
PS: As for insulating, it depends.

1. Do you have to pay for fuel? I use all wood that's free.

2. Will the UDS be under cover? Rockwool batts are relatively inexpensive/fireproof but they loose nearly all of their insulation if wet.

Mark
09-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Me thinks you need a fake fuse on it. ( Freak out the snotty neighbors mod:twisted: )

Probably not a good idea. SWAT mod.

txschutte
09-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Probably not a good idea. SWAT mod.
It's OK. SWAT got no guns over there.............Do they?

Browser
09-28-2007, 12:17 PM
If it was gun shaped they'd probably sling me in Parkhurst for an indefinite stretch!:eek:
Being as it's going to look like something we'd hurl skywards on November the 5th (and I'm not planning to walk through the streets of Crowland with it) I should be OK. Plus, I like the idea of fins and a fuse, gives it a bit of a Wallace And Gromit's Grand Day Out look.:biggrin:
p.s. yeah, UK police have what they call ARS, Armed Response Squads, toting single-shot H&K MP5's and (I think) either Glock or Sig Sauer pistols.

BRTLATJGT
10-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Just joined the forum looking for advice on building my own pit. Would it be possible to get pit building info emailed to me as well?

Thanks in advance

[email protected]

Norcoredneck
10-07-2007, 11:40 AM
What type pit/advise were you looking for?

BRTLATJGT
10-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I've got some 24" 1/2thick pipe. Some of the pits I've seen that I would like to duplicate have a main chamber 1 or 2 doors about 4 ft long w/ an upright smoke box about 2 x 2 x 40 approx. with firebox. Curious as to how far to put the tuning plates under the main grill. But any better suggestions welcome. Thanks

Browser
12-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Time for an update (jeez this is taking a long time to build:redface:)
Grate & charcoal ring are finished, lid air vent will be after work tonight (I get lots of free time on night shifts). To be truthful, the vent has been a pain in the posterior, for reasons which will become clearer when I post some pics, but it's there for pose value only and I like seeing how well I can fabricate things (not very it turns out:icon_blush::-D). I also hope to get the lid handle brackets made tonight, after which I can swap the filler wire in my MIG back to mild steel and start welding up the ash collector and trolley which the drum will be moved about on, hopefully should be quite quick to build. Anyway, here's the grate. It's made out of 37mm OD boiler tube, about 2mm wall, heavy as hell but easy to arc weld and should last a while. Why heavy boiler tube? It was free, that's why!:-P

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/Grate.jpg

N8man
12-05-2007, 07:37 AM
When you build something you don't mess around...Goodness that's
a Mighty Manly Cooking Grate you got going there!!!!!!

Browser
12-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Need must N8man, as I said, 37mm boiler tube was all I could find lying around for free, and UDS's are supposed to be as low cost as possible, and over here we can't just blag free Weber kettles to butcher for parts when we want:wink:
It weighs a ton but shouldn't rust through in five minutes.

Norcoredneck
12-05-2007, 05:48 PM
It weighs a ton but shouldn't rust through in five Centuries.
:biggrin:

Browser
12-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Who's counting?:-P

wlh3
12-05-2007, 07:35 PM
What ever you do don't hurt your back lifting the grate out of the drum:biggrin: That is built chit howdy stout mod:eek:

Browser
12-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Have now finished the lid's air vent and handles, just need to varnish said handles and weld their respective brackets onto the lid. Might weld on a hanging hook to the lid so's I can dangle it off the drum a-la Weber kettle. Made a bottle opener out of stainless by tracing the shape of the inside of my mates keyring bottle opener onto 3mm stainless then drilling and filing the shape out. I've bent it to it's approximate finished shape, just need to check it works OK then weld it up. Pics will follow very soon!

Dr_KY
01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Come on Browser we need updates and pictures, pictures, PICTURES.

