PDA

View Full Version : Lobster

CarbonToe
07-06-2007, 06:04 AM
On Sunday my better half and I celibrate our 7th Anniversary.

She's requested "Posh Surf and Turf", i.e. She wants a large Lobster. I prefer large prawns/crayfish but it's her day and if all she's requested is a Lobster, a Lobster she gets!!! :-D

When I've cooked them in the past I've either done them Thermador style (crass but I love it!) or just pop them in the freezer to stun and then chop in half, brush with butter and garlic and grill on both sides until done.

I've an urge to be creative and live life on the edge......Can you smoke a Lobster? Any recipes advice?

Sorry for the short notice!!!!

DaChief
07-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Congrats on your anniversary...sorry I can't help on the lobster but someone out there I am sure will be able to.

Smokin Gator
07-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Never smoked one... Dang sure love 'em on the grill. That's what I would do.

gunrunner2491
07-06-2007, 09:18 AM
I have never smoked a lobster, but I found this hope it helps.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11418,00.html

http://find.myrecipes.com/food/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=346868

For this you can delete the venison and add what ever turf meat you'd like.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/exptexas/programs/wildgame/recipes/antlers_claws.phtml

jgh1204
07-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Make the lobster watch a Graham Norton marathon. It will happily take it's own life.

bbqjoe
07-06-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't think I would smoke him per say. I think maybe some damp hickory chips in the coals would add a nice flavor, but that's as far as I would go.

Mark
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Compromise with yourself and grill it over hardwood embers. Grill some asparagus & summer squash for the sides and grilled pineapple for dessert. To be really posh go for white wine instead of beer.

Sorry; that's as posh as I can be.

Wine & Swine
07-06-2007, 04:48 PM
YOu can smoke lobster but cold smoke it only or it will get tough (I used to do a tea smoked lobster as a soup garnish and used oolong tea to smoke). I usually just split them and and grill (use some hardwood/charcoal) skin side up until just opaque and baste with a compound butter (I love roasted mango/garlic/ginger/chipotle/honey) and flip to sear the skin to finish. You will pick up some smoke off the fire and some from the chipotle to reinforce the flavor.

Smokin Gator
07-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I usually just split them and and grill (use some hardwood/charcoal) skin side up until just opaque and baste with a compound butter (I love roasted mango/garlic/ginger/chipotle/honey) and flip to sear the skin to finish. You will pick up some smoke off the fire and some from the chipotle to reinforce the flavor.

OMG... you owe me a keyboard!!!!

CarbonToe
07-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Thanks guys. I take the hint, if you guys don't know detailed info on smoking lobsters it isnt advisable to blow a $55 lobster on experimenting!!!

Make the lobster watch a Graham Norton marathon. It will happily take it's own life.

Yup totally agree, I'm going for the less painful (for the lobster) metod of Freezing for 2 hours!

To be really posh go for white wine instead of beer.

Sorry; that's as posh as I can be.

The missus has already picked out a Jacob's Creek Reserve Sparking Chardonnay Pinot Nior to quaff!!!!

YOu can smoke lobster but cold smoke it only or it will get tough (I used to do a tea smoked lobster as a soup garnish and used oolong tea to smoke).

I'm not a tea fan but I've seen this done a few times. I tihnk you're right about the toughness, all recipes I can find involve high heats.

The only BBQ recipe I could find was on the BBQ Guru website:

BBQ Bob's Smoked Lobster

Purchase fresh, live 1 1/4 lb. lobsters.

Fill a 3-4 qt. sauce pot with water and season with your favorite rub. ( In this case I used Dizzy Pig's Tsunami Spin.

Once water boils, ask the lobster's if they would like to go for a swim. If they refuse, push em in!

Boil for exactly 4 minutes and pull them out of the water.

Using a heavy, sharp knife, cut the shell of the lobsters from head to tail.

Spoon in Rosemary Butter Mash from front to back. (recipe below)

Set smoker to 350 (using the Guru of course) and place lobsters directly on grate.

Throw in 1 handful of Apple/Cherry blend wood chips.

Cook for 4 minutes and place lobsters upside down in disposable pan. Cook for 4 more minutes.

