PDA

View Full Version : 22" SNS Deluxe Kettle vs 26" Weber with SNS XL?

Jim_MI
03-20-2021, 08:56 PM
Total newbie to charcoal grilling, with limited gas experience.

I am going to get a charcoal kettle grill of some sort next month. From reading this forum, I am amazed at what you guys can do on a good kettle grill, especially with an indirect heat setup. So I have narrowed my search to the 26" Weber with a SNS XL insert or a 22" SNS Deluxe setup.

Thus far, most of my grilling has been for just 2-4 people with only the occasional larger crowd, and all pretty simple stuff like steaks, burgers, brats & fish. So most of the time a 22" would be fine. But I do smoke salmon and lake trout (currently using a vertical cabinet smoker) and would consider doing batches on the kettle. Also, I like to do cedar planked trout and whitefish on the grill but discovered that I cannot fit more than 2 planks in a 22". The 26" looks like more than I will need most (but not all) of the time. I am also leery of the MANY stories of poor quality on the Chinese manufactured Weber.

All that taken into consideration, will I regret going for the smaller but better quality SNS kettle?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

PnkPanther
03-20-2021, 08:59 PM
No experience with SNS, but I considered both last year, got the Weber 26, no regrets

The extra size imo Trump's benefits of SNS

WilliamKY
03-20-2021, 09:03 PM
I could be wrong but I believe the Weber 26 is made in USA. I know mine was but I've had it for 9yrs so maybe Weber has since outsourced. The 22 has more gadgets but in the end the 26 is superior. As long as Weber makes a 26 I will never own another 22.

Dweverett
03-20-2021, 09:18 PM
I think the SnS kettle is a high quality grill but the space on the 26” kettle is really nice to have. I don’t need the extra all that often but it’s nice when I do and there isn’t any down side when I don’t. And I’m using the smaller slow and sear in mine as I already had it from a prior 22” kettle. The XL version would also give you more searing space which i have had an issue with with my setup (though not enough to upgrade)

Now, if SnS made a 26, I’d be all over it.

jsmorrow2s
03-20-2021, 09:50 PM
I have a 22” Weber and a 26” Weber. I had the 22 for years and swore it was fine. Then they came out with the glen blue 26” and picked one up. I wish I had done that sooner.

Now, that being said, for versatility, have you thought about a 22” Weber Smokey mountain? Throw out the water pan, you can use the entire 22” for direct smoking PLUS it has the lower rack. You can remove the middle section, set the grill grate on the fire ring, and you have a charcoal grill. I’ve done all of that and it works out.

However, now I’m in the process of getting an original pk (made in America) for my bday and probably a hunsaker drum later this year. Did not mean to hijack or divert this post but I remember being in your shoes. Using a spread sheet to find your exact needs and figure out which one works best for you is a good idea as well.

****not sure, but you might want to check to see if the SNS is made in China as well****

Cookb4
03-20-2021, 10:00 PM
Another vote for the 26. I love mine.

Bacchus2b
03-21-2021, 12:27 AM
Love my Weber 26" and over the last four years I've bought a lot of accessories for it like the XL SNS. I don't use the SNS as much as I thought I would, and the Vortex was my favorite toy and chicken wing cooking machine, until Mark Hunsaker started selling a griddle plate for the Weber 26" at the ridiculously low price of $59.99!!! Such a good value I feel like I stole it!

Turns the 26" into a giant griddle which I'm using at least once a week. Dump a large chimney of briquettes, slide in the griddle, and you're in business for a long time.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/griddles/products/griddle-plate-for-22-kettle-grill?variant=32068173922388

Chester
03-21-2021, 07:45 AM
Really wish SNS made a 26. I think that would be a big seller for them.

One more to add to your look list, is the new Kamado Kettle Joe. It comes with the slow roller, so it opens up the whole 22” grill to indirect cooking. It also comes with a hinged lid, fire bricks in the bottom chamber and several other neat features. Definitely worth a look see if you haven’t considered it.

halfcocked
03-21-2021, 08:09 AM
My charcoal grill is the 22" Kettle but just yesterday I was at a local BBQ store and happened to see the Weber 26. I was amazed how much bigger it is compared to the 22. Very impressive unit but it looks like you would have to walk around it to do a full grate cook or ware welding gloves to the armpit to manage from one side only.

Cook
03-21-2021, 01:35 PM
Now, that being said, for versatility, have you thought about a 22” Weber Smokey mountain? Throw out the water pan, you can use the entire 22” for direct smoking PLUS it has the lower rack. You can remove the middle section, set the grill grate on the fire ring, and you have a charcoal grill. I’ve done all of that and it works out.

The WSM is uber versatile. I do sometimes use the water pan, but I stopped putting water in it years ago. I also have put the rack over the coals & grilled on it. But probably 95% of the time I cook barbecue, or slow grill, on either the top or middle rack w/o the waterpan.