:biggrin:

Browser
01-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Sorreeee *hangs head in shame mod*:redface:

Every bleedin' time I get close to the garage to do any work on it summat else crops up (like Christmas, or work, or my daughters birthday) and nabs all of my time. I WILL, however, be spending one full day next week out in the garage which, with luck and a following wind, might see the thing finished. A lot of the outstanding stuff is welding (handle brackets onto lid, ash catcher onto bottom, air inlet pipes together, trolley frame together etc) then it'll be done. Then all I'll have to do is bring it to work for a paint removal burn, paint the exterior and give it a conditioning burn then start smokin'
See you in about six months then:biggrin:

Dr_KY
01-04-2008, 09:59 AM
I think you ment to say..''see you this same time NEXT weeked.''

lol

Did you get any snow yesterday? We didn't any at all over here.

Barbarian
01-04-2008, 10:57 AM
good to see a couple guys in England wanting to Smoke. I get over that way every couple of years for croquet but never seen any Q there.

Browser
01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I think you ment to say..''see you this same time NEXT weeked.''

Ah, yes of course I did!:wink: Silly me, forgetting that (sheesh):biggrin:

Did you get any snow yesterday? We didn't any at all over here.

Did we 'eck as like! It never snows when the weathermen say it will, then catches us unawares, drops an inch of powder and the whole blummin' country grinds to a halt:icon_blush: We get very little anyway on the East coast, and I'm in one of the driest areas in the country., Still 'n all, makes for more weather to Q in:-D

jestridge
01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Browser if you need any hints on welding drop me an email. I teach welding. Also today I hit a gold mine , we didnt have school today so my friend and I visit a scrape yard they give us 4 air tank that came off rail cars 21' in D the longest is 70 " the other 3 are around 38' 1/4" thick. These will make great welding projects.

Dr_KY
01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Those would be bigger than the average garden here. lol

jestridge
01-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Not rail car air storage tank for a rail car LOL

Dr_KY
01-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Same differance.lol

Browser
01-05-2008, 02:18 AM
Well, I've finally taken some piccies, not terribly interesting I'm afraid but they show some sort of progress:redface:

Finished the lid

That blummin airvent took longer than it had any right to, but I didn't want to shell out for a gate valve and unlike some people:-P we impoverished English folk can't score free Weber kettles to cannibalise for parts:wink: Here's a closer look at it.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0004.jpg

Put the fifth (I think) coat of PU varnish on the lid handles, I WILL get the brackets welded on this week so that will be the lid done. See if you can pick out the handles amongst the clutter of crap on my workbench:icon_blush:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0005-1.jpg

Finally, here's the ash catcher. The bowl is the bottom of an old gas cylinder cut off, the conical part is a flat piece of mild steel cut & bent into a cone. I'll go into more detail about this when it's welded to the bottom of the drum.

Dr_KY
01-05-2008, 02:55 AM
Man that lid is ob original bad a**! http://i3.tinypic.com/80ynati.gif Are you going to paint the tip or leave it clean?

Browser
01-05-2008, 03:08 AM
Unpainted, definitely. Can't se the point of scoring a ready-made stainless cone like that and then painting the thing! I am going to buy some more stainless polishing mops and will try to give it a more even satin finish.

Dr_KY
01-05-2008, 03:17 AM
That's a relief I thought I was going to have to talk you out of slapping on the paint. lol Yesterday at work I was cleaning inside a seperator and laughtd to myself when I saw the chinamans hat in there.
Whats the inside of the hat... lid look like?

Great progress there Browser.

Browser
01-05-2008, 03:19 AM
Kinda boring, I'll take a pic later and post it.

