PDA

View Full Version : failed new smoker build?

swsmokeyjoe
04-23-2021, 05:57 AM
I’m a southerner living in London and the lack of decent bbq was bearable given frequent trips back to SC. However, after a year+ of no decent bbq, I have had to take matters into my own hands. As London isn’t long on space for an additional smoker, I converted my 57’ weber + rotisserie into a vertical smoker (through a heavy-duty diffuser plate and new grate holds into the rotisserie). The initial test runs have held the temp comfortably at 150c w/ no black smoke but I am getting a strange acidic taste to the bbq that I’m not used to. I have flipped the charcoal numerous times and am still getting the same result. Any suggestions?

Nuco59
04-23-2021, 07:22 AM
Sorry to hear of your issues. Do you have pictures of your setup? How are you arranging and lighting your charcoal? How much wood are you using? How long are you waiting before putting your meat on the grate? It may take 45 min to an hour before I like the "smell" coming out of the vent. If it smells like ashtray, you need to wait. You're saying no black smoke- but any smoke that comes out needs to smell "good". The heavy duty difuser has to be pretty close to your fire- it may get super hot and flashing back the greases hitting the plate. Burned oil /fat can give you nasty taste too.

bschoen
04-23-2021, 07:37 AM
Everything Nuco59 said and I'll add, how much airflow and convection does it have? Stale smoke will build creosote, which is acidic and nasty.

SirPorkaLot
04-23-2021, 08:21 AM
I’m just here to see the 57 ft Weber :)

halfcocked
04-23-2021, 10:54 AM
Me too.:laugh: I'm sure the op meant inches.

Nuco59
04-23-2021, 05:46 PM
57 inches...that's a good one. Had a young pressman come in and ask me for 25 feet of 8mm ID hose. Told him to go out and figure how many meters he needed. I told him if he had wanted 25 feet of 1/2" hose that would be no problem- but I could not mix metric and 'merican. He did come back with the right length and asked me if I was funning him. I had to admit it- could not lie with the big grin I had on.

Titch
04-23-2021, 05:52 PM
Maybe try a different brand of fuel

Dweverett
04-24-2021, 06:20 AM
Me too.:laugh: I'm sure the op meant inches.

I think he meant “cm” then it’s a 22” he has which makes sense. If he meant 57” then it would have to be a gasser?

swsmokeyjoe
04-27-2021, 09:55 AM
Sorry to hear of your issues. Do you have pictures of your setup? How are you arranging and lighting your charcoal? How much wood are you using? How long are you waiting before putting your meat on the grate? It may take 45 min to an hour before I like the "smell" coming out of the vent. If it smells like ashtray, you need to wait. You're saying no black smoke- but any smoke that comes out needs to smell "good". The heavy duty difuser has to be pretty close to your fire- it may get super hot and flashing back the greases hitting the plate. Burned oil /fat can give you nasty taste too.

Great advice! I let it run for 45 minutes and arrange the coal in a ring about 8cm deep. The flavour was much more neutral with a minor acidic taste to it so I suspect that was a big part of it.

swsmokeyjoe
04-27-2021, 09:56 AM
Everything Nuco59 said and I'll add, how much airflow and convection does it have? Stale smoke will build creosote, which is acidic and nasty.

Agreed, I am particularly concerned about airflow given that this is not a real vertical smoker so let me know if there are any tips. Top vents are always open and I've spaced the top grate as low as possible.

swsmokeyjoe
04-27-2021, 09:59 AM

:clap2: the dream weber, though would take up the whole garden

Smoke Dawg
04-27-2021, 01:22 PM
Open the exhaust 100% and control the temp with the inlet

SmittyJonz
04-27-2021, 03:15 PM
Build an UDS.

Nuco59
04-27-2021, 05:03 PM
"Build an UDS"
(in all honesty- it's not bad advice)

But since he has what he has...
I would sort of still like to see pictures of the rig- there should be some way to regulate his temps better.