PDA

View Full Version : How long do you season wood chunks

Biloxidman
02-01-2021, 10:03 PM
Got a 5 gallon bucket of hickory and one of Cherry from just cut trees. How long do you usually season before using?

TC Smoke & Que
02-02-2021, 04:52 AM
That depends on where you store them. Outside will slow the process down because of moisture in the air, unless you have them in a well ventilated area. For chunks, I would suggest an inside location, and once every couple of weeks dump the buckets and then refill; this way those on the bottom get more drying air. Get yourself a moisture meter, it will tell you when you are down to about 15 - 18 % moisture, which is ideal.
Putting them on a wire rack will help speed up the process; outside, top cover from elements. Inside, let them dry.

bowhnter
02-02-2021, 05:38 AM
Just to speed up the above process, Get a 5 gal bucket from Lowe’s or HD and a cheap light with a bulb.
Drill a hole in the bottom for the cord, form a screen or wire mesh above the light to protect the bulb and hold the chunks up.
Add your wood chunks. Rotate every week or so.
As mentioned, get a moisture meter.

Biloxidman
02-02-2021, 06:54 AM
Thanks. Right now they’re in 5 gallon buckets in my garage. I’ll rotate them and spread them out for awhile. I was thinking it would be at least a couple of months.

1MoreFord
02-02-2021, 08:47 PM
Being you appear to be in Biloxi, MS it will take longer than it would take in AZ.

Heat, low humidity, and air flow are what dry wood. Do what you can to aid these components.

rm41400
02-02-2021, 08:53 PM
Yeah at least a couple months if your using them exclusively. I mix dry wood with my greener wood. The greener wood will smoke a little longer and dry will burn out faster. Seemed to stretch the smoke nicely.

The length of your cuts makes the biggest difference in dry time short stubby cuts will dry quickly. Firewood length of red/white oak take up to a year or more outside to fully cure

Happy Hapgood
02-03-2021, 12:24 AM
I don't always season my wood but when I do I use salt and alittle Oakridge Santa Maria rub. Does not take long.

TC Smoke & Que
02-03-2021, 05:11 AM
I don't always season my wood but when I do I use salt and alittle Oakridge Santa Maria rub. Does not take long.

Just for "Extra Flavoring" right?