Browser
01-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Update of the latest work done. Finally got the ash chute stuck together, cut the bottom off the drum and welded said ash chute on:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0002-4.jpg

Cutting the drum. And before anyone else says it, yes, there is no air hose on that nibbler, I'd taken it off for a second:-D

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0004-2.jpg

The chute in position and being tacked on. Due to the metal being thin and a lack of overlap in places leading to a couple of burn-throughs, I used the tack-around-the-edge-'til-all-the-tacks-join-up method.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0008.jpg

Fitting the first air intake pipe, in through the side of the ashu chute, below where the fire grate will sit. This was some thinwalled 1.5" dia steel handrail left over from a job at work and rescued from the skip by me. It is only galvaniswed on the outside for some strange reason, suits me though as I can utillise it for this job:-D It wasn't welded in here, I was just trying it for hole fit. The idea with thaving the air intakes below the fire grate is taken from several open fire grates and wood burning stoves I've seen which use the same air intake method, so if it works for them........:wink:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0009.jpg

Trial fit of the ash pan. Those tabs sticking out will eventually be bent over to form a sort of bayonet coupling to hold the ash pan on (pics will follow). I need to 're-shape'the mating flanges a little as they aren't air-tight at present, but they will be after mr copper/hide hammer's had a word with them:mrgreen:
This has been the biggest 'wheel re-invention' part of my UDS build, my advice is either don't bother with an ash pan or if you must have one, get one of those Weber copies from Sears and cannibalise it for parts.

Next step will be to finish fitting the air inlet pipe to it's hole properly then weld it in, fit the other pipe opposite this one, make the trolley and weld it on to the drum, drill holes for & fit the grate supports, drill holes for temp probes then burn out the drum to remove crud & paint. Easy when you say it quickly:icon_smil

Dr_KY
01-12-2008, 04:39 AM
Glad to see you kept your appointment. lol

Question - Are you hand building to trolly?

Browser
01-12-2008, 05:04 AM
Question - Are you hand building to trolly?

Yuurs, I don't have one handy to adapt/butcher, but I do have several lengths of round, square & rectangular steel tube rescued at various times from the works' scrap metal skip, so they will be utillised. I'll probably use the round tube as it's been sat in my store the longest and it's in the best lengths for this job. I scored some nice 8" pneumatic-tyred wheels, again from the works' skip, which I'm gonna use as I can see myself having to wheel the UDS to the furthest reaches of the garden to avoid smoking out the neighbours and castors just wouldn't hack crossing my lawn:redface:.
Forgot to say before, I proved my own theory right about not going into tool shops unless I have something specific to buy as I have no will power at all. I had to go to BOC for a new argoshield cylinder yesterday and spotted a 4.5" hook-and-loop backing pad and it's associated abrasive discs, both designed for polishing stainless steel, on a display stand, so I had to buy one and two pads for lid polishing. Will get this done at the end of the job.

Dr_KY
01-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Hell I could use the new toy on my stainles lid. Flat and booring but it was free too. I'm waiting on a two inch by say seven inch stainless threaded pipe to it the skip to go with this ball valve. lol

I figure the trolly for yours should take a que from dart flights. Yes I was i the pub yestersay:)

Browser
01-12-2008, 05:27 AM
You can be sure I'll post pics when it's under way!

Dr_KY
01-12-2008, 05:40 AM
lol I must be close.lol

Mark
01-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Browser:

Your lid reminds of of Madonna's left tit; or maybe her right. I'm not sure.

Browser
01-14-2008, 10:09 AM
HAve her tits got handle's on them then?:biggrin:

tony76248
01-14-2008, 10:23 AM
This simple drum cooker is looking rather extensive.

Mark
01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
HAve her tits got handle's on them then?:biggrin:

Stirrups might be a useful accessory.

Browser
01-14-2008, 02:10 PM
This simple drum cooker is looking rather extensive.

A conclusion already reached by me Tony:redface: The trouble with me is I'm crap at abiding by the guiding principle for engineers, known as the KISS or 'Keep It Simple, Stupid!' principle. The idea is, when you start to over-complicate any job, repeat the principle to yourself and rethink what you're going to do. Unfortunately, I haven't always been abiding by that:biggrin:
My excuses are that

