PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Hotdogs

WilliamKY
04-16-2021, 08:02 PM
Well, kinda. Poppy seed hotdog buns around here are as common as Sasquatch. I probably could have gone to a bakery but cheap white buns were quick and easy. 1/4lb Costco all beef hotdogs. Next time I get bigger hoagie buns. Ran through the garden in Chicago fashion but I didn't have sport peppers. I used pepperoncini. Vienna sport peppers have been ordered. The first time I saw these dogs I thought people in Chicago were crazy. That was before I ate one. My favorite hotdog.

frognot
04-16-2021, 08:26 PM
Bill-Chicago introduced me to my first Chicago dog (and first Italian beef) at Portillo's a couple of years ago. Both were so tasty and I really should try to make my own sometime.

Your hot dog looks mighty fine.

LYU370
04-16-2021, 08:27 PM
You did the Chicago Char Dog, excellent! And you cut the slits into the ends, even more excellent for a non Chicagoan.

ShadowDriver
04-16-2021, 08:34 PM
Yes, please! Those are some mean dawgs.

I've not tried the Kirkland brand beef dawgs before, but I'd sure give 'em a try for a rendition like this!

jkief
04-16-2021, 09:15 PM
I’ll take two please!!

MisterChrister
04-16-2021, 09:17 PM
Yes please, and seconds if I can!

Hoss
04-16-2021, 09:31 PM
Never could muster the courage to try a True Chicago Dawg myself.They just sound gross.I guess I am gonna have to overcome that someday.Those hot dawgs you made look great,but I had still rather have mine with chopped onions and mustard or maybe a spoonful of chili.FWIW,you could spritz that bun with water and sprinkle a few poppy seeds on next time.

Bill-Chicago
04-16-2021, 10:15 PM
Bill-Chicago introduced me to my first Chicago dog (and first Italian beef) at Portillo's a couple of years ago. Both were so tasty and I really should try to make my own sometime.

Your hot dog looks mighty fine.

I think the Italian Beef is the under sung hero for Chicago...

It has so much more potential, but it is so easy to get wrong, that visitors gets a bad one and are unimpressed.

WilliamKY, you did a great recreation!

Living here, I didn't grow up on those, we had different versions around the city, mine was a Chicago Depression dog style, but all of them in my neighborhood had ketchup, and some high fallootin yutz here said ketchup is a no and it stuck. Probably a north sider.

We never had the garden style when I was a kid.

Go figure

Your's looks tasty

LYU370
04-16-2021, 10:44 PM
Love depression dogs, we have Nana's out here in Streamwood. She was Gene's daughter, of Gene & Jude's. Not owned by the family anymore, but still great dogs. Nana's has ketchup, Gene & Jude's has no ketchup in the building.

Titch
04-17-2021, 12:21 AM
Educate me, what does Ran through the garden in Chicago fashion mean?
I believe we can get those snags at costco

SlickRockStones
04-17-2021, 03:30 AM
What about the green relish? Celery seed or celery salt? Pickle spear or half-moon pickle chips? Rednecks gotta know.

bschoen
04-17-2021, 06:25 AM

I had to look up 'sport peppers' and came across this:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-are-sport-peppers-4777768

"In 1957, Chicagoans started to see their beloved Vienna Beef hot dogs dressed in the "dragged through the garden" style which included pickled sport peppers."

So I guess it is Chicago speak for including veggies on your dog. Still don't know if other things, burgers and such, can also be dragged through the garden.

Stingerhook
04-17-2021, 06:52 AM
Nice work William.

frognot
04-17-2021, 07:25 AM

Titch, here's what was on the dog I had.

https://www.portillos.com/menu/restaurant/hot-dogs-and-chili/##HotDog

ModelMaker
04-17-2021, 07:48 AM
Titch, here's what was on the dog I had.

https://www.portillos.com/menu/restaurant/hot-dogs-and-chili/##HotDog

That link of Portillos just crushed my stomachs heart....
Ed

Big George's BBQ
04-17-2021, 08:27 AM
Looks really good

Mikhail
04-17-2021, 08:39 AM
Portillo's rocks. I introduced my BIL to it in Indy and that's the only place he wants to go now. I gut really hooked on Chicago dogs working up there, but Italian beef is great too.

