PDA

View Full Version : Help!

agoldswo
02-09-2021, 01:38 PM
Hey all, mom's birthday today, and I picked up some monster ribeyes, going to reverse sear on the gmg pellet pooper, with some roasted garlic compound butter. They're about 2 inches thick & roughly 2 pounds each. How early should I pull them out of the fridge before I cook them?

sudsandswine
02-09-2021, 01:40 PM
I take my steaks out to season them right after I light the grill. I don’t really worry about bringing them to room temp or anything like that, if that happens then so be it. I just season them and let the sweat until the grill is where I want it to be.

agoldswo
02-09-2021, 01:47 PM
Thats normally what I do as well, I just don't wanna mess up these 40 dollar steaks lol

Gore
02-09-2021, 01:48 PM
Depends how you like them. If you want a uniform doneness, then pull them out at least an hour in advance. If you like a large gradient with a deeper red in the center, then throw them on directly out of the fridge. There is no right or wrong answer. It is just preference. I like them both ways, but normally take them out an hour (or even two) in advance because then I don't have to worry about the center being too rare for the wimps who might be eating with me.

Titch
02-09-2021, 01:49 PM
What Gore said,

Shiz-Nit
02-09-2021, 02:19 PM
What Gore said,

Agree also

ModelMaker
02-09-2021, 02:24 PM
I think you already knew the answer, you just wanted to showboat them steaks...
Ed

Smoking Piney
02-09-2021, 04:47 PM
I take my steaks out to season them right after I light the grill. I don’t really worry about bringing them to room temp or anything like that, if that happens then so be it. I just season them and let the sweat until the grill is where I want it to be.

Yup.

You're cooking to IT on a reverse sear, so letting the steak come to room temp is not a factor.

Nomamm
02-09-2021, 10:15 PM
Piney said it perfect. No reason to let it come to room temp. It will take longer to bring up to you preferred sear temp though in the pellet pooper, but you will get more smoke flavor.

My steaks get seasoned and put back in the fridge and straight to my waiting pooper.

pmad
02-10-2021, 11:40 AM
I had a chef from Weber explain to me that you want a cut of meat to sit out an hour or two. A cold steak will clench and become tougher. (assuming you're using high heat)
Not necessary for low heat of sous vide

Burgers you want to put on straight from the fridge as the clench will help them keep their shape.