PDA

View Full Version : Veal Ribs?

MAsQue
07-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Last weekend I bought 2 breasts of veal (about $1.00/lb), which I boned, stuffed and rolled, then rubbed and cooked at about 250* for 6 hours while I had some ribs in. Made the stuffing out of ground pork, seasoned as for sausage and mixed with spinach for some color, then mixed with chunks of chorizo, andouille, mortadella and kielbasa. Sliced and served with lyonnaisse sauce they came out very colorful and pretty damn tasty. Definitely a repeat recipe. (don't own a digital camera - sorry, no pics. Anyone has any advice on an affordable digital camera that will allow me to use the lenses from my Canon A-1, I'd love to hear it.)

Anyway, finally getting to the point of all this: I tossed the ribs I cut off the breasts into the freezer. Normally, I'd put them into the stockpot the next time I made stock for sauce, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried cooking veal ribs for their own sake and if you did, how'd you do it?

CarbonToe
07-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Steve Raichlen has a recipe in his Ribs, Ribs, outrageous Ribs book. He says they are delicate and he serves them with a sweet and sour BBQ sauce.

He rubs them with Garlic, Pepper and Thyme and pops them in the fridge in a ZipLok, and when it comes time to cook it grills them indirectly for 1.5 hours saucing them after 30mins and then ever 15min until cooked.

qman
07-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Steve Raichlen has a recipe in his Ribs, Ribs, outrageous Ribs book. He says they are delicate and he serves them with a sweet and sour BBQ sauce.

He rubs them with Garlic, Pepper and Thyme and pops them in the fridge in a ZipLok, and when it comes time to cook it grills them indirectly for 1.5 hours saucing them after 30mins and then ever 15min until cooked.

Sounds like that would work. My way is to throw the whole breast of veal, untrimmed, into the cooker, same as I would a rack of spare-ribs. Use a basic rub, cook at about 250 till done, Glaze with a KC type sauce-with a little honey and butter added.
The lamb breasts vary greatly in size-for me they will take from 3 to 5 hours to cook. I do not foil normally.