Cat797
04-17-2021, 10:14 AM
Looks awesome......

Being downstate, I had never tried a Chicago dog until they put a Portillos in Bloomington/Normal. I can never make a decision on whether to get Italian Beef or the Jumbo dog, so I usually get one of each! LOL.

Gotta try the Maxwell Street Polish, that's killer too......

ronbrad62
04-17-2021, 10:23 AM
That is close to being a two-handed hotdog! I think I have had Costco hotdogs before and they were fantastic. Whenever I am in QuikTrip (chain of convenience stores for those that don't know) I always see the fixin's for Chicago Dogs on the condiment bar. Now I want one. Nice job, William!

LYU370
04-17-2021, 10:31 AM

What about the green relish? Celery seed or celery salt? Pickle spear or half-moon pickle chips? Rednecks gotta know.

Yellow mustard, diced white onion, neon green pickle relish, two half moon slices of tomato, pickle spear, sport peppers & a sprinkle of celery salt. In that order.

A lot of places will ask if you want peppers, many people say no. So if you can't find them or don't like them, it's still a Chicago dog without them.

To make your own neon green relish, just add a drop or two of blue food coloring and mix well. Don't over do it, or you will end up with blue relish.

Have lived in the NW side of the Chicago area almost my entire life, the only people I've ever heard say drag it through the garden were people not from Chicago. We just ask for it with everything. South side of the city may be different.

HogGrog
04-17-2021, 10:44 AM
Here doggie doggie!

Yum.

Hamdrew
04-17-2021, 02:14 PM
I think the Italian Beef is the under sung hero for Chicago...

It has so much more potential, but it is so easy to get wrong, that visitors gets a bad one and are unimpressed.

WilliamKY, you did a great recreation!

Living here, I didn't grow up on those, we had different versions around the city, mine was a Chicago Depression dog style, but all of them in my neighborhood had ketchup, and some high fallootin yutz here said ketchup is a no and it stuck. Probably a north sider.

We never had the garden style when I was a kid.

Go figure

Your's looks tasty

i wouldnt say undersung, but i spent most of my time on the west and south sides

i like the combo salz+beef from romas or johnnys, but will never turn down a good dog either.

at home i use nathans dogs and pickle spears, old vienna sport peppers and often a spicy pickled cascabella or two

WilliamKY
04-17-2021, 02:23 PM
Vienna didn't waste any time. 4 jars of sport peppers arrived today. I bought two packs of those jumbo hotdogs so I will be doing these char dogs again very soon.

Rustypigbbq
04-17-2021, 03:00 PM
Yellow mustard, diced white onion, neon green pickle relish, two half moon slices of tomato, pickle spear, sport peppers & a sprinkle of celery salt. In that order.

A lot of places will ask if you want peppers, many people say no. So if you can't find them or don't like them, it's still a Chicago dog without them.

To make your own neon green relish, just add a drop or two of blue food coloring and mix well. Don't over do it, or you will end up with blue relish.

Have lived in the NW side of the Chicago area almost my entire life, the only people I've ever heard say drag it through the garden were people not from Chicago. We just ask for it with everything. South side of the city may be different.
As a Chicago south sider we just say everything also. Never heard anyone say drag it through the garden

BillN
04-17-2021, 05:14 PM
Dang! Now I want a hot dog.

jcgearhart
04-17-2021, 07:50 PM
"Running it through the garden" in Chicago refers to Italian beef sandwiches and how you want it made. You have a choice of sweet (green peppers),or hot (Giardiniera). You tell them you want a "Beef, wet and run it through the garden, meaning you want it dipped deep in the juice with hot peppers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsEOO71Mlcc