Being from North Carolina, I much prefer the direct heat method of cooking pork & chicken for barbecue. When I do this I don't use wood either...just 100% burning coals.

The WSM is a great do-it-all setup if you can only have one piece of equipment.

BUT...to answer the OP...given the choice of your two grills...I'd go 26" all day long.

ssv3
03-21-2021, 01:46 PM
Without a doubt 26 with the SnS. I had a Weber 22 and 26 both with SnS. After a few months of owning both I completely stopped using the 22. Gave it to my bro and I only have the 26. Huge difference compared to the 26 with what you can do and the extra capacity.

ShadowDriver
03-21-2021, 01:50 PM
I've had a 22" Weber for years. Just recently picked up a 26" Weber and instantly got the SnS XL for her.

I echo the above recommendations of the 26 with the SnS XL. It's been so versatile... cooking a trisket on my setup as we speak.

charrederhead
03-21-2021, 02:04 PM
I said this, about that, 10 days ago:

"The SNS kettle looks like a very nice, high quality grill. But if I was in the market for a kettle, I'd choose the Weber 26.75". The extra cooking space makes a difference.

I use an original SNS ($60) in the 26.

22.5 SNS Deluxe $365 vs Weber 26.75 w/SNS (330+60) $390.

390-365=25

$25 more for the added real estate is a great deal, imo."

tom b
03-21-2021, 02:16 PM
easy,26 w/ SnS

Cook
03-21-2021, 07:13 PM
It doesn't sound like much of a difference...after all, going from the 22 to the 26 is only four inches, right?

But the difference is huge when you look at square inches.

A 22" diameter circle contains 380 square inches.
A 26" diameter circle contains 531 square inches.

That's a substantial difference...and alot more real estate...

ShadowDriver
03-21-2021, 07:14 PM
That's a substantial difference...and alot more real estate...

SO much room for activities!

PnkPanther
03-21-2021, 07:25 PM
I've also found that the 26 doesn't require more charcoal than 22, so I find myself using 26 for all my cooks

My 22 has been relegated to backup/ Rotisserie cooker

Jim_MI
03-23-2021, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions, guys! I looked at some of the alternatives mentioned but I'm convinced and will be ordering the Weber 26" and SnS-XL. It's all new to me so I'm sure I'll be checking back with more inquiries as things evolve.

Bacchus2b
03-25-2021, 08:42 PM
Congrats!!!! I would highly recommend getting a Vortex as well. Turns the 26" into a wing and leg cooking machine! 60 wings will fit if you take your time placing. Also good for slow roasted burgers around the perimeter.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4856/45953048425_4ae707e124_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2d1Hojn)IMG_0530 (https://flic.kr/p/2d1Hojn) by David Miller (https://www.flickr.com/photos/157553636@N06/), on Flickr

Jim_MI
03-25-2021, 10:28 PM
Congrats!!!! I would highly recommend getting a Vortex as well. Turns the 26" into a wing and leg cooking machine! 60 wings will fit if you take your time placing. Also good for slow roasted burgers around the perimeter.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4856/45953048425_4ae707e124_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2d1Hojn)IMG_0530 (https://flic.kr/p/2d1Hojn) by David Miller (https://www.flickr.com/photos/157553636@N06/), on FlickrCurious about the Vortex: Couldn't I achieve the same thing with the SnS? Just stack all the wings on the indirect side of the grill instead of concentrically around the centrally-placed vortex gizmo?

kynmo2010
03-26-2021, 06:10 AM
Curious about the Vortex: Couldn't I achieve the same thing with the SnS? Just stack all the wings on the indirect side of the grill instead of concentrically around the centrally-placed vortex gizmo?

I've never used an SnS, but I also have a 26" Weber and use a vortex for wings with the same set up as shown. With the vortex you get intense heat (550-600) and it goes up dit the lid and radiates back down to cook the wings. It's a great set up for wings.

Sooner21
03-26-2021, 06:38 AM
Curious about the Vortex: Couldn't I achieve the same thing with the SnS? Just stack all the wings on the indirect side of the grill instead of concentrically around the centrally-placed vortex gizmo?

Yes. I have both for my 26" and use the SnS 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlickRockStones
03-26-2021, 07:07 AM
I have 22”,26” w/SnS XL and vortex. The 22 used for rotisserie and smaller vortex cooks. The 26 is great for all else. You could get the 26 and medium vortex to start and just use the baskets to make one big basket for slow cooks or run a snake that burns even longer. Although the SnS XL works great, it adds extra weight to the 26’s already wobbly three legged stance. Dont wait for Weber to create the much needed four legged Quadramaster Platinum. The kamado kettle contraption killed it.

KevinJ
03-26-2021, 09:06 AM
Yes. I have both for my 26" and use the SnS 90% of the time.I only have a 22", same experience especially since I went to only burning Lump.