PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new range. Ideas?

Mikhail
02-03-2021, 10:17 PM
Heating up some ham, my oven element started sparking like the video below. It's about 16 years old, so I'm thinking it is not worth putting money into. While I'd love to have an induction range, the ones I would want are pretty pricey and we already have a gas hookup.

Any suggestions? Anyone have a range they just love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mQwXKHUGWY&ab_channel=climbjm

TravelingJ
02-03-2021, 10:50 PM
I really like that ours has the long griddle feature built into the middle of it. We use that quite a bit. My grates all sit even, so it's easy for me to slide a pot across the entire thing (I'll often start on the big burner, then run it to a smaller one on the other side, so it's nice not having a lip to deal with) Part of me wishes that I had a dual fuel that used a gas range with an electric oven...but that's just because I read that it's better and that makes me want it.. I'm starting to see 'air fryer' as an option built into a lot of them. I thought the convection oven was basically the same thing, so I don't know there.

My niece has one with the divider so you can run 2 temps in the oven, that seems handy. I don't like the control touch screens on the front of hers-it's easy to bump and shut things off on accident.

Happy Hapgood
02-04-2021, 12:54 AM
If I had a gas hookup I would go gas all the way. 9 times cheaper and better control.

Just my .02

BeardedBassGuy
02-04-2021, 01:46 AM
You can (most likely) replace that heating element yourself with a screwdriver, pliers, and less than 15 minutes. Turn off the power obviously. Remove the old one, take it to a local appliance place, get a new one for less that $100, put it in. I just did our 20 year old one about a month ago it was $45. Works way better now. Just in-time for us to move into our new house :oops:

Shiz-Nit
02-04-2021, 05:00 AM
In our old house we had a LG that I replaced the heating element on it several times and it was only around 7 years old.

The new house here now we have a kitchen aid double oven with a kitchen aid natural gas cooktop.

PatAttack
02-04-2021, 06:32 AM
If feasible, gas all the way.

No question.

Curt.P
02-04-2021, 06:55 AM
Freestanding or slide-in? Width? I have 30" freestanding gas Samsung that has to be rebooted once a month. I will not buy another 30" range with a middle griddle - I can't use any of the other burners on my Samsung when the griddle is in place. Before that was a Kitchenaid electric with a Schott smooth top. It was ok, but I wouldn't buy either one again.

I've been shopping for a new gas range. Right now I'm leaning towards Miele, but BlueStar, Wolf and Viking are also being considered. If I don't go with Miele, it will probably be BlueStar since I can get one with open burners. All of the others use sealed burners on their 30" freestanding ranges.

LloydQ
02-04-2021, 06:59 AM
Lots of people love gas cooktops but don't like gas ovens. You sacrifice oven space with gas. I had one once, and I did not care for it. Maybe it was in my head, but I swear I could taste that gas odor.
You can replace that element easily for about $50 as someone mentioned earlier. Maybe do that and start saving for the induction range?

gtsum
02-04-2021, 07:07 AM
We recently changed from an electric range and top to a gas top and electric oven (ge profile). They work great and I much prefer gas cooktop over electric but induction is likely the way to go. The only downside to me is they don’t look as good as a heavy duty industrial looking gas cooktop with cast iron grates etc. In fact, that’s what we didn’t go with an induction cook top....I didn’t like the aesthetics (shallow I know, but what can u do?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Callahan-que
02-04-2021, 07:47 AM
We've been cooking on a gas range for years and love it. You have better control with gas vs electric. As far as ovens are concerned electric would be a better choice if you were doing alot of baking, cakes, breads, etc.

jzadski
02-04-2021, 08:06 AM
I too would try the cheap route first by replacing the element. Next would be gas and I would avoid Samsung. We, our family and friends have Samsung products and nobody is happy with their's. Seems no matter what brand (common ones) anymore it's a crap shoot. My best luck was from Lowes on their floor models. Good luck!

ferdelious
02-04-2021, 08:31 AM
Always gas if it's an option. And double oven if you're doing a range/oven combo. I have an LG and love it.

JAKs Q & brew
02-04-2021, 10:21 AM
I've been shopping for a new gas range. Right now I'm leaning towards Miele, but BlueStar, Wolf and Viking are also being considered. If I don't go with Miele, it will probably be BlueStar since I can get one with open burners. All of the others use sealed burners on their 30" freestanding ranges.

