PDA

View Full Version : Probe Wires

itschris
07-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Currently I have 3 probes which I route through the drain hole in my Brink Cimarron. The problem is, they're a bit short and moving things around becomes a problem.

Can I just route them through the door or will that be releasing too much heat?

Or should I drill a small hole for the route the probe wire in the middle front of the smoker? If so, I'm assuming it should be below the grate somewhere. And is it okay to have just hole in the smoker? It seems the fairly large diameter drain hole doesn't impede anything - maybe becauses it's on very bottom?

VGuilford
07-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Mine get closed under the lid.

tonto1117
07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Currently I have 3 probes which I route through the drain hole in my Brink Cimarron. The problem is, they're a bit short and moving things around becomes a problem.

Can I just route them through the door or will that be releasing too much heat?

Or should I drill a small hole for the route the probe wire in the middle front of the smoker? If so, I'm assuming it should be below the grate somewhere. And is it okay to have just hole in the smoker? It seems the fairly large diameter drain hole doesn't impede anything - maybe becauses it's on very bottom?

Don't know what kind of thermo you have but the ET probes come in a 6 foot lentgh now.

backyardchef
07-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Don't know what kind of thermo you have but the ET probes come in a 6 foot lentgh now.

Then you should be able to run them down the stack and not drill any holes or worry about pinching them in the door or letting heat out.....

Harbormaster
07-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Chris, I run the leads right out the bottom of the door of my Cimarron. little, if any, smoke and heat loss.

KC_Bobby
07-30-2007, 04:27 PM
When I had an offset I slightly grinded down an area for my probe wires to sit in. It helped the door close a little better and also rounded the edges so pinching the wires was a little less of a concern. But the wires always came out of this spot when I opened the door, so before closing each time I would have to hold them in the area I grinded out.

itschris
07-30-2007, 05:03 PM
I've got the Mavericks. Running them down the stack leaves them dangling. They're okay going through the drain hole except when I have to move stuff around... they have a tendancy to get hung up and criss-crossed.

I'll run them under the door and see what happens, but maybe just a small notch like KC suggested may be the trick.

Thanks guys.