I haven't a hope in hell of scoring a free Weber kettle to nick the lid off.
I couldn't get a drum with a removable lid.
I could have made a far simpler air vent in the lid but I was 'challenging' myself (read: showing off :icon_blush:)
I saw Norcoredneck's drum with the built-in ash catcher and thought 'I'll have some o' that', only i had to make it from scratch.
I couldn't get any free/very cheap 1" black iron pipe or gate valves, so I used some pipe laying around at work for the air inlets, which needed cutting/welding etc.
I'm building a trolley for it as I have the materials to hand free and I'm a lazy swine who wants to be able to move this thing around easily.I'll hopefully get the trolley parts cut tonight ( I do like night shifts:grin:) and weld that up this week. I'm on the home stretch now and can smell the brisket:wink:

Dr_KY
01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
You missed this..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36111&highlight=browser

Oh and I just scored a 2'' ball valve but I think it's too heavy.lol

Browser
01-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Bugger!!:|

Dr_KY
01-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Still 4 available. Send me the lid, you don't need it. lol

jestridge
01-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Junk yard is where all my smokers come from.

Browser
01-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Bit more progress. Trolley is now fully tack-welded up, awaiting full welding later this week when I'm off shift. Did the burn-out tonight, pile of timber sticking out of the top, just as brethren experience and the unofficial UDS manual prescribes:-D I'll get the paint on just as soon as and Scotch-Brite the inside to get rid of all of the ash/smoke. Then it should just be a case of welding on fixing tabs, painting the trolley and bolting the drum to the trolley, then it'll be a seasoning burn in my back garden (which will probably seriouslyannoy the neighbours but hey, what's new:rolleyes:).
Some pics:

Trial fitting the trolley on the upturned drum.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0001-2.jpg

Close-up of one of the air inlets with it's cover on.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0002-6.jpg

The grate and charcoal ring in place inside the drum.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0004-3.jpg

Dr_KY
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Looking good B .Are you having trouble finding charcoal or wood ?

Norcoredneck
01-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Gonna need a tug to tow that thing around. :biggrin:

Bbq Bubba
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Gonna need a tug to tow that thing around. :biggrin:

Holy $hit!!!
Did i see a tow hitch on that "Trolley"?? :wink:

Phrasty
01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
DAMN cool chit! my kinda guy!! Keep on weldin on!!! damn i need to learn how to weld!

Cheers

Browser
01-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Looking good B .Are you having trouble finding charcoal or wood ?

No I'm quite lucky in that respect. We've a small perimiter of trees at work, some of which are dying off so I can get fuel timber from ther, plus we've got several quite mature cherry and oak trees to get smoking timber from. I bought a job lot of charcoal briquettes from Homebase last year as they were selling them cheap in autumn, although I won't bother again as they stick to high heaven, both when lighting and lit:icon_smil

I don't need a tow hitch, I deliberately used lightweight steel tube so it would be easy to move. Plus which, if I'd built it the same as most UDS's, i.e with simple grab handles on the side, I'dve sprung my back in no time due to the weight of that damn fire grate:redface:

Mark
01-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't think you will have to worry about it blowing over in the wind.

redy2smoke
01-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm impressed,waiting to see if lid design enhances cooking and temps + or - ..

Browser
02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
It's 99.999999% done!!!!!!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0006-3.jpg

I've still to re-profile the flange the ash pan sits against at the bottom as I used too thin a sheet of metal and it warped a lot when I welded it on. Once bent up to form a cone and with a bead of heat-resistant silicone
sealer on it it should be OK. I will apply the silicone to one flange and let it set, so it acts as a sort of stuck-on seal so I can remove/replace the ash pan (that's the theory anyway:-D)
Here's the interior of the drum, cleaned and oiled and waiting to be seasoned.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0003-2.jpg

The two grills in place.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0004-4.jpg

And the essential brethren mod!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0007-1.jpg

I've polished the lid since these piccies, not perfect but it wouldn't be any good if it was:cool:

All I need to do is the sealing of the ash pan as mentioned above, weld two lid hooks on inside the lid so I can hang it off the side of the drum when loading/unloading as per Weber lids and season it. The final addition, when I get time/the ability to use the garage with power tools and not disturb anyone, will be to make the fold-down side table to sit the temp probes, utensils & meat plates on. Next stop, seasoning burn:biggrin:

CharlieBeasley
02-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Nice the hat looks Asian? Good looking cooker

Professor Salt
02-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Good job, man!

