PDA

View Full Version : Fireboard 2 Drive. I love this thing.

Chester
01-16-2021, 09:28 AM
My brother surprised me with an early Bday present last weekend on the day I brought home my new Limo Jr. I had an old Guru DX2 that I had planned on using and got a new Guru 10cfm fan to use with it. My brother surprised me with the Fireboard Drive 2, and it was literally a plug and play operation with the Guru fan and my phone.

Currently, I am sitting at a tire shop getting some new tires put on the car about a half hour from home monitoring two 8-9 pound pork butts that are cooking on the limo.

The Fireboard runs like a champ along with the Limo Jr. I set the pit temp at 250. The fan is wide open. The Fireboard brought the temp of the pit from a starting temp of 43 degrees up to 250 within 45-50 minutes. It over shot by 6 degrees and then leveled off in 60 minutes total from starting at 43 degrees. It is maintaining the pit temp within just a few degrees since with the exception of when I put the Butts on. Last week I got in excess from of 16 hours off the battery powering the unit and fan. Nothing plugged into an outlet.

Chester
01-16-2021, 11:47 AM
Update. Still humming along. Have 2 decent size butts on the Limo Jr.

Chester
01-16-2021, 11:49 AM

It’s a really windy day here and cold for Florida. No issues with the Fireboard and Limo Jr. combo.

Question for you Fireboard users. How do you get a clear screen shot? I did a screen shot from the iPhone but the picture is blurry.

Chester
01-16-2021, 08:49 PM
BBQ pork butt using Kosmos Honey Killer Bee

Carnitas BBQ pork using home brew rub

Quite happy with the performance of the Limi Jr. and Fireboard combo today.

Rico559
01-16-2021, 10:13 PM
Can't say anything for iphones, but on android I just hold the power and volume switch and it takes a screenshot with option to edit real quick.

I have the Fireboard 2 Drive and also love it! One word of caution for those using the ball valve adapter: make sure it's on there tight or regulate flow with the ball valve, not just the damper on the fan. Mine was holding for a couple of hours +/- 2º and then started creeping up on me. 275º up to 300º in about 30 minutes. I'm running a Kat small vault and briquettes in a maze with firebrick. I noticed drive fan was just loose enough to allow more air in with the natural draft and it looks like my fire "jumped" in the maze. At some point I'll learn to run with the fan damper wide open and close down the ball valve, but lesson learned: set a high temp alarm 10º above your set point!

Chester
01-19-2021, 08:37 AM
Here is Monday's cook. Took the limo and Fireboard for another spin cooking some chicken. Cooked mostly at 300 but ramped up to 325 for the final 20 minutes. Skin came out perfect and crisp. The quarter is seasoned with Everglades Traditional seasoning. The smaller thigh is Kosmos Wing Dust, and the larger thigh is Kosmos Honey Killer Bee.

Also reheated some the pork butt form a few days earlier.

SlowmotionQue
01-22-2021, 07:56 PM
Fireboard 2Drive here as well, and it is very impressive.

-Chris-
01-23-2021, 07:05 AM
I have the original Fireboard which is pretty excellent. The "competition" probes are very fragile. I have broken 4 out of the 6 in 2 years. Before they stop working, they will report incorrect temps, be careful with that.

I had over 10 years on my BBQ Guru probes with no issues. I am not sure why the wires are so fragile. Honestly, it is making me look for an alternative to the Fireboard.

Chris

Chester
01-23-2021, 07:43 AM
I have the original Fireboard which is pretty excellent. The "competition" probes are very fragile. I have broken 4 out of the 6 in 2 years. Before they stop working, they will report incorrect temps, be careful with that.

I had over 10 years on my BBQ Guru probes with no issues. I am not sure why the wires are so fragile. Honestly, it is making me look for an alternative to the Fireboard.

Chris

I’ve heard good things regarding the toughness of Fireboard probes, but they certainly haven’t been around as long as BBQ Guru.

Do you know if you can use the Guru probes on the Fireboard? I know that the Fireboard can work with many different types of probes, but not sure if they are compatible with Guru probes. I know the Guru fan works well with the Fireboard drive. I have Guru probe stashed away somewhere. Maybe need to dig it out next time I fire up the Limo.

-Chris-
01-23-2021, 08:28 AM
I’ve heard good things regarding the toughness of Fireboard probes, but they certainly haven’t been around as long as BBQ Guru.

Do you know if you can use the Guru probes on the Fireboard? I know that the Fireboard can work with many different types of probes, but not sure if they are compatible with Guru probes. I know the Guru fan works well with the Fireboard drive. I have Guru probe stashed away somewhere. Maybe need to dig it out next time I fire up the Limo.

No, the BBQ Guru probes have a larger plug. I am using the guru fan with my fireboard, it works perfectly.

I have the "upgraded" competition series probes. Maybe they are more fragile than the standard probes. Having 4 of the 6 probes not working after 2 years or so is pretty unacceptable to me. I called Fireboard and they simply said they were out of warranty and offered to sell me a new set.

They are buying these probes from some Chinese mfg, I just haven't put in the time to figure out from where yet. They are standard thermistor probes. I do not know if other MFGs probes will fit.

Chris

darita
01-23-2021, 08:44 AM
I used to think my CyberQ produced rock solid temps in my PrimoXL. When I got my FB2D, I used it to monitor temps controlled by the CyberQ. I found that the CyberQ peaks and valleys were much, much greater than what the CyberQ showed. Now with the FB2D in control, temps are much flatter and consistent, not to mention the ease of the user interface.

FrankZ
01-23-2021, 09:24 AM
No, the BBQ Guru probes have a larger plug. I am using the guru fan with my fireboard, it works perfectly.

I have the "upgraded" competition series probes. Maybe they are more fragile than the standard probes. Having 4 of the 6 probes not working after 2 years or so is pretty unacceptable to me. I called Fireboard and they simply said they were out of warranty and offered to sell me a new set.

They are buying these probes from some Chinese mfg, I just haven't put in the time to figure out from where yet. They are standard thermistor probes. I do not know if other MFGs probes will fit.

Chris

Why do you need to use the competition probes?

I have the original chamber probes that came with my Fireboard sitting in the smoker. They are out there full time since I bought it. They still work fine.

I bent a meat probe closing a door on it, it still works. I don't use the competition probes though.

-Chris-
01-23-2021, 10:09 AM
Why do you need to use the competition probes?

I wrongly assumed they were more durable being for "competition" after all. :biggrin1:

If I buy a new set, I will go with the regular probes.

Chris

Chester
01-23-2021, 10:09 AM
I have heard that Thermaworks probes work with Fireboard. Don’t have any to try though.

FrankZ
01-25-2021, 07:51 PM
I wrongly assumed they were more durable being for "competition" after all. :biggrin1:

If I buy a new set, I will go with the regular probes.

Chris

I had figured they were more precise but they looked skinnier.

SlowmotionQue
01-26-2021, 12:26 AM
I have heard that Thermaworks probes work with Fireboard. Don’t have any to try though.

The Thermaworks probes do work with the Fireboard 2 Drive.

The Weber iGrill probes work with it too.

However the BBQ Guru probes are larger and won't work with the FB2 Drive.

Shiz-Nit
01-26-2021, 06:02 AM
All looks good