Melt Rosemary Butter Mash until it become a liquid serve with Lobster.

Rosemary Butter Mash:

1/2 stick of real salted butter
3 sprigs of fresh Rosemary clean from stems and roasted
1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
1 pinch of favorite rub
1 pinch of black pepper

Melt butter slightly until it is able to mash with fork. ( Do not let it melt to a clear oily consistancy.

Add other ingredients and mash throughly with fork

Never smoked one... Dang sure love 'em on the grill. That's what I would do.

Yup, in the end after going through loads of recipes we're going to wing it.

I've made up a butter of grated lemon rind, a little lemon juice and crushed garlic and popped it in the fridge. I thought I'd boil the lobster for about 20mins (it's 1.3 Kg) and then allow to cool. Split in two and remove all the guts etc etc, brush with the butter and pop on the grill to warm through.

Thanks for all your help......lets hope I don't screw it up!!

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-07-2007, 08:22 AM
i've never smoked a whole lobster, but i've smoked a few tails.

maybe next time try to find some tristan lobster tails from tristan da cunha off south africa... imho, the best tail on the planet! :biggrin:

do you know where your lobsta is from?

http://my.erinet.com/~pnsonr/biggreenegg/2dec06_2-002.jpg

vr6Cop
07-07-2007, 08:48 AM
The Guru recipe looks great, but the pict that Rick just posted looks loads better. :eek:

thirdeye
07-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Here is a link to an earlier thread on lobster. I pasted Houndogs "Dwell in the Shell" recipe in post # 4. It is top notch.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24037&highlight=dwell+shell

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-07-2007, 09:20 AM
The Guru recipe looks great, but the pict that Rick just posted looks loads better. :eek:
i've got more! hahaha

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/seafood/lobster_n_shrimp-009.jpg

MAsQue
07-07-2007, 09:58 AM
YOu can smoke lobster but cold smoke it only or it will get tough (I used to do a tea smoked lobster as a soup garnish and used oolong tea to smoke). I usually just split them and and grill (use some hardwood/charcoal) skin side up until just opaque and baste with a compound butter (I love roasted mango/garlic/ginger/chipotle/honey) and flip to sear the skin to finish. You will pick up some smoke off the fire and some from the chipotle to reinforce the flavor.

Don't suppose you'd mind sharing the recipe for that compound butter? That sounds real good!

Wine & Swine
07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Mango compound butter;
1 mango diced (you can roast the mango whole on the grill or oven first if you want to mellow the friuty flavor)
1 clove garlic smashed
1 tsp-1 tbs grated ginger (depending on your taste)
1 tsp-1 tbs chipotle in adobo (depending on your taste remember you can always add more in the end)
1 bunch of scallions whites only chopped (chop and reserve the greens)
Juice of 1/2-1 lime (depending on your taste & juiciness of lime) you can grate in some lime zest as well if you wish
Sprinkle of salt
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot with 1tbs unsalted butter and cook over medium until soft (apprx 7 minutes)
Put into a cuisinart and add 1lbs of unsalted butter and blend until incorporated (or a large bowl if you want it more chunky/rustic and smash with a fork/potato masher) and season with salt & pepper to taste and fold in the greens of the scallions chopped fine. This is great on grilled shrimp/fish/chicken/veggies and freezes pretty well.
I am not really great at writing my recipes and I leave room for interpretation/experimentation but that is the basic idea.

vr6Cop
07-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Here is a link to an earlier thread on lobster. I pasted Houndogs "Dwell in the Shell" recipe in post # 4. It is top notch.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24037&highlight=dwell+shell
Thanks for that. :eusa_clap

Norcoredneck
07-07-2007, 09:15 PM
I've got more! hahaha

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/seafood/lobster_n_shrimp-009.jpg
Do the walls of your home have family photos or food pics? If you ever need a job you can make menu boards for Asian restaurants. " Give me #4 no MSG please"

FatDad
07-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Oh my Gawd !!
That looks delicious !!

CarbonToe
07-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks. We ended up cooking the Lobster on Saturday and then just grilling some sausages, marinated prawns, chicken peices, chicken stuffed with sausage and wrapped in bacon, corn and some other things on the sunday.