PDA

View Full Version : Do PID Controllers store data and "learn" over time to regulate temp?

RemoGaggi
05-26-2021, 07:48 AM
I saw online that there's one pellet grill company that is saying their PID controller requires a few cooks to gather data in order to adjust its algorithm in order to regulate the temperature better.

This didn't sound quite right to me, so I figure I'll ask the experts here.

Is this true that PID's store data, make adjustments to its algorithm, and get more accurate over time?

SirPorkaLot
05-26-2021, 07:53 AM
Is this true that PID's store data, make adjustments to its algorithm, and get more accurate over time?

Actually, yes they do.

It’s all in the name.

PID = Proportional Integral Derivative - controller

In short, it means there is constantly mathematics being performed in the background to increase/maintain the accuracy of the controller.

It is a very common device used in Industrial controls.

More reading:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

dward51
05-26-2021, 06:46 PM
I think it depends on the software in the controller. A lot of PID units (general PID units) have a learn function where it "learns" the process being controlled and how it responds. They continue to refine that as time passes. But again it would depend on the controller software setup if a specific controller does this or not.

-Chris-
05-27-2021, 06:25 AM
I think it depends on the software in the controller. A lot of PID units (general PID units) have a learn function where it "learns" the process being controlled and how it responds. They continue to refine that as time passes. But again it would depend on the controller software setup if a specific controller does this or not.

I have built a few electric breweries and that is correct, the PID has a "learn" mode that tests the rate of change to calibrate the system response. You certainly could not use that function while brewing beer as it overshoots/undershoots the temp while learning. I am going to call BS on a PID doing continuous "machine learning." PID is an equation and during calibration, you are adjusting the coefficients of that equation. You should not have to do that more than once in a closed system.

I would like to read more though, what pellet grill is it?

Chris