I love my Blue Star and would recommend it 100 times over a Wolf or Viking for about the same $. The 22k btu burners are no joke (I think they have 25k now too) and open burners are so much better than sealed. It's almost to the point I can't cook on regular residential ranges anymore.

The broiler is also top notch.

cholloway
02-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Unless your cookware is already induction compatible,
there will be that expense also.
Aluminum and glass won't work if they don't have magnetic
bottoms.

jzadski
02-04-2021, 12:13 PM
Ok Mik so you motivated me. Just got done getting the convection fan working again and doing a major clean of the outsides of the stove and cubby hole it sits in. Thanks! I got a bunch of brownie points from the wife :grin:

robertm
02-04-2021, 12:59 PM
My only recommendation would be stay with gas range and get one with a griddle insert if that's something you think you'd use. They are pretty awesome for pancakes, bacon etc.

Curt.P
02-04-2021, 01:09 PM
I love my Blue Star and would recommend it 100 times over a Wolf or Viking for about the same $. The 22k btu burners are no joke (I think they have 25k now too) and open burners are so much better than sealed. It's almost to the point I can't cook on regular residential ranges anymore.

The broiler is also top notch.
Appreciate the input! Is yours a 30" or are you one of the lucky ones with a 36", 48" or 60"? I've been looking at the 30" RNB304BPMV2C with the double pro-style door. Wife isn't quite on board yet, but maybe I won't reset the Samsung next time it crashes and tell her it has to be replaced :mrgreen:

toys4dlr
02-04-2021, 05:22 PM
Appreciate the input! Is yours a 30" or are you one of the lucky ones with a 36", 48" or 60"? I've been looking at the 30" RNB304BPMV2C with the double pro-style door. Wife isn't quite on board yet, but maybe I won't reset the Samsung next time it crashes and tell her it has to be replaced :mrgreen:

Not to help hi jack the thread, but I had a Bluestar RNB304 in our other house. Great range, but make sure you have sufficient hood power to handle the beast.

I moved to an all electric house and don't have the option, but I would have bought the Bluestar all over again. They can be a little touchy on the ignitors if got wet, but that is the only issue I had and it was minor at best.

I went with an induction cooktop at the new house. While, I still liked my 22k burners on the blue star, the induction is so much better than radiant heat electric burners.

Big George's BBQ
02-04-2021, 05:26 PM
I had propane and was able to switch to natural gas. Had to get a new stove because I could not get a $15 part to change from propane to natural gas. Have a GE Cafe and I do like it

Biloxidman
02-04-2021, 06:37 PM
We’ve had a JennAire electric convection oven with gas’s burners on the stovetop for about 20 years. I got the griddle and grill attachments that you can swap out one of the two burner gas modules with when you want. Great setup.

mike243
02-04-2021, 07:25 PM
I bought a whirlpool gas range about 5 years ago, has the black enamel top, get stainless if going gas, electric is way more versatile than gas, try simmering something on every eye on a gas range and you will find you cant, a electric or induction is no problem, If I didn't love my cast iron I would be saving for a induction. Your really not supposed to use cast iron on the flat glass surfaces , I see folks posting they do all the time but I have read they sell plates to put down so you don't damage the top. the less electronics the better you be lol cant have a induction without a lot of electronics , keep a warranty on them if you can

JAKs Q & brew
02-04-2021, 08:04 PM

I put a huge part of my remodel budget into my stove(s). Total crap cabinets and counter tops left enough for awesomeness.

I have a 36" 6 burner (3 22k burners, 1 simmer, 2 standard) sitting right next to a 24" full griddle top.

Basically it's a 60" but with one full size 36" oven and one small 24". Plus you get a 24" griddle and all the burners are next to each other.

It also ended up significantly cheaper since the 24 was a floor model that they already had marked down.

Mikhail
02-04-2021, 10:28 PM
Thanks, all!

Now you got me looking at Blue Stars... nice stuff - pricey, but not really compared to induction ranges.

I would not consider a Samsung anything. We had to replace our Samsung washer at 7 years and have recently had trouble with a four year old Samsung dryer. Our 10 year old Samsung dishwasher has recently decided to start itself at night several times, so we have to keep the switch turned off if we aren't using it.

IamMadMan
02-05-2021, 07:04 AM
I have to agree with some of the others; while induction is easy to clean, it just doesn't have the ump to fire a large wok or a large paella pan.

