PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Ring Issues (pics)

zachg18
05-04-2021, 02:41 PM
Just smoked these ribs the other day. Took about 6 hours (i was expecting longer honestly).

As you can see, the smoke ring is almost non-existent, which to my understanding means the smoke did not penetrate the meat that much, right?

I get the same smoke ring with brisket too...it's VERY faint.

I am using a WSM, charcoal and Oak chunks. I place the chunks under the charcoal like Harry Soo does. Get a really nice clean smoke (can't even see it really).

What can I do to get more of a smoke ring? I mean what else is there to do but get your smoker going and throw the meat on haha?

Thanks for any help!

Callahan-que
05-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Well I got to tell you those ribs look really good to me despite the smoke ring. They look tender and juicy, how was the smoke flavor? I myself could care less about a smoke ring as long I the flavor is right, but I don't compete either.

legendaryhog
05-04-2021, 02:58 PM
Looks good to me. I wouldn't worry about a big smoke ring as long as it tastes good. If you want a bigger smoke ring you can put your meat on cold and it will develop a larger ring...but I really don't care about it anymore. If it tastes good who cares?

zachg18
05-04-2021, 03:22 PM
Well I got to tell you those ribs look really good to me despite the smoke ring. They look tender and juicy, how was the smoke flavor? I myself could care less about a smoke ring as long I the flavor is right, but I don't compete either.

Well that's the thing....

Smoke flavor was good around the bark but deeper in the meat just tasted like...meat haha....

I wouldnt care if it was just an aesthetic thing, but I wonder if a better smoke ring does imply more smoke flavor?

thirdeye
05-04-2021, 03:27 PM
Smoke rings stop forming at 140°, so start your meat off cold, and run your pit colder for the first couple of hours.

Maintain good airflow in your pit, a smoldering fire is not the best.

Moist meat absorbs nitrogen dioxide more easily.

Charcoal briquettes have more nitrogen than lump charcoal. If you are a lump burner add a couple of briquettes atop your fire early on in the cook.

Delpo
05-04-2021, 03:28 PM
Hard to get smoke ring in wsm. Don't know why. My 18.5 is great but it pales in smoke ring production compared to my Assassin 48. Same charcoal, same process, same wood chunks... No clue as to why.

4ever3
05-04-2021, 03:28 PM
A little reading material for ya...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-science-of-the-smoke-ring/amp/

brandonh1987
05-04-2021, 03:33 PM
dude forget the smoke ring. those ribs are bangin'. If you want the interior of the meat to be smoky, the rest of it would be awful. Smoke is to compliment the meat, not overpower it.

NoOne
05-04-2021, 04:21 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-science-of-the-smoke-ring/amp/

Good read!

kevinstaggs
05-04-2021, 04:59 PM
Lots of folks say that a little celery seed added to your rub will help w/ smoke ring production. I certainly can't prove that, but I have never felt that adding it hurt anything either...

thirdeye
05-04-2021, 06:08 PM
Lots of folks say that a little celery seed added to your rub will help w/ smoke ring production. I certainly can't prove that, but I have never felt that adding it hurt anything either...

It works. Celery is high in natural nitrates, and actually the flavor of celery seed (not celery salt) is a good fit with beef. Some products you see in the store that say 'nitrate free' usually have been cured with salt and celery juice.

An inexpensive way to test the flavor is on beef hot dogs.... and I prefer to spiral cut them. Cook a few plain, and a few with a little ground celery seed sprinkled into the cuts.

https://i.imgur.com/wkqNbXP.jpg

marvda1
05-04-2021, 07:08 PM
What does a smoke ring taste like?

Bacchus2b
05-04-2021, 07:12 PM
How old are your wood chunks and what kind? If they are the typical kiln-dried chunks found bagged in most grocery stores and sporting goods stores across the country, most of the moisture has evaporated and you will get a very clean burn with little to no smoke ring. See if you can find someone selling full size wood splits (ideally about a year old) and cut your own chunks. For a WSM you shouldn't need that much. Not all wood is the same!

LYU370
05-04-2021, 07:43 PM

Too ring-y for me...

4ever3
05-04-2021, 07:44 PM

#ipleadth5th

LYU370
05-04-2021, 07:45 PM
You do know that the "smoke ring" has nothing to do with smoke... It's just a chemical reaction. Give your ribs a coat of tender quick, rinse off after about 10 minutes and throw them in the oven. You'll get an awesome "smoke ring".

SMOKE FREAK
05-04-2021, 07:59 PM
You do know that the "smoke ring" has nothing to do with smoke... It's just a chemical reaction. Give your ribs a coat of tender quick, rinse off after about 10 minutes and throw them in the oven. You'll get an awesome "smoke ring".

