PDA

View Full Version : Pastrami questions

KC Smoke
03-18-2021, 09:48 PM
For some time now I've wanted to take advantage of the St Patrick's Day corned beef and smoke some pastrami. So here I sit with two corned points and a complete lack of direction. I've searched the site and am overwhelmed. I was under the impression that there was a general spice blend for the rub but am seeing all kinds of variants. I'm leaning towards smoking to a temp and then sous vide to finish. If anyone has any experience or suggestions then I'm all ears.

JAKs Q & brew
03-18-2021, 10:33 PM
Definitely soak any store bought corned beef at least 24 hours, changing the water 2x. After soaking you can cut a small piece off and fry it up to see if it is still too salty.

One big thing that is different for me with corned brisket is it can be tough getting the rub/bark to set. I like applying the rub and letting it sit in the fridge 1-2 days before going on the smoker.

TravelingJ
03-18-2021, 10:38 PM
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

This is the guidance I've used every time, and we love it. I'm sure there are several good ideas out there, but in general-ThirdEye does an amazing job of explaining the how and why for each step. I like Method #3 with the steam finish.

KC Smoke
03-18-2021, 10:38 PM
Thanks JAKs Q & brew. Hell, now I'm leaning to the sous vide first then smoke method for the crust. Argh!

KC Smoke
03-18-2021, 10:40 PM
Thank you TravelingJ.

thirdeye
03-18-2021, 10:40 PM
Generally before transforming a corned beef into pastrami you use a rub that has a pepper, garlic, and coriander kind of footprint. It can contain these 'base ingredients' in an unlimited combination of ratios to suit your personal tastes. On top of that, your rub can contain some signature spices to make it your own.

After smoking, most pastramied meats do benefit from a separate finishing method. Pastramied turkey breast would be an exception, it's good right off the smoker, and for sandwiches later in the week. But overall, I believe that he who masters the finish, masters the pastrami. Methods like braising, steaming (like delicatessens use) or pressure cooking are examples of a finish method. Sous vide is a new player to the list of finish methods.

Give my pastrami article a read, it's not the ultimate guide or anything, but it will give you enough information to ask more questions and discuss options without flying by the seat of your pants. I did write it with store-bought corned beef in mind because that is an easy jumping off point for many people.

thirdeye
03-18-2021, 10:43 PM

This is the guidance I've used every time, and we love it. I'm sure there are several good ideas out there, but in general-ThirdEye does an amazing job of explaining the how and why for each step. I like Method #3 with the steam finish.

Thanks so much for the kind words bud. :thumb: We must have been typing at the same time!

TravelingJ
03-18-2021, 10:45 PM
Thanks so much for the kind words bud. :thumb: We must have been typing at the same time!

Thanks for making that post! It's the link I've sent to several friends when they want to try a pastrami.

Cat797
03-19-2021, 09:25 AM
I just made my first homemade pastrami from a raw brisket this year. I used the recipe from Malcom Reed's howtobbqright.com

Everybody raved about it. I also referenced amazingribs.com recipe. I smoked it up to about 175 degrees and had to quit for the day. The next day after work I put it on a rack in a aluminum pan, added water to the pan, covered in foil and took it to 204 degrees or so. Turned out excellent.