We shopped and compared for about 6 months and wound up purchasing a Wolf commercial stove. My wife didn't care for the trademark red knobs, but we were able to order it with black knobs. After having this for over 10 years, there is still nothing we do not like about the stove / range / oven.

Take your time and do your homework; compare and compare again. What works for me or someone else, may not be what would be ideal for you and your family.

BDAABAT
02-05-2021, 07:49 AM
We re did the kitchen in 2014 and only had space for a 30” range. We went with the GE Cafe and have been thrilled with it ever since.

High output burners, center griddle available, slide pots around to different sections a without issue, ability to simmer...it works very well for us. The oven has really good space, convection works well, and the warming drawer is functional.

https://www.brayandscarff.com/search/?q=ranges&min-price=&max-price=&brand%5B%5D=Cafe&filter=true

Bruce

toys4dlr
02-05-2021, 10:22 AM
Once you go open burners like the Bluestar, you will never want to go back. I loved cooking on our commercial stoves in the restaurant and IMO the Bluestar is as close to that you can get at home. But, that said budget for a good hood, I installed a vent a hood.

As Iamadman said, induction is great, but you can't wok like a big 22k open burner. On The bluestar, you just removed the center part of the grate and it created a built in wok ring. The fire goes around and up the wok to create the "dragon breath" effect of a blazing hot wok. The induction can't get the sides of the wok hot without over heating the bottom and really, a flat bottom wok does not work as well as a hand hammered round wok. I do miss that part.

I found a bluestar on ebay 5 years ago, I got it for 2999.99 smoking deal. They are out there, just do your homework.

glitchy
02-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Just curious, have you looked the the Fridgidaire Gallery Induction? They are more reasonably priced than a lot of others. We don't have a gas hookup, so I have been planning to replace our electric with induction when the time comes.

The new model with the air fryer has a few bad reviews, but when I really started reading them closely, it really sounds like 1 or 2 people had issues and left like 10 negative reviews each. The model previous they had for a couple years before that generally got good reviews and I'm guessing not that much has really changed since an air fryer is really just a convection oven anyway with a frying basket.

mjpmap
02-05-2021, 12:10 PM
Absolutely love this Jennair gas downdraft. No need for a hood as everything is vented down and out under the floor. The left side functions either as an indoor grill or griddle. Its eleven years old now and still works flawlessly.

C Rocke
02-05-2021, 02:19 PM
Bosch Induction 800 Series when we redid our kitchen. We are all electric, and it's a short learning curve, plus some great features. Like having the flat glass top as extra countertop "real estate".

toys4dlr
02-05-2021, 03:57 PM
Just curious, have you looked the the Fridgidaire Gallery Induction? They are more reasonably priced than a lot of others. We don't have a gas hookup, so I have been planning to replace our electric with induction when the time comes.

The new model with the air fryer has a few bad reviews, but when I really started reading them closely, it really sounds like 1 or 2 people had issues and left like 10 negative reviews each. The model previous they had for a couple years before that generally got good reviews and I'm guessing not that much has really changed since an air fryer is really just a convection oven anyway with a frying basket.

I actually got the Frigidaire Gallery cooktop, was able to purchase it for under 900 bucks. Real easy install and has been working very well. I looked at more expensive induction cooktops, but I was a little concerned I would not like the style, so I thought I could take a 900 dollar flyer on it. Almost all of my cookware was induction ready, so no issues there. I like the flat top, no knobs for cleaning, but it is just ok in the sense of response. What I really appreciate about induction, is that there is little additional radiant heat put out. You don't realize how much additional heat is generated under and around the pan to get it to temp with gas or standard electric.

Mikhail
02-09-2021, 10:00 AM

My current dual fuel is a Frigidaire Professional Series and has performed pretty well for 16 years, with the exceptions noted.

STCL01
02-09-2021, 11:26 AM
If I didn't love my cast iron I would be saving for a induction. Your really not supposed to use cast iron on the flat glass surfaces , I see folks posting they do all the time but I have read they sell plates to put down so you don't damage the top.

We just installed a GE induction top to replace an old Thermador that was there when we bought the house. As for cast iron, yes, you can use it on an induction. Obviously, the best would be to use enamel clad cast iron. However, the easy way is just to buy a roll of parchment paper. Tear off what you need and place under your cast iron and cook. No scratches, and no issues. By the way the wife loves the induction top. You get really good control. No, gas is not an option for us as there is no line to the kitchen island where the cooktop resides.