Don't forget the liquid smoke...

zachg18
05-04-2021, 08:49 PM

I did not.

I had heard it had something to do with how much the smoke penetrated the meat...but perhaps that was wrong haha

zachg18
05-04-2021, 08:50 PM
How old are your wood chunks and what kind? If they are the typical kiln-dried chunks found bagged in most grocery stores and sporting goods stores across the country, most of the moisture has evaporated and you will get a very clean burn with little to no smoke ring. See is you can find someone selling full size wood splits (ideally about a year old) and cut your own chunks. For a WSM you shouldn't need that much. Not all wood is the same!

Yeah I've just been getting wood off amazon/in grocery stores.

Western Premium is one brand I used I believe.

JS-TX
05-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Easy fix.. season the meat about 4-8 hours in advance. Make sure your base rub has some salt in it.. celery seed also helps too. A "white" fajita seasoning works well.

-Chris-
05-05-2021, 05:25 AM

Like warm apple pie... :-D

morningwoodbbq
05-05-2021, 07:20 AM
I put my wood on the top of my coals. You want to get that smoke rolling early in the cook. Your smoke may be hitting the meat too late. Also ensure the outside of the meat is wet when you put it on as smoke sticks to wet.

SweetHeatBBQnSC
05-05-2021, 08:38 AM
If you liked it then you should have put a ring on it.

Yes, the smoke ring has nothing to do with the amount of smoke. This helps to explain how pellet grills leave such awesome smoke rings, regardless of how much smoke they impart on the actual food.

jermoQ
05-05-2021, 12:43 PM
Meat looks good! A couple of people already said it, but the smoke ring is just food for the eyes. A chemical reaction, that's all.

Dustin Dorsey
05-05-2021, 12:53 PM
How much did you trim the fat? The smoke ring can't form in fat so the ring won't go as deep. Silver-skin seems to have some effect. Keeping the air moist can help. I don't do water in the pan with my WSM but it can help. You could also spritz and that will help the smoke ring, and contrary to popular belief it can continue past 140 degrees. Celery power is a good way to kind of hack a smoke ring. Some people resort to Tenderquick. Personally, I see a smoke ring on those ribs even if it's not deep. The ribs look amazing.

zachg18
05-05-2021, 01:25 PM
How much did you trim the fat? The smoke ring can't form in fat so the ring won't go as deep. Silver-skin seems to have some effect. Keeping the air moist can help. I don't do water in the pan with my WSM but it can help. You could also spritz and that will help the smoke ring, and contrary to popular belief it can continue past 140 degrees. Celery power is a good way to kind of hack a smoke ring. Some people resort to Tenderquick. Personally, I see a smoke ring on those ribs even if it's not deep. The ribs look amazing.

Trimmed it all off the top. Including silver skin.

I also don't do water in the pan just because I had seen several top BBQ guys recommend agains it (although side note - what is the purpose of the water anyway?)

I'm down in Miami so it's pretty humid here already...

Thanks!

jwilliamson1000
05-05-2021, 04:47 PM
Use a little celery seed in your rub. Tastes good and will help with the smoke ring

Dustin Dorsey
05-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Trimmed it all off the top. Including silver skin.

I also don't do water in the pan just because I had seen several top BBQ guys recommend agains it (although side note - what is the purpose of the water anyway?)

I'm down in Miami so it's pretty humid here already...

Thanks!

Humid air transmits heat better. It also helps stabilize temperature in the cook chamber. The surface of the meat being wet attracts smoke and helps the reaction that causes the smoke ring. However, it also decreases the efficiency of the WSM and can inhibit bark formation. I generally don't use it in my WSM, but I did get a slightly better smoke ring when I did.

SirPorkaLot
05-05-2021, 07:30 PM
So here is what I’ve learned.
The tighter the smoker, the bigger the ring.
Smokers like WSMs are, by design, not sealed tightly and it is hard to produce a ring.

On the other hand, heavy well sealed smokers like my Shirley offset, produce amazing rings with little to no effort.

It may be true that the ring is only cosmetic, but you eat with your eyes first and a strong smoke ring looks banging.

There are some things you can do to help the process.

Put meat on the smoker cold, bring temps up slowly. The longer you can keep it on smoke before it hits 140F, the better chance of a ring.
You can add celery seed to rub, but that is mostly a bbq myth (it helps a little, maybe.. or maybe not)

boogiechillen
05-06-2021, 12:47 AM

Great read

jkief
05-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Ditch the WSM and buy an Assassin. :clap2:
In all seriousness, what everyone else here said holds true. I wouldn’t chase the ring. Chase the flavor, moisture, and tenderness. If you can nail all 3 of them, you’ve hit the BBQ trinity!