PDA

View Full Version : Rib comparison...mixed results

jkief
04-24-2021, 05:29 PM
Process: rub , seran wrap, refrigerator overnight. Pit set temp 275. Assassin was running 260-290. Smoked for about 2 hours, pulled topped with butter and 2 TBS sauce each.

Results: Assassin had a touch more flavor than the MAK and Yoder. MAK came in second, Yoder third. MAK was significantly darker and bark was the toughest of the 3. Yoder held the most juice by a mile. Yoder had a great bite through but wife likes fall of the bone so could have gone another 30 minutes. I

Winner: Assassin - Perfect flavor, moisture, and texture. (No surprises there)
Second: MAK - More flavor than Yoder, but more dry. It’s almost like the MAK is running hotter than the Yoder. Maybe a temp issue with MAK?
Third: Yoder - Just a hair less flavor (it was super close) than the MAK, but much more juicy. Could have spent maybe 30-45 minutes more unwrapped.

Sorry, don’t know how to put a space between pics...

Opinions: All 3 were great and wouldn’t hesitate to cook and eat from any of them. I think the Yoder likes to run 235 and under for flavor. MAK can run any temp with consistent results. I think my MAK is running hot causing the bark to get tough and cooking faster. I’m going to run temp probes in the pits tomorrow to see.

KevinJ
04-24-2021, 05:35 PM
They all look great and I'm sure they were.

To space a pic just hit return after posting a pic just like you would if when your writing and want to space.

Bob C Cue
04-24-2021, 05:41 PM
Thanks for another detailed comparison. It would be interesting to see how they compare if you run the pellet grills at 225 or under for 3 to 4 hours.

ShadowDriver
04-24-2021, 06:11 PM
When attaching photos directly to a post/thread, there's not a "space" option (that I'm aware of).

When posting photos via a link (a la Imgur or Photobucket), one CAN put a "space" between.

Jeffry is using the former option with great success.

BREAK BREAK

Love the comparison... bones look great, man. Fun to see you putting the new piece of kit though its paces!

ssv3
04-24-2021, 06:21 PM
Nice! I'm digging your experiments. Def will help folks make better decision on which one suits them.

I mostly do spares but tonight's crowd are baby back fans. Going on the Yoder now.

jkief
04-24-2021, 06:32 PM
Thanks for another detailed comparison. It would be interesting to see how they compare if you run the pellet grills at 225 or under for 3 to 4 hours.

I’d be really curious as well. The Assassin really likes 275-300. I think pellets like 200-250. I’m just wondering why the MAK cooked the ribs hotter than the Yoder. I’m scratching my head. Hopefully putting temp probes in both cookers tomorrow yields more answers.

Chester
04-24-2021, 10:03 PM
Cool comparison. Have you used the Assassin for regular grilling yet? Just curious of your thoughts on it as a grill.

jkief
04-24-2021, 10:18 PM
Cool comparison. Have you used the Assassin for regular grilling yet? Just curious of your thoughts on it as a grill.

It’s a killer grill. I think that’s where it excels. Having that much space, you can really move things around depending on how much heat you want. Think Weber kettle on steroids. It’s crazy versatile.

DBBQ
04-24-2021, 11:41 PM
Enjoy your comparisons between the various brands. Almost got an assassin at one point.

4ever3
04-25-2021, 01:27 AM
LOVE the comparisons!!!

Thanks for your efforts!

rwalters
04-25-2021, 06:55 AM
Really enjoying these side by sides! Goes to show that there is no such thing as the “perfect” cooker, as all have their pluses and minuses. Having had many cookers go through my backyard over the years, there are definitely a few that I have had that by far and away have had the fewest “minuses” for me. Always fun to put them to the test (or watch others do it as it’s cheaper... lol) and make informed decisions on what’ll work best for you and yours :)

mph33
04-25-2021, 07:04 AM
It’s a killer grill. I think that’s where it excels. Having that much space, you can really move things around depending on how much heat you want. Think Weber kettle on steroids. It’s crazy versatile.

which assasain model do you have? thanx!

jkief
04-25-2021, 07:38 AM
I’m also playing with the variable damper on the Yoder to see if that makes a difference. Had it all the way out on the burger cook and all the way in yesterday for the pork belly and rib cook. Today, I’m going to pull it out about 8” as recommended by Yoder.

jzadski
04-25-2021, 08:25 AM
You are making me want to get another smoker

HogGrog
04-25-2021, 09:31 AM
Another great cooker comparison, thanks.

After my stick burner, my Assassin 48 lays down the best smoke and flavor so your results don’t surprise me. But I gotta find out for myself and you have inspired me to do my own comparison between the Assassin and the MAK.

jkief
04-25-2021, 02:06 PM
Another great cooker comparison, thanks.

After my stick burner, my Assassin 48 lays down the best smoke and flavor so your results don’t surprise me. But I gotta find out for myself and you have inspired me to do my own comparison between the Assassin and the MAK.

MAK makes an amazing smoke profile. Found out today, mine is running 20-30 degrees hotter than the pit is registering. Adjusting for this, I’d say the MAK will be a very close second to the Assassin.

Shiz-Nit
04-26-2021, 06:47 AM
Again thank you for doing this side by side experiment it surly will help me out on my next purchase.

SweetHeatBBQnSC
04-26-2021, 08:34 AM
Awesome research and greatly appreciated!

cowgirl
04-26-2021, 01:25 PM
They all look great!