PDA

View Full Version : New Pit Boss 1150

Whooleybugger1
01-27-2021, 08:07 AM
Good morning all,

I am new to the forum and am looking forward to some good conversation, tips and tricks. I just bought a Pit Boss 1150 Pro Series. I have done salmon, filet mignon and chicken breast on it, all turned out good. Last night when I had the chicken on and the Pit Boss set 225F degrees and I had a probe on the grate "at the meat", the Pit Boss temp would not go above 200 and the probe on the grate at the meat stayed around 185. I increased the temp to 250F with very little change then I opened the flame broiler a bit which did raise the temp a little. I didn't want to go to 300F (can't go to 275F) and lose my good smoke. I was adjusting the chimney also. It was about 25F outside last night so I know that played a factor. Just looking for tips on better temperature control in cold weather and if what I experienced is normal for cold weather. I did read some negative reviews on Pit Boss about its ability to hold temps. Doing burgers tonight.

Callahan-que
01-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Can't help you with the cold weather cooking advise. Just wanted to let you know both my pit boss Austin xl and tailgater hold Temps pretty damn good here in north Florida.

SweetHeatBBQnSC
01-27-2021, 08:59 AM
Check the probe and your thermometer make sure they are accurate. Also, make sure you clean your thermocouple inside the pellet grill after every few cooks. I don't think the thermocouple should be a problem yet. Just throwing ideas out.

Callahan-que
01-27-2021, 09:33 AM
You could try throwing a welding blanket over it. 25F is pretty cold and I would say that definately was a factor.

Whooleybugger1
01-27-2021, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking forwad to warmer weather!!!

smokin'hoogie
01-28-2021, 12:51 AM
ditto on the thermo blanket. Assuming your cooker is totally out in the open see if its possible for it to be shielded from the wind in some fashion. I keep my pellet grill under an overhang and protected from 2 sides and if its windy and cold I would prop up thin particle board as an added layer.

jzadski
01-28-2021, 06:33 AM
I use an old towel to cover my rec tec and seems to work pretty well. I do have it in a shed though and keep the chimney just outside the opening.

TravelingJ
01-28-2021, 02:24 PM
The wind can make a big difference on that style of cooker, as well as winter temps. I used a Harbor Freight welding blanked when I had one, and the impact was significant. You can probably by a form fitting insulated cover these days, but I had a model that it wasn't offered for.

cowgirl
01-28-2021, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the forum!