Looks like the Tin Man - "if I only had a brain..."

N8man
02-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Shoot Yeah!!!!! We all want to see that Drum Smoking!!!!
What are you going to Smoke on it first?

Browser
02-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Looks like the Tin Man - "if I only had a brain..."

Him and me both!!:redface:

Browser
02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Shoot Yeah!!!!! We all want to see that Drum Smoking!!!!
What are you going to Smoke on it first?

I want to see the flamin' thing smokin' as well, the amount of time I've spent on it:-D

What will I do first? I dunno. probably some of the cheap chicken legs & wings I picked up at Sainsburys on Saturday. I've got a (small, rolled-up-and-tied-with-twine UK-sized) brisket sat in the freezer which I've been saving, after which, I'll have to go shopping. I've got some buckboard bacon cure and jerky seasoning waiting in the pantry so I won't get bored:cool:

Dr_KY
02-04-2008, 06:27 PM
When are you delivering it to me? Looks great man now lets get smokin!

I ordered a digital thermo and a temp gauge from eBay, did you find yours locally?

Norcoredneck
02-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Looks great, and to think you made that using the Metric system :eek::biggrin:.
Nothing like fatty grease to break in a new drum.

Browser
02-13-2008, 05:19 AM
When are you delivering it to me? Looks great man now lets get smokin!

I ordered a digital thermo and a temp gauge from eBay, did you find yours locally?

Sorry KY, only just seen this post. I ordered my Nu-Temps remote probe jobbies from the US following a recomendation from CarbonToe and their service was excellent.:-D

Delivering it to you? You must be jokin' pal!:-P

Dr_KY
02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
He!! I had to try lol I ordered mine off e-bay from and was sent from Ohio. I use my son as the remote temp monitor when I'm at the pub.

h20loo
02-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Awesome thread!!!
Two comments- I'm surprised you didn't use a roll of 13mm steel instead of the barrel and the tow hitch idea is ridiculous- that would definitely be a fifth wheel unit!!!
Thanks for sharing but its time for the money shots.

CarbonToe
02-14-2008, 07:37 AM
I thought I'd seen your design before.......

http://www.bestmusiconcampus.com/_media/PA/DrexelUniversity/TynManProductions/image/pic07tinman.jpg

Browser
02-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Arf!!:biggrin:

As long as my UDS doesn't end up screaming "I'm melllltinggg!" first time I fire it up:eek::biggrin:

Dr_KY
03-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Alright man I have started a full sized UDS so please don't let me finish and start cooking before you or you will never live it down. :twisted:

Browser
03-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Finally got a day where the wind was blowing away from the stick-in-their-collective-hole neighbours house so I dumped about 3/4 of a bag of briqs in the basket and lit about 3/4 of a chimney of briqs, which went in 15 mins later.
Only then did I discover that the Nu-Temps remote sensor I was using was duff, so I had to swap, by which time the drum was at 310f and rising.
Shut the air inlets half way, no change. Shut them nearly all the way, temps feel a little. Closed them completely, temps fell to around 270f and stayed there. Started looking and discovered the fantastical Buck-Rogers lookign lid is far from a concentric cone, so was not sealing properly!:mad:
I've closed the exhaust and will wait to see if it actually goes out or just sits there. Due to the paucity of free Webers to canibalise to do the rim and lid mod I'm gonna take the lid to work and try and see if I can get it more concentric by fitting it to a full drum. If this doesn't work I may have to look at getting a second-hand Weber off Ebay and butchering it:frown:
Either way,not very satisfactory, apart from the drum now having a nice, seasoned coating of cooked-on veg oil inside it:|

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/Maidensmoke2.jpg

DR_KY, does this count as me having stayed ahead of you or not?:biggrin:

N8man
03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
TopNotch!!!!! That is Sharp!!!! Perhaps you could use some stove gasket to help seal the Lid?

Dr_KY
03-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Check out the Union Jack!