PDA

View Full Version : Pepper/Salt question regards to bark

UMICH1
04-29-2021, 09:28 AM
I've always used Kosher Salt and Restaurant grind pepper for bark. Has anyone used table salt or finer pepper and how did the bark turn out? Thanks.

blackdogbbq21
04-29-2021, 04:22 PM
I have not tried it personally but i do not think it will work well. I'd be concerned of it being way too salty with the table salt. I also doubt the fine ground pepper would attract smoke like the course stuff does so i wouldn't expect a similar bark.

Hamdrew
04-29-2021, 05:47 PM
Finer grind = potentially technically more surface area, but you do want the higher ridges of coarse ground pepper. Otherwise your bark might end up "all in one piece", similar to using or spritzing with too much sugar.

Pepper always seems to make more of a difference to me than salt grind, but that could be the rationalist in me knowing that it should all just dissolve anyways. I usually just use MSG in my rubs as it is, versus coarse kosher salt

Bacchus2b
04-29-2021, 10:16 PM
Table Salt is usually "iodized" meaning it contains iodine which can impart a metallic taste when combined with certain foods. Table Salt is also higher in sodium than Kosher salt (2,325 milligrams of sodium per TSP vs 1,800 milligrams of sodium per TSP for Kosher). Last but not least, Kosher salt is easier to sprinkle on meat without getting too much concentration in one spot.

For pepper, I like the texture of course ground pepper better than a